NEWS - "Desktop Linux? Stick a Fork in It!" - Linux

This is a discussion on NEWS - "Desktop Linux? Stick a Fork in It!" - Linux ; Desktop Linux? Stick a Fork in It! http://weblog.infoworld.com/enterpri...p_linux_s.html [quote] It's over. The magic is gone. The dream is dead. The egg has fallen off the wall and no amount of "sudo" super glue can put his pieces back together again. ...

  1. NEWS - "Desktop Linux? Stick a Fork in It!"

    Desktop Linux? Stick a Fork in It!

    http://weblog.infoworld.com/enterpri...p_linux_s.html

    [quote]

    It's over. The magic is gone. The dream is dead. The egg has fallen off the
    wall and no amount of "sudo" super glue can put his pieces back together
    again.

    So I say it's time for the Penguin-huggers to face facts: When it comes to
    Linux on the desktop, stick a fork in it!
    [-quote]

  2. Re: NEWS - "Desktop Linux? Stick a Fork in It!"

    Simon Templar wrote:

    > Desktop Linux? Stick a Fork in It!

    http://weblog.infoworld.com/enterpri...p_linux_s.html

    > [quote]
    >
    > It's over. The magic is gone. The dream is dead. The egg has fallen off
    > the wall and no amount of "sudo" super glue can put his pieces back
    > together again.
    >
    > So I say it's time for the Penguin-huggers to face facts: When it comes to
    > Linux on the desktop, stick a fork in it!
    > [-quote]

    At every development meeting you get the types that say 'I have an idea, it
    is a good idea and anyone who doesn't go along with it is plain wrong'.

    But the others at the meeting say 'We have a say too, that is why we were
    invited. If we deem your idea wrong, then you have to accept that however
    good you may think your idea, others will view it from a different angle
    and are free to deem it not so good'.

    If you are voted wrong by the majority then there is a fair chance you are
    wrong. Not always true, but when a mistake is made it is usually because
    your case was not well presented.

    There was nothing wrong with Con folking a kernel. There was also nothing
    wrong with him continuing with his optional module. People can take to it
    or leave it, it's their choice.

    Linus and the others have a well defined goal in mind. It is a goal that I
    personally agree with. That the key to Linux's success comes from the fact
    that we do have a very strong very stable kernel. It is also a very
    flexible kernel. It would be wrong to introduce anything that is overly
    specific to a group of kernel users without giving other users of the
    kernel the opt out.

    Modules allow for this. Vendors who's distros have multimedia as their
    primary target can distribute their kernel with Con's module. Those who are
    targeting embedded or dedicated kits such as firewalls/routers/washing
    machine controllers (you never know) can opt out of a module that would be
    wasted on their application.

    Con, don't be a misserable git, just because the others voted against you
    doesn't mean there is no interest in your module. Accept you may be wrong
    and move on.

  3. Re: NEWS - "Desktop Linux? Stick a Fork in It!"

    After takin' a swig o' grog, BearItAll belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > Simon Templar wrote:
    >
    >> Desktop Linux? Stick a Fork in It!

    > At every development meeting you get the types that say 'I have an idea, it
    > is a good idea and anyone who doesn't go along with it is plain wrong'.
    >
    > But the others at the meeting say 'We have a say too, that is why we were
    > invited. If we deem your idea wrong, then you have to accept that however
    > good you may think your idea, others will view it from a different angle
    > and are free to deem it not so good'.

    That is too nuanced for the silly tit who names himself after an old
    Roger Moore character.

    --
    We have 7, and 007!

  4. Re: NEWS - "Desktop Linux? Stick a Fork in It!"

    Linonut wrote:

    > After takin' a swig o' grog, BearItAll belched out this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> Simon Templar wrote:
    >>
    >>> Desktop Linux? Stick a Fork in It!

    >> At every development meeting you get the types that say 'I have an idea,
    >> it is a good idea and anyone who doesn't go along with it is plain
    >> wrong'.
    >>
    >> But the others at the meeting say 'We have a say too, that is why we were
    >> invited. If we deem your idea wrong, then you have to accept that however
    >> good you may think your idea, others will view it from a different angle
    >> and are free to deem it not so good'.

    > That is too nuanced for the silly tit who names himself after an old
    > Roger Moore character.

    Created by Leslie Charteris, actually, who wrote "The Saint" books.

    --
    Operating systems: FreeBSD 6.2, PC-BSD 1.4,
    Testing: FreeBSD 7.0

  5. Re: NEWS - "Desktop Linux? Stick a Fork in It!"

    After takin' a swig o' grog, William Poaster belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > Linonut wrote:

    >> That is too nuanced for the silly tit who names himself after an old
    >> Roger Moore character.

    > Created by Leslie Charteris, actually, who wrote "The Saint" books.

    I doubt our troll reads books.

    --
    Tux rox!

  6. Re: NEWS - "Desktop Linux? Stick a Fork in It!"

    Linonut wrote:

    > After takin' a swig o' grog, William Poaster belched out this bit o'
    > wisdom:

    >>> That is too nuanced for the silly tit who names himself after an old
    >>> Roger Moore character.

    >> Created by Leslie Charteris, actually, who wrote "The Saint" books.

    > I doubt our troll reads books.

    Just watches the "idiot's lantern", huh..

    --
    Operating systems: FreeBSD 6.2, PC-BSD 1.4,
    Testing: FreeBSD 7.0
    Linux systems: Debian 4.0, PCLinuxOS 2007,
    Kubuntu 7.10 "Gutsy"

  7. Re: NEWS - "Desktop Linux? Stick a Fork in It!"

    "BearItAll" wrote in message
    > Simon Templar wrote:
    >
    >> Desktop Linux? Stick a Fork in It!
    >>

    > http://weblog.infoworld.com/enterpri...p_linux_s.html
    >>
    >> [quote]
    >>
    >> It's over. The magic is gone. The dream is dead. The egg has fallen off
    >> the wall and no amount of "sudo" super glue can put his pieces back
    >> together again.
    >>
    >> So I say it's time for the Penguin-huggers to face facts: When it comes
    >> Linux on the desktop, stick a fork in it!
    >> [-quote]
    >>

    > At every development meeting you get the types that say 'I have an idea,
    > it
    > is a good idea and anyone who doesn't go along with it is plain wrong'.
    >
    > But the others at the meeting say 'We have a say too, that is why we were
    > invited. If we deem your idea wrong, then you have to accept that however
    > good you may think your idea, others will view it from a different angle
    > and are free to deem it not so good'.

    Best part of the article:

    --- quote ---

    Despite all the warm, fuzzy talk of open source and community development,
    the fact remains that, at the kernel level at least, Linux is still
    controlled by a small group of elitist "prigs." And if a particular feature
    or function isn't a priority to them, it isn't a priority for Linux as a
    whole.
    Of course, this makes life that much more difficult for the Canonicals and
    Novells of this world. Stick too close to the "approved" Linux path and you
    end up with a crappy desktop experience. Stray too far, and you risk having
    your customizations broken if/when the kernel team decides to take things in
    a new direction.

    --- quote ---