Vista versus The Gutsy Gibbon - Ubuntu 7.10 - Linux

This is a discussion on Vista versus The Gutsy Gibbon - Ubuntu 7.10 - Linux ; I'm currently using seven computers....My XP systems, I like....My Ubuntu boxes, I love.... Then there's the work Ubuntu computer, on which I do just about everything when I'm in the office. On Friday, I decided to update it from 7.04 ...

  1. Vista versus The Gutsy Gibbon - Ubuntu 7.10

    I'm currently using seven computers....My XP systems, I like....My
    Ubuntu boxes, I love....

    Then there's the work Ubuntu computer, on which I do just about
    everything when I'm in the office. On Friday, I decided to update it
    from 7.04 to 7.10. That took a single click - no, honestly - in the
    system software manager, and about ten minutes downtime, most of which
    was me playing about. While most of the software was downloading and
    installing itself, I could carry on working.

    And 7.10 is really rather nice; I find myself enjoying the various
    windows animation gimmicks more than I expected. I particularly
    enjoyed installing some new Firefox add-ins that needed a browser
    restart: as the old instance closed, the window shrank into the
    distance, and a second later the new instance sprang into life as if
    it was being thrown onto the screen from behind me. The tabs I had
    open were carried across the restart - stylish, fun and minimally
    invasive. Oh, and 7.10 found the ZDNet editorial printer on the
    network and installed the correct driver, without fuss. Superb.

    [troubles upgrading at home...partition too small...]

    Which leaves my Vista machine....And it's not been a good
    experience....
    But mostly: it's slow, it's intrusive, and it's arbitrarily different.
    It takes minutes to wake up from various sleep states or from a
    restart; minutes in which parts of the system seem to get going only
    to lapse into an unresponsive state where you're not at all sure
    whether your mouse clicks are registering. When you're going through a
    lot of restarts (as in, say, when you're trying to diagnose a wireless
    network problem), that adds up to a lot of pain.

    Elsewhere, it behaves like XP behaves on a 256MB computer, only it's
    running in 2GB. Everything is just... slow....[other troubles listed]

    (I won't mention the dead laptop at work that's dead because the
    Windows Genuine Advantage system has decided that its copy of Vista is
    illegitimate. It came in as a review machine, without the usual
    documentation, so we don't have the OEM's licence key. We do have the
    OEM's Vista still installed, but that's Not Good Enough.)

    [Long, long time Windows user, going way back...]

    Then how come I'm so much more at home with Ubuntu than Vista? It
    boils down to one abiding impression: Ubuntu goes out of its way to
    get out of your way, even if it doesn't succeed all the time. Vista
    goes out of its way to be Vista and enforce the Vista way. You must
    conform regardless of the implications.

    http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,...331777b,00.htm

  2. Re: Vista versus The Gutsy Gibbon - Ubuntu 7.10

    wrote
    news:1193160908.490906.34990@v23g2000prn.googlegro ups.com...

    *plonk*

  3. Re: Vista versus The Gutsy Gibbon - Ubuntu 7.10

    some idiot forging chrisv wrote:

    > wrote
    >news:1193160908.490906.34990@v23g2000prn.googlegro ups.com...
    >>

    >*plonk*

    Ignore the forger.

  4. Re: Vista versus The Gutsy Gibbon - Ubuntu 7.10

    On Oct 23, 1:35 pm, "ness...@wigner.berkeley.edu"
    wrote:

    > I'm currently using seven computers....My XP systems, I like....My
    > Ubuntu boxes, I love....

    [snip]

    > Which leaves my Vista machine....And it's not been a good
    > experience....

    Seems to be a more and more common theme. One article suggested that
    Novell should watch out for Ubuntu.
    Not sure why Red Hat is still ignoring the desktop, but if they don't
    want it, a nice competition between SUSE and Ubuntu
    would be GREAT!.

    That's what so great about Linux There's lots of competition between
    the distributors, but the core system is very standardized.
    Users can pick their "Look and Feel" which is quite subjective, a
    matter of taste. But the Framework - there's an investment.

    Once you have learned to drive a car with an automatic transmission,
    you can easily switch from one vehicle to another. Once you have
    learned to use one Linux system, switching to another is like making
    the transition from a Ford Torus to a Saturn - you might need to look
    for the Window washers, headlight switch, and emergency brakes, but
    the shifting, steering, brakes are in the standard positions, which
    means that you can be driving it copetently in about 15-20 minutes.

    Windows pundits seem to think that "There can be only one". If
    Microsoft moves the icons around, it's "better", but if a third party
    or an OEM moves them around, they have "ruined" the machine.

    > But mostly: it's slow, it's intrusive, and it's arbitrarily different.
    > It takes minutes to wake up from various sleep states or from a
    > restart; minutes in which parts of the system seem to get going only
    > to lapse into an unresponsive state where you're not at all sure
    > whether your mouse clicks are registering. When you're going through a
    > lot of restarts (as in, say, when you're trying to diagnose a wireless
    > network problem), that adds up to a lot of pain.
    >
    > Elsewhere, it behaves like XP behaves on a 256MB computer, only it's
    > running in 2GB. Everything is just... slow....[other troubles listed]

    This has been the biggest problem for Vista. When I go into a store,
    I don't have an eye-popping experience that says "wow, this is really
    different" like I have with Mac and OS/X or Linux with Beryl. Vista
    came out at it was more like "ho hum" and "how come it's so slow?".

    The Mac users are chomping at the bit to brag on Leopard. The Linux
    community is looking forward to KDE 4.0. Microsoft fired it's "big
    guns" and the balls bounced off. Meanwhile, Linux and Mac are pulling
    out incindiary missles that are going to make a lot of OEMs start to
    burn. Let's face it. Apple has had a 65 percent growth rate, and has
    grown to nearly 2 million PCs with rediculously high profit margins,
    by selling the machines with OS/X. Vista PCs couldn't even hold their
    price through the OEM negotiating cycle. Microsoft might even WANT
    the courts to extend the sanctions a year at a time, because at this
    moment, the OEMs might be ready to tell Microsoft to "Take a hike".

    > (I won't mention the dead laptop at work that's dead because the
    > Windows Genuine Advantage system has decided that its copy of Vista is
    > illegitimate.

    Unfortunately, this one has been doing a fair amount of damage. It
    has led many corporate evaluators to decide that Vista should not be
    adopted. At this point, many corporate customers are balancing
    options including staying with Windows XP (and cancelling or reducing
    the support contracts), switching some users to Linux, or even a
    combination - adding Linux for new functionality rather than upgrading
    to Vista or eliminating XP altogether.

    > It came in as a review machine, without the usual documentation, so we don't have the OEM's licence key. We do have the
    > OEM's Vista still installed, but that's Not Good Enough.)

    It seems that the OEMs have stopped putting stickers on the bottom of
    the laptops or the back of the desktops?

    > http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,...7o-2000331777b,...

  5. Re: Vista versus The Gutsy Gibbon - Ubuntu 7.10

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu

    wrote
    on Tue, 23 Oct 2007 10:35:08 -0700
    <1193160908.490906.34990@v23g2000prn.googlegroups.c om>:

    > I'm currently using seven computers....My XP systems, I like....My
    > Ubuntu boxes, I love....

    [snip Ubuntu happiness for brevity]

    > Which leaves my Vista machine....And it's not been a good
    > experience....
    > But mostly: it's slow, it's intrusive, and it's arbitrarily different.
    > It takes minutes to wake up from various sleep states or from a
    > restart; minutes in which parts of the system seem to get going only
    > to lapse into an unresponsive state where you're not at all sure
    > whether your mouse clicks are registering. When you're going through a
    > lot of restarts (as in, say, when you're trying to diagnose a wireless
    > network problem), that adds up to a lot of pain.
    >
    > Elsewhere, it behaves like XP behaves on a 256MB computer, only it's
    > running in 2GB. Everything is just... slow....[other troubles listed]
    >
    > (I won't mention the dead laptop at work that's dead because the
    > Windows Genuine Advantage system has decided that its copy of Vista is
    > illegitimate. It came in as a review machine, without the usual
    > documentation, so we don't have the OEM's licence key. We do have the
    > OEM's Vista still installed, but that's Not Good Enough.)

    Pedant Point: If this is indeed a software issue, then one
    could revive that "dead" laptop presumably by installing
    something else on it.

    Something like...oh, I dunno...Ubuntu, maybe? :-D

    Granted, there's a risk some hardware won't work, but it's
    better than nothing working at all because Vista doesn't
    like the license.

    (How many feet does Microsoft *have*? And why does Microsoft
    insist on shooting them off one at a time with a howitzer?
    Sheesh.)

    > [Long, long time Windows user, going way back...]
    >
    > Then how come I'm so much more at home with Ubuntu than Vista? It
    > boils down to one abiding impression: Ubuntu goes out of its way to
    > get out of your way, even if it doesn't succeed all the time. Vista
    > goes out of its way to be Vista and enforce the Vista way. You must
    > conform regardless of the implications.
    >

    > http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,...331777b,00.htm

    I like the last line:

    Call me curmudgeonly, call me prejudiced, call me atypical, but
    isn't computing all about doing what users want?

    How old-fashioned. :-)

    The comments regarding Ubuntu are overwhelmingly positive as well.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    "640K ought to be enough for anybody."
    - allegedly said by Bill Gates, 1981, but somebody had to make this up!

  6. Re: Vista versus The Gutsy Gibbon - Ubuntu 7.10

    chrisv AKA nym-thief Clogwog wrote:
    > wrote
    >
    > news:1193160908.490906.34990@v23g2000prn.googlegro ups.com...
    >

    > *plonk*

    Hi, CLogwog.

    --
    HPT

  7. Re: Vista versus The Gutsy Gibbon - Ubuntu 7.10

    On Oct 24, 7:10 am, Rex Ballard wrote:

    > Of course, like so many PC users, I don't want to give up Windows
    > entirely, so I ordered the machine with Windows XP instead of Vista,
    > which allows me to install XP Professional as a VMWare Client or call
    > Windows applications from WINE. The VMWare image is easier to back-
    > up, easier to recover, and includes the entire configuration. I have

    How do you install the OEM version of Windows XP as a VMWare Client?

    I thought that the OEM version of Windows XP is tied to the bios of
    the machine and since the VMWare virtual bios doesn't match, the OEM
    version of Windows XP won't install. At least this has been my
    experience.

    If you have any way around this, I'd like to know...

+ Reply to Thread