[News] Reasons to Hate Vista Listed; Many Companies Reject It Blindly - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Reasons to Hate Vista Listed; Many Companies Reject It Blindly - Linux ; Microsoft's Vista WOW - “100 Reasons Why Everyone’s So Speechless” ,----[ Quote ] | Reasons Why I hate Vista | | (1) It's a memory hog, unless you have 1-2 gigabytes of RAM say goodbye to | any reasonable performance. ...

  1. [News] Reasons to Hate Vista Listed; Many Companies Reject It Blindly

    Microsoft's Vista WOW - “100 Reasons Why Everyone’s So Speechless”

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Reasons Why I hate Vista
    |
    | (1) It's a memory hog, unless you have 1-2 gigabytes of RAM say goodbye to
    | any reasonable performance.
    |
    | (2) That dratted UAC dialog that pop's up freaking 20,000 times a day.
    `----

    http://www.technoblogo.com/2007/10/2...eechless+.aspx

    Microsoft Vista - Are You Willing To Be An Early Adapter?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft’s got a long way to go with Vista, though, if 38% of companies out
    | there aren’t even thinking of moving to Vista.
    `----

    http://onlinelearningsecrets.com/tec...-early-adapter

    Related:

    Windows Vista: More like Titanic II than ME II

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | My belief is that the only real cure for Vista blues is to trash as much
    | legacy hardware and software as possible. If you really want Vista, and want
    | it to work properly, then the cost of that is likely to be far more than the
    | cost of the upgrade. *
    `----

    http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/ent...le.php/3695741

    20 Reasons Why Vista Sucks

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Having been forced to use vista for almost 4 months now I can truly say it is
    | so riddled with problems it may be another five years until it is actually
    | ready for the masses. *
    `----

    http://www.pointsboard.net/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=78#p172

    I pity the fool (Windows XP good, Vista bad)

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | It saddens me to think of all the ill advised people buying new computers
    | running Windows Vista, when they could have chosen XP. As Mr. T was fond of
    | saying back in the 1980s, I pity the fool.
    `----

    http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9770230-7.html

    Why we are not adopting Vista - yet

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I forgot to mention, last week, that I met with ICT colleagues to discuss the
    | software infrastructure for "Building 1000". We have concluded that we cannot
    | yet adopt Windows Vista because too many of our other software suppliers have
    | not tested their products, and will not warrant their use, under Vista.
    `----

    http://www.computerworlduk.com/commu...cfm?entryid=83

    People Are Rethinking The Idea Of Installing Windows Vista

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Many people who rushed into the download and installation of the new Windows
    | vista are having second thoughts.
    `----

    http://www.kules.com/?p=2839

    I Warned Ye...

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Listen, you've only got two choices at this point.
    |
    | 1. Live with Vista, and keep trying to work through the issues.
    | 2. Use that XP disc I made you keep handy, and put everything back to the way
    | it was.
    `----

    http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/cio/helpd...arned-ye-18790

    The 10 sins of Windows vista

    http://icanblog2.squarespace.com/jou...ows-vista.html

  2. Re: Reasons to Hate Vista Listed; Many Companies Reject It Blindly

    What OS is perfect? I've tried Ubuntu, Fedora, and Suse and they all
    have problems. Who wants to spend hours getting your wireless to work,
    or to get decent graphics? Linux surely doesn't have it together in
    these areas. At least Vista WORKS.

  3. Re: Reasons to Hate Vista Listed; Many Companies Reject It Blindly

    SnTHoliday wrote:

    >(snip lies)

    *plonk*

  4. Re: Reasons to Hate Vista Listed; Many Companies Reject It Blindly

    "chrisv" wrote
    news2dsh3hc96301dtnl0a092k4v8ritv1mtq@4ax.com...
    > SnTHoliday wrote:
    >
    >>(snip lies)

    > *plonk*

    [follow up]
    I'm very sorry I plonked you SnTHoliday. My shrink gave me those new meds
    today to
    refrain me from plonking people, but the dosage isn't what it should be!
    Plonking people is my obsessive-compulsive neurosis!

  5. Re: Reasons to Hate Vista Listed; Many Companies Reject It Blindly

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, SnTHoliday

    wrote
    on Tue, 23 Oct 2007 17:30:34 -0000
    <1193160634.491339.250030@z24g2000prh.googlegroups. com>:
    > What OS is perfect? I've tried Ubuntu, Fedora, and Suse and they all
    > have problems. Who wants to spend hours getting your wireless to work,
    > or to get decent graphics? Linux surely doesn't have it together in
    > these areas. At least Vista WORKS.

    No version numbers, no hardware specifications
    (x86? sparc? arm? 68k?? WNIC vendor? WNIC product?
    WINC firmware rev, maybe?? Kernel rev? Distro rev?
    Distro package revs??), no indications of what errors you
    are getting with your setup, no real details of any sort.

    If you're expecting help here with such a vague message,
    you're going to have to provide a lot more information,
    probably with a change of venue (comp.os.linux.setup
    is thataway).

    And if you're not expecting help with your setup -- erm,
    why are you here, precisely?

    As for wireless setup -- it may depend on area and hardware,
    but it ideally would be as easy as detailed in the page

    http://helpdesk.uafortsmith.edu/Guid...aWirelessSetup

    (found by Google search) which presumably is specific to
    the University of Arkansas, Fort Smith campus WiFi system,
    but similar instructions would presumably apply anywhere.

    (I don't do wireless myself, so can't be too helpful.)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    New Technology? Not There. No Thanks.

  6. Re: Reasons to Hate Vista Listed; Many Companies Reject It Blindly

    On Oct 23, 12:30 pm, SnTHoliday wrote:
    > What OS is perfect? I've tried Ubuntu, Fedora, and Suse and they all
    > have problems. Who wants to spend hours getting your wireless to work,
    > or to get decent graphics? Linux surely doesn't have it together in
    > these areas. At least Vista WORKS.

    Decent graphics? I play open arena on pclinuxos, and run compiz/beryl
    for 3D Desktop effects that blow away windoze. I like the warm fuzzy
    feeling I get from not having to run anti spyware, anti virus and
    defrag the harddrive every day. From what I can see, Vista does not
    work very well at all. Get your facts straight. Open source, free
    software just does it better, sorry dude.

    You could not get me to download a free version of Vista. It is a turd
    circling the bowl right now, ready to make the plunge into the dark
    hole of OSs that should have never been.

  7. Re: Reasons to Hate Vista Listed; Many Companies Reject It Blindly

    On Oct 23, 12:30 pm, SnTHoliday wrote:
    > What OS is perfect? I've tried Ubuntu, Fedora, and Suse and they all
    > have problems. Who wants to spend hours getting your wireless to work,
    > or to get decent graphics? Linux surely doesn't have it together in
    > these areas. At least Vista WORKS.

    Decent graphics? I play open arena on pclinuxos, and run compiz/beryl
    for 3D Desktop effects that blow away windoze. I like the warm fuzzy
    feeling I get from not having to run anti spyware, anti virus and
    defrag the harddrive every day. From what I can see, Vista does not
    work very well at all. Get your facts straight. Open source, free
    software just does it better, sorry dude.

    You could not get me to download a free version of Vista. It is a turd
    circling the bowl right now, ready to make the plunge into the dark
    hole of OSs that should have never been.

  8. Re: Reasons to Hate Vista Listed; Many Companies Reject It Blindly

    On Oct 23, 1:30 pm, SnTHoliday wrote:
    > What OS is perfect?

    > I've tried Ubuntu, Fedora, and Suse and they all have problems.

    Actually, this statement and the statement below say that you HAVEN'T
    actually tried them, you've merely tried to INSTALL them. These are
    two very different experiences. If you purchase a machine designed to
    run Linux - a "Linux ready" machine, you can have it up and running in
    less than 1 hour. If someone else installs it for you, it could take
    them less than 30 minutes. Many experinced service techs can do as
    many as 10 machines in an hour.

    > Who wants to spend hours getting your wireless to work,

    Usually, when it takes hours to get the wireless to work, it's because
    I'm trying to use a "Linux Hostile" card. When I intall SLED or RHED
    on my T-40 laptop, with it's Intel WiFi card, the configuration is
    easier than it is on Windows.

    When I try to use an Atheros ar5416 card with MadWiFi in 400 Mb/second
    mode, that doesn't go so well. The thing is that Atheros documented
    that this chipset was not supported at the time I purhased my
    machine. If Lenovo had been able to tell me that this was a bad card
    for use with Linux, I would have ordered the Intel A/B/G/N card, which
    takes about 90 seconds to configure to a new network.

    > or to get decent graphics?

    My Z61p has a FireGL card, that has great 3-D graphics. The T-40 had
    an NVidia card. When I installed SLED or RHED, the commercial support
    package detected my 3D capable card, gave me the option of installing
    the driver modules, and I had the 3D capabilities at the end of the
    next update. I did have to restart X11 (control-alt-backspace). I
    was back up in about 30 seconds.

    > Linux surely doesn't have it together in these areas.

    > At least Vista WORKS.

    Vista "works" because you purchased a machine where the OEM had
    preinstalled Vista, had drivers approved by Microsoft, and based on
    your description, used graphics cards and wireless drivers that were
    designed to ONLY work with Vista or XP.

    If you were one of those suckers who purchased a "Vista Ready" machine
    with an OpenGL card or FireGL card and you plopped down $300 for your
    upgrade to Vista "Ultimate" expecting to see 3D graphics like those
    shown in the commercials, you were in for a big disappointment.

    If you had an older machine, you might not have even passed the "Vista
    Capable" test.

    Linux users often bring a Knoppix or other Live-CD or a USB stick and
    boot the PC off of that to see if it's "Linux Ready", this is because
    Microsoft won't allow the OEMs to put "Linux Ready" on the same
    sticker tag that lists Vista as one of the features. Remember,
    Microsoft must approve ANY promotional materials in which Microsoft
    trademarks or logos are used. The loophole is to not list Windows or
    Vista as a feature. The shopper can see that it runs Windows Vista.
    If Linux is important, listing the SATA hard drive capacity, the
    memory, the CPU speed and core count, and "Linux Ready" could make the
    difference between a machine sitting on the shelf unsold for months
    even after being discounted 75%, or being snapped up buy eager Linux
    users who would be more than happy to make the conversion themselves.

    Of course, if you are going to buy a Linux ready machine, you probably
    don't want Vista Home premium either. Vista Business gives you more
    flexability, but the 2 gig memory requirement is a deal-killer. On
    the other hand, if you buy the machine with Windows XP, XP can run
    happy as a pig in slop in 512 meg, and Linux can use the rest of the
    gig to pre-read and buffer up entire libraries or applications in a
    single pass of the hard drive. Often, a hard drive is capable of
    delivering 54 megabytes per second, but Windows can't read faster than
    16 megabytes per second because of latency issues. Linux can feed the
    drive to Windows at the higher speed, which makes Windows appear to
    run faster.

    Running Linux as the "host" also provides a much more robust and
    flexible firewall, adds security auditing, and provides tighter access
    control.

    Linux/XP - a better Windows than Vista.

  9. Re: Reasons to Hate Vista Listed; Many Companies Reject It Blindly

    On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 17:30:34 +0000, SnTHoliday wrote:

    > What OS is perfect? I've tried Ubuntu, Fedora, and Suse and they all
    > have problems. Who wants to spend hours getting your wireless to work,
    > or to get decent graphics? Linux surely doesn't have it together in
    > these areas. At least Vista WORKS.

    You're kidding right?

  10. Re: Reasons to Hate Vista Listed; Many Companies Reject It Blindly

    bob wrote:

    > On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 17:30:34 +0000, SnTHoliday wrote:
    >
    >> What OS is perfect? I've tried Ubuntu, Fedora, and Suse and they all
    >> have problems. Who wants to spend hours getting your wireless to work,
    >> or to get decent graphics? Linux surely doesn't have it together in
    >> these areas. At least Vista WORKS.

    > You're kidding right?

    No. He is lying
    --
    Computers are like air conditioners -
    they stop working properly when you open Windows

  11. Re: Reasons to Hate Vista Listed; Many Companies Reject It Blindly

    On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 17:30:34 +0000, SnTHoliday wrote:

    > What OS is perfect? I've tried Ubuntu, Fedora, and Suse and they all
    > have problems. Who wants to spend hours getting your wireless to work,
    > or to get decent graphics?

    Not me, which is why I run Ubuntu. Click, click, enable "restricted"
    drivers, voila, done. Total time involved, including downloading of the
    packages, about two minutes.

    Hours? You must be using Windows.

  12. Re: Reasons to Hate Vista Listed; Many Companies Reject It Blindly

    [snips]

    On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 13:20:55 -0700, shanejoel wrote:

    > You could not get me to download a free version of Vista.

    Indeed; what's the point? I've already got an OS which has better 3D
    desktop support, a vast array of quality applications, comparative
    immunity to most common threats, a distinct lack of licensing issues I
    need to care about, significant support channels if I should need them,
    and a wide variety of fun and useful things I can do with it.

    Why pay more to get Vista, which, as far as I can tell, actually offers me
    nothing I don't have now, except increased risk of compromise, and
    unwanted DRM? Oh, and somewhat increased hardware requirements to achieve
    the same ends.

    I don't see a case for it, frankly.

+ Reply to Thread