[News] Real Innova~1 in Fed0ra Linux, Ubuntu Opens to the Crowd - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Real Innova~1 in Fed0ra Linux, Ubuntu Opens to the Crowd - Linux ; Fedora 8 renews tradition of innovations ,----[ Quote ] | This release makes it obvious that the Fedora community prides itself on | innovation. `---- http://www.linux.com/feature/119998 Ubuntu Open Week begins ,----[ Quote ] | The Ubuntu community is hosting a ...

  1. [News] Real Innova~1 in Fed0ra Linux, Ubuntu Opens to the Crowd

    `----

    http://www.linux.com/feature/119998

    Ubuntu Open Week begins

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Ubuntu community is hosting a series of workshops and educational
    | sessions this week on the Freenode IRC server.
    `----

    http://arstechnica.com/journals/linu...en-week-begins

    Related:

    The Low Point--a view from the Valley: The innovation game

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Innovation is a weasel word. It used to earn an honest living, but now it's
    | been hijacked by marketing people for dishonest purposes. It's now in the
    | same category as "rich". Does anyone now hear the words "rich user
    | experience" or "rich client" without thinking of a bloated, Windows-only
    | client that doesn't use open or standard protocols? Controlling the language
    | like this is power. Whoever defines the words we use can control the way we
    | think about things. Our knowledge of language limits how we can express our
    | thoughts. Innovation these days is being used as a code word for large,
    | corporate controlled research and development, regardless of any results it
    | might produce. * * * *
    `----

    http://news.zdnet.com/2424-9595_22-171600.html

    Innovation: The REAL Killer App

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | There is no true innovation in Windows Vista. Microsoft has spent
    | years developing a product that nobody cared about or wanted. All
    | Microsoft was developing was the operating system they needed to
    | perpetuate their Windows franchise. After long hold ups in
    | development, this has left their Windows revenues at a trickle.
    | The sad thing is the GNU/Linux camp has done little to combat
    | this deficiency in innovation. They have been more concerned
    | with creating an equivalent product at a better price rather than
    | a better product at a better price. Sure GNU/Linux is a better
    | product due to its inherent stability, performance and security,
    | but these aren't the features that home consumers migrate
    | platforms for. True innovation, such as improvements in usability,
    | is the only way one can convince consumers to choose your product
    | over a stagnant entrenched one like Windows. It is simple free
    | market economics, the better product at the best price will win.
    `----

    http://free2code.blogspot.com/2007/0...iller-app.html

    Change and development with open source

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Innovation goes hand in hand with open source software. Open source software
    | builds on the innovative nature of people; it comes from people's desire to
    | make something better. It also gives people the skills and resources to
    | become innovative with software. *
    |
    | This is not abstract speculation; a recent report from a group of corporate
    | CIOs states, 'faster product cycles are seen as a big advantage for open
    | source - CIOs believe that product innovation is faster in open source'. *
    `----

    http://www.nccmembership.co.uk/poole..._WEBART_292509

    Apple's Annual Developer's Conference Disappoints For Its Lack of Innovation

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Apple shares fell 3.45% yesterday on general investor disappointment
    | with what was perceived as a lack of innovation at Apple's annual
    | software developer's conference [WWDC].
    `----

    http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/07...5_id.html?.v=1

    OK and FST use Linux-based phone to accelerate mobile device innovation

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Nine months after its official launch, Australian developers have already
    | extended the capabilities of the world's first non-proprietary Linux powered
    | mobile phone. *
    `----

    http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/index....01;fp;2;fpid;1

    Balancing open source risk and the total innovation opportunity

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This week I have been banging on and on about the total
    | innovation opportunity of using open source software as an
    | enterprise development platform.
    `----

    http://www.businessreviewonline.com/...cing_open.html

    Can you leave innovation to the customer?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Open source innovation: how does it work?
    |
    | Ideas or problems are made freely available to anyone who can be bothered to
    | look at them. They are then aired in online forums, meaning that glitches are
    | ironed out in record time, and the forum creator charges to a manufacturer to
    | develop the prototype and get the product onto the shelves. *
    `----

    http://blogs.theage.com.au/innovator...u_leave_i.html

  2. Re: [News] Real Innova~1 in Fed0ra Linux, Ubuntu Opens to the Crowd

    ____/ [H]omer on Wednesday 24 October 2007 10:25 : \____

    >> Fedora 8 renews tradition of innovations
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | This release makes it obvious that the Fedora community prides |
    >> itself on innovation.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.linux.com/feature/119998

    > They casually dismiss the changes in Fedora 7, but fail to appreciate
    > their incredible significance. In F7, for the first time ever in a Red
    > Hat core system, the buildsystem was released in an unabridged state to
    > the public, facilitating the possibility for anyone to recreate an
    > enterprise level Red Hat buildsystem of their own, to essentially build
    > a distro from scratch. Such tools have been available for years, but not
    > at this level nor to this degree. We've already started to see partial
    > results with tools like Revisor, but that's just the tip of the iceberg.
    >
    > It's quite likely that in the not-too distant future, there will simply
    > be no need for such a thing as a "distro", but instead just a collection
    > of "template" files describing various appliances that one builds
    > oneself using those templates in an automated buildsystem. And there
    > won't be any need to depend on third parties like rPath for this
    > service, you'll be able to do it yourself - in fact you can /now/.
    >
    > Overview:
    > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infras...ojiBuildSystem
    >
    > Howto:
    > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Koji/ServerHowTo
    >
    > In action at Fedora Project:
    > http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji
    >
    > This will revolutionise the OS for OEM business and enthusiasts alike.
    >
    > 300 distros? More like 3 billion distros!

    While on vacation, I only used a live CD (Ubuntu 4.10 actually). It was fast
    and it was great. Everything worked out of the box on a foreign box.

    Choosing exactly what apps I want on it (and which versions) would have been
    ideal. PCLOS and Red Hat make this possible. SUSE is just catching up.

    Some people come to the realisation that the main app to have on a live CD is
    the Web browser. I rarely ever open the file manager anymore (once a day, on
    average, I'd estimate). As for cookies, a USB drive should do. Data storage?
    Rarely needed with Web-based apps. The rest SSH can handle, particularly while
    you're away from the main box.

    The main barrier to this realisation is the fact that many people's minset and
    perception of computing is stuck in the 90s. Than again, they
    leave /themselves/ behind and punish /themselves/, career-wise. How about that
    Microsoft anti-Google crusade where they used a sockppuppet to say that Google
    would damage people's career? Microsoft thrives in legacy. It's a toddler on
    the Web and it knows it. So it wants people to fear novelty and be stuck in
    the factory like Luddites (with data lock-in too).

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Fetch SPAM quicker than you can type 'crond start'
    Swap: 1510068k total, 757580k used, 752488k free, 60516k cached