Hey COLA idiots - Isn't it time for another BOYCOTT site? - Linux

This is a discussion on Hey COLA idiots - Isn't it time for another BOYCOTT site? - Linux ; http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/22...gets-bed-linux Microsoft announced yesterday that it is cosying up to Linux distributor Turbolinux, with "a business agreement" designed to improve Linux-Microsoft Windows server interoperability. The deal will also provide "Intellectual Property (IP) assurances" for Turbolinux users, the majority of whom ...

  1. Hey COLA idiots - Isn't it time for another BOYCOTT site?

    http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/22...gets-bed-linux

    Microsoft announced yesterday that it is cosying up to Linux distributor
    Turbolinux, with "a business agreement" designed to improve Linux-Microsoft
    Windows server interoperability.

    The deal will also provide "Intellectual Property (IP) assurances" for
    Turbolinux users, the majority of whom are in Japan and China.

  2. Re: Hey COLA idiots - Isn't it time for another BOYCOTT site?

    On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 11:27:34 -0400, Simon Templar wrote:

    > http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/22...gets-bed-linux
    >

    > Microsoft announced yesterday that it is cosying up to Linux distributor
    > Turbolinux, with "a business agreement" designed to improve Linux-Microsoft
    > Windows server interoperability.
    >
    > The deal will also provide "Intellectual Property (IP) assurances" for
    > Turbolinux users, the majority of whom are in Japan and China.

    Grow up.
    --

    ´When facism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a
    cross.¡

  3. Re: Hey COLA idiots - Isn't it time for another BOYCOTT site?

    ____/ bob on Tuesday 23 October 2007 17:22 : \____

    > On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 11:27:34 -0400, Simon Templar wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/22...gets-bed-linux
    >>

    >> Microsoft announced yesterday that it is cosying up to Linux distributor
    >> Turbolinux, with "a business agreement" designed to improve Linux-Microsoft
    >> Windows server interoperability.
    >>
    >> The deal will also provide "Intellectual Property (IP) assurances" for
    >> Turbolinux users, the majority of whom are in Japan and China.

    > Grow up.

    Site up too (later).

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Apprentice - fancy word for "slave"

  4. Re: Hey COLA idiots - Isn't it time for another BOYCOTT site?

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Simon Templar

    wrote
    <471e06fe$0$26466$88260bb3@free.teranews.com>:

    > http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/22...gets-bed-linux
    >

    > Microsoft announced yesterday that it is cosying up
    > to Linux distributor Turbolinux, with "a business
    > agreement" designed to improve Linux-Microsoft
    > Windows server interoperability.
    >
    > The deal will also provide "Intellectual Property
    > (IP) assurances" for Turbolinux users, the majority
    > of whom are in Japan and China.

    Hasn't Microsoft figured out yet that the patent violators
    aren't going to be the distributors (assuming the patents
    aren't total crap, of course)? They're going to be KDE,
    Gnome, Linux kernel proper, OpenOffice, the X Open group,
    and other such -- or perhaps the individuals who violated
    the patents by incorporating code re-implementing those
    patents (the code can be in a different language, even).

    But no...attack the messengers. What a brilliant strategy.
    Not.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C++ Programming Idea #12995733:
    bool f(bool g, bool h) { if(g) h = true; else h = false; return h;}

  5. Re: Hey COLA idiots - Isn't it time for another BOYCOTT site?

    On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 11:27:34 -0400, Simon Templar wrote nothing.

    *plonk*

  6. Re: Hey COLA idiots - Isn't it time for another BOYCOTT site?

    On 2007-10-23, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    > Hasn't Microsoft figured out yet that the patent violators
    > aren't going to be the distributors (assuming the patents
    > aren't total crap, of course)? They're going to be KDE,
    > Gnome, Linux kernel proper, OpenOffice, the X Open group,
    > and other such -- or perhaps the individuals who violated
    > the patents by incorporating code re-implementing those
    > patents (the code can be in a different language, even).
    >
    > But no...attack the messengers. What a brilliant strategy.
    > Not.

    35 USC 271(a):

    Except as otherwise provided in this title, whoever without
    authority makes, uses, offers to sell, or sells any patented
    invention, within the United States or imports into the United
    States any patented invention during the term of the patent
    therefor, infringes the patent.

    The law is similar in other countries that have patent systems. If, for
    the sake of argument, something in, say, OpenOffice violated a patent,
    all of the following would be infringers:

    The developers ("makes")

    The commercial distributions ("offers to sell, or sells")

    The end users ("uses")

    I'm not ure where a free distribution would fit in here, as they are not
    selling, or offering to sell. However, this might cover them:

    35 USC 271(b):

    Whoever actively induces infringement of a patent shall be liable as
    an infringer

  7. Re: Hey COLA idiots - Isn't it time for another BOYCOTT site?

    On Oct 23, 12:22 pm, bob wrote:
    > On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 11:27:34 -0400, Simon Templar wrote:
    > >http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/22...gets-bed-linux

    > > Microsoft announced yesterday that it is cosying up to Linux distributor
    > > Turbolinux, with "a business agreement" designed to improve Linux-Microsoft
    > > Windows server interoperability.

    It looks like Microsoft is looking for another Patent Swap deal.
    Turbo Linux patented the watchdog used in most Linux clusters. Linux
    users can use it with immunity, but Windows users must license the
    patent - and it isn't cheap. If Microsoft get that, they can start to
    compete with Linux in the grid market.

    > > The deal will also provide "Intellectual Property (IP) assurances" for
    > > Turbolinux users, the majority of whom are in Japan and China.

    TurboLinux has always been an interesting distribution. It's very
    fast, oriented toward clusters and grids, and runs very efficiently on
    a number of different hardware configurations. Turbo Linux was one of
    the first to provide Asian Language support, including Cantonese,
    Mandarin, Japanese Kana and Kanji, and Korean

    > Grow up.

    > ´When facism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.
    > - Sinclair Lewis.

    And wearing white pointy hoods at night.
    Isn't that supposed to be past tense?

  8. Re: Hey COLA idiots - Isn't it time for another BOYCOTT site?

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Tim Smith

    wrote
    on Tue, 23 Oct 2007 20:49:15 -0000
    <13hsnibc2lq79b8@news.supernews.com>:
    > On 2007-10-23, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >> Hasn't Microsoft figured out yet that the patent violators
    >> aren't going to be the distributors (assuming the patents
    >> aren't total crap, of course)? They're going to be KDE,
    >> Gnome, Linux kernel proper, OpenOffice, the X Open group,
    >> and other such -- or perhaps the individuals who violated
    >> the patents by incorporating code re-implementing those
    >> patents (the code can be in a different language, even).
    >>
    >> But no...attack the messengers. What a brilliant strategy.
    >> Not.

    > 35 USC 271(a):
    >
    > Except as otherwise provided in this title, whoever without
    > authority makes, uses, offers to sell, or sells any patented
    > invention, within the United States or imports into the United
    > States any patented invention during the term of the patent
    > therefor, infringes the patent.

    Hm. I stand corrected. Interesting.

    > The law is similar in other countries that have patent systems. If, for
    > the sake of argument, something in, say, OpenOffice violated a patent,
    > all of the following would be infringers:
    >
    > The developers ("makes")
    >
    > The commercial distributions ("offers to sell, or sells")
    >
    > The end users ("uses")
    >
    > I'm not ure where a free distribution would fit in here, as they are not
    > selling, or offering to sell.

    They are indeed selling -- time, if nothing else.

    > However, this might cover them:
    >
    > 35 USC 271(b):
    >
    > Whoever actively induces infringement of a patent shall be liable as
    > an infringer

    Correct, and all parties are liable. Of course, it would
    help if the parties being alleged to have violated the 235+
    patents got a clue as to which patents are being violated.
    Note that no destruction of evidence should ensue, either
    (changing of code is one method thereof) until the trail
    is over and all appeals exhausted.

    This looks to be a multidecade process. One hopes Microsoft
    is also identifying the other parties for proper notification.

    And then the courts decide, as that is their function.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Linux. Because life's too short for a buggy OS.

  9. Re: Hey COLA idiots - Isn't it time for another BOYCOTT site?

    After takin' a swig o' grog, The Ghost In The Machine belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Tim Smith
    >>
    >> Except as otherwise provided in this title, whoever without
    >> authority makes, uses, offers to sell, or sells any patented
    >> invention, within the United States or imports into the United
    >> States any patented invention during the term of the patent
    >> therefor, infringes the patent.

    > Hm. I stand corrected. Interesting.
    >
    >> The law is similar in other countries that have patent systems. If, for
    >> the sake of argument, something in, say, OpenOffice violated a patent,
    >> all of the following would be infringers:
    >>
    >> The developers ("makes")
    >> The commercial distributions ("offers to sell, or sells")
    >> The end users ("uses")
    >>
    >> I'm not ure where a free distribution would fit in here, as they are not
    >> selling, or offering to sell.

    > They are indeed selling -- time, if nothing else.
    >
    >> However, this might cover them:
    >>
    >> 35 USC 271(b):
    >>
    >> Whoever actively induces infringement of a patent shall be liable as
    >> an infringer

    > Correct, and all parties are liable.

    Including the ISPs, one would gather.

    Either patents are going to shut down all open source, or it will be
    recognized that patents no longer function as intended (promoting
    innovation).

    Imagine. The power. Of a patent clerk.

    --
    Tux rox!

  10. Re: Hey COLA idiots - Isn't it time for another BOYCOTT site?

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Linonut

    wrote
    on Wed, 24 Oct 2007 11:29:55 GMT
    :
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, The Ghost In The Machine
    > belched out this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Tim Smith
    >>>
    >>> Except as otherwise provided in this title, whoever without
    >>> authority makes, uses, offers to sell, or sells any patented
    >>> invention, within the United States or imports into the United
    >>> States any patented invention during the term of the patent
    >>> therefor, infringes the patent.

    >> Hm. I stand corrected. Interesting.
    >>
    >>> The law is similar in other countries that have patent systems. If, for
    >>> the sake of argument, something in, say, OpenOffice violated a patent,
    >>> all of the following would be infringers:
    >>>
    >>> The developers ("makes")
    >>> The commercial distributions ("offers to sell, or sells")
    >>> The end users ("uses")
    >>>
    >>> I'm not ure where a free distribution would fit in here, as they are not
    >>> selling, or offering to sell.

    >> They are indeed selling -- time, if nothing else.
    >>
    >>> However, this might cover them:
    >>>
    >>> 35 USC 271(b):
    >>>
    >>> Whoever actively induces infringement of a patent shall be liable as
    >>> an infringer

    >> Correct, and all parties are liable.

    > Including the ISPs, one would gather.

    An interesting subpoint in itself, since there no longer is
    content neutrality, though I think the ISPs filter more on
    metadata rather than actual data. In other words, one can
    send pr0n from Comcast and chamber music from Level3 but if
    the ISP has a blocker on Level3 content guess what we see?
    :-) (I'm being hypothetical here, of course.)

    > Either patents are going to shut down all open source,

    That would appear to be Microsoft's intention, yes.

    > or it will be
    > recognized that patents no longer function as intended (promoting
    > innovation).
    >
    > Imagine. The power. Of a patent clerk.

    Well, somebody overworked and underpaid is at the USPTO,
    judging from some of the more interesting patents floating
    around the Internet.

    Gad.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Windows Vista. Now in nine exciting editions. Try them all!