Linux: more than a little frustrating - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux: more than a little frustrating - Linux ; "My understanding is that EXT3 is supposed to prevent data loss, yet I've never lost this much data this many times in such a short period of time when I was using Windows 95-XP." http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=410963...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

  1. Linux: more than a little frustrating

    "My understanding is that EXT3 is supposed to prevent data loss, yet I've
    never lost this much data this many times in such a short period of time
    when I was using Windows 95-XP."

  2. Re: Linux: more than a little frustrating

    DFS wrote:

    > "My understanding is that EXT3 is supposed to prevent data loss, yet I've
    > never lost this much data this many times in such a short period of time
    > when I was using Windows 95-XP."

    Should you have actually found a post from someone nearly as stupid as you?
    --
    Support your local Search and Rescue unit -- get lost.

  3. Re: Linux: more than a little frustrating

    "Peter Köhlmann" schreef in bericht
    > DFS wrote:
    >
    >> "My understanding is that EXT3 is supposed to prevent data loss, yet I've
    >> never lost this much data this many times in such a short period of time
    >> when I was using Windows 95-XP."

    > Should you have actually found a post from someone nearly as stupid as
    > you?

    I bet you could get both of your feet in your mouth at the same time and
    still manage to shove your pointy bald head up your fat hairy arse!
    Congratulatons Peter, your in two blogs now:
    http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  4. Re: Linux: more than a little frustrating

    "DFS" wrote in message
    > "My understanding is that EXT3 is supposed to prevent data loss, yet I've
    > never lost this much data this many times in such a short period of time
    > when I was using Windows 95-XP."

    So much for how resilient, mature and great these mythical linux filesystems
    are.

  5. Re: Linux: more than a little frustrating

    Peter Köhlmann wrote:
    > DFS wrote:
    >
    >> "My understanding is that EXT3 is supposed to prevent data loss, yet
    >> I've never lost this much data this many times in such a short
    >> period of time when I was using Windows 95-XP."

    > Should you have actually found a post from someone nearly as stupid
    > as you?

    Go Linux! What an operating system!

    It Just Works! Especially well on notebooks: "Come along on his Ubuntu
    safari, as he hacks his way through bug-fraught installation attempts."

    Stable! Well...
    http://www.miguelcarrasco.net/miguel...crash_top.html

    Fast! Except when it's not "Win2K [Server] seems to run ok on this dinosaur
    machine, but linux is painfully slow."
    http://www.devhood.com/messages/mess...hread_id=31304

    No Data Loss! "I've never lost this much data this many times in such a
    short period of time when I was using Windows 95-XP."

    No Filesystem Fragmentation! 21% on ext3 doesn't count
    http://www.informatik.uni-frankfurt....agesystem.html

    No Filesystem Corruption! "Since I began using Ubuntu/Linux [2.5 months
    ago] I have had to reinstall the OS 3 times due to file corruption."

    Easy On The Memory! "100% memory and CPU usage" from 64-bit Linux on 1gb
    RAM system http://forums.slamd64.com/viewtopic.php?t=1075)

    Low Hardware Requirements! "2.4ghz CPU recommended" Novell SLED

    It's Perfect! "Linux is as good as possible." Greg Shearman, cola bozo,
    10/20/2007

  6. Re: Linux: more than a little frustrating

    Peter Köhlmann wrote:

    > DFS wrote:
    >
    >> "My understanding is that EXT3 is supposed to prevent data loss, yet I've
    >> never lost this much data this many times in such a short period of time
    >> when I was using Windows 95-XP."

    > Should you have actually found a post from someone nearly as stupid as
    > you?

    Further down the thread he says:

    I've not had any problems in Feisty.

    While I'm not sure what caused the initial data corruption, I suspect that
    it may have been writing to my Ext3 partition from Windows using one of the
    Ext3 drivers available for that OS. The reason I suspect it is that files
    and directories I had written to from Windows were the ones that took the
    brunt of the corruption. Since I've stopped writing to the Linux partitions
    from Windows I've not noticed any corruption problems (but I did lose a lot
    of data that I hadn't yet backed up).

    Note, he was writing TO the Linux partition FROM Windoze. When he STOPPED
    doing that, he didn't lose any data.

    Now I believe we know who the *real* culprit in this was, & it *wasn't*
    Linux. DooFuS should have read further, but he was in such a hurry to post
    what he first saw, he missed that. His post has backfired on him IMO.

    --
    Operating systems: FreeBSD 6.2, PC-BSD 1.4,
    Testing: FreeBSD 7.0

  7. Re: Linux: more than a little frustrating

    William Poaster wrote:

    > Peter Köhlmann wrote:
    >
    >> DFS wrote:
    >>
    >>> "My understanding is that EXT3 is supposed to prevent data loss, yet
    >>> I've never lost this much data this many times in such a short period of
    >>> time when I was using Windows 95-XP."
    >>>
    >>> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=410963

    >> Should you have actually found a post from someone nearly as stupid as
    >> you?

    > Further down the thread he says:
    >

    > I've not had any problems in Feisty.
    >
    > While I'm not sure what caused the initial data corruption, I suspect that
    > it may have been writing to my Ext3 partition from Windows using one of
    > the Ext3 drivers available for that OS. The reason I suspect it is that
    > files and directories I had written to from Windows were the ones that
    > took the brunt of the corruption. Since I've stopped writing to the Linux
    > partitions from Windows I've not noticed any corruption problems (but I
    > did lose a lot of data that I hadn't yet backed up).
    >

    > Note, he was writing TO the Linux partition FROM Windoze. When he STOPPED
    > doing that, he didn't lose any data.
    >
    > Now I believe we know who the *real* culprit in this was, & it *wasn't*
    > Linux. DooFuS should have read further, but he was in such a hurry to post
    > what he first saw, he missed that. His post has backfired on him IMO.

    Well, there is a reason why I deemed that guy nearly (but not quite) as
    stupid as our beloved DumbFull****

    But then, it is difficult to be actually dumber than bread. Few manage that
    --
    Only two things are infinite,
    the Universe and Stupidity.

  8. Re: Linux: more than a little frustrating

    DFS wrote:
    > "My understanding is that EXT3 is supposed to prevent data loss, yet I've
    > never lost this much data this many times in such a short period of time
    > when I was using Windows 95-XP."

    DFS, you are not going to convince me that an OS and collection of
    software that works for me doesn't work for m.

  9. Re: Linux: more than a little frustrating

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Peter Köhlmann belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > DFS wrote:
    >
    >> "My understanding is that EXT3 is supposed to prevent data loss, yet I've
    >> never lost this much data this many times in such a short period of time
    >> when I was using Windows 95-XP."

    > Should you have actually found a post from someone nearly as stupid as you?

    Actually, I think that guy is simply making stuff up.

    he reason I don't have very recent backups is because Linux wasn't
    able to write to my external USB drive because it was NTFS. I had to
    wipe the backups to free up enough space for me to convert it to
    FAT32...

    Either that, or he's running with an old hard drive.

    I have a hard drive like that, and it shows plenty of warnings in the
    logs. Do I trust it for my OS support? No. I use it as a repository
    for building ISO's of MP3 files. I won't weep if the whole drive goes
    belly up.

    I've had no problems with ext3 on other drives.

    Oh, one last thing. Apparently DFS didn't read far enough. Same
    poster:

    I've not had any problems in Feisty.

    While I'm not sure what caused the initial data corruption, I suspect
    that it may have been writing to my Ext3 partition from Windows using
    one of the Ext3 drivers available for that OS. The reason I suspect
    it is that files and directories I had written to from Windows were
    the ones that took the brunt of the corruption. Since I've stopped
    writing to the Linux partitions from Windows I've not noticed any
    corruption problems (but I did lose a lot of data that I hadn't yet
    backed up).

    Go Windows go!

    --
    ROTFLMAO!

  10. Re: Linux: more than a little frustrating

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Peter Köhlmann belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > Well, there is a reason why I deemed that guy nearly (but not quite) as
    > stupid as our beloved DumbFull****
    >
    > But then, it is difficult to be actually dumber than bread. Few manage that

    "He was bread in Atlanta/
    But he's just a crumb up here/"

    --
    Nuk nuk!

  11. Re: Linux: more than a little frustrating

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Simon Templar belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > "DFS" wrote in message
    >> "My understanding is that EXT3 is supposed to prevent data loss, yet I've
    >> never lost this much data this many times in such a short period of time
    >> when I was using Windows 95-XP."

    > So much for how resilient, mature and great these mythical linux filesystems
    > are.

    snicker

    Not much of a detective, are you, Simon?

  12. Re: Linux: more than a little frustrating

    Linonut wrote:

    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Simon Templar belched out this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> "DFS" wrote in message
    >>> "My understanding is that EXT3 is supposed to prevent data loss, yet
    >>> I've never lost this much data this many times in such a short period of
    >>> time when I was using Windows 95-XP."
    >>>
    >>> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=410963

    >> So much for how resilient, mature and great these mythical linux
    >> filesystems are.

    > snicker
    >
    > Not much of a detective, are you, Simon?

    LOL!

    Further down that thread the poster says:

    I've not had any problems in Feisty.

    While I'm not sure what caused the initial data corruption, I suspect that
    it may have been writing to my Ext3 partition from Windows using one of the
    Ext3 drivers available for that OS. The reason I suspect it is that files
    and directories I had written to from Windows were the ones that took the
    brunt of the corruption. Since I've stopped writing to the Linux partitions
    from Windows I've not noticed any corruption problems (but I did lose a lot
    of data that I hadn't yet backed up).

    Note, he was writing TO the Linux partition FROM Windoze. When he STOPPED
    doing that, he didn't lose any data.

    Now I believe we know who the *real* culprit in this was, & it *wasn't*
    Linux.

    Simon Templar aka "The Saint" (author Leslie Charteris) is as big an idiot
    as DooFu$.

    --
    Operating systems: FreeBSD 6.2, PC-BSD 1.4,
    Testing: FreeBSD 7.0
    Linux systems: Debian 4.0, PCLinuxOS 2007,
    Kubuntu 7.10 "Gutsy"

  13. Re: Linux: more than a little frustrating

    Rick wrote:

    > DFS wrote:
    >> "My understanding is that EXT3 is supposed to prevent data loss, yet I've
    >> never lost this much data this many times in such a short period of time
    >> when I was using Windows 95-XP."

    > DFS, you are not going to convince me that an OS and collection of
    > software that works for me doesn't work for m.

    See - Message-Id: - which explains what
    the guy was doing.

    DooFu$ is as dumb as a stump.

    --
    Operating systems: FreeBSD 6.2, PC-BSD 1.4,
    Testing: FreeBSD 7.0
    Linux systems: Debian 4.0, PCLinuxOS 2007,
    Kubuntu 7.10 "Gutsy"

  14. Re: Linux: more than a little frustrating

    William Poaster wrote:

    >Note, he was writing TO the Linux partition FROM Windoze. When he STOPPED
    >doing that, he didn't lose any data.
    >
    >Now I believe we know who the *real* culprit in this was, & it *wasn't*
    >Linux. DooFuS should have read further, but he was in such a hurry to post
    >what he first saw, he missed that. His post has backfired on him IMO.

    As they almost always do. He's a total fsckwit and, like most of his
    ilk, never seems to tire of making a jackass of himself.

  15. Re: Linux: more than a little frustrating

    William Poaster wrote:

    > Note, he was writing TO the Linux partition FROM Windoze. When he
    > STOPPED doing that, he didn't lose any data.
    >
    > Now I believe we know who the *real* culprit in this was, & it
    > *wasn't* Linux.

    uh huh. I'm sure Microsoft wrote those ext3 drivers...

    http://www.fs-driver.org/index.html

  16. Re: Linux: more than a little frustrating

    DFS wrote:

    > William Poaster wrote:
    >
    >> Note, he was writing TO the Linux partition FROM Windoze. When he
    >> STOPPED doing that, he didn't lose any data.
    >>
    >> Now I believe we know who the *real* culprit in this was, & it
    >> *wasn't* Linux.

    > uh huh. I'm sure Microsoft wrote those ext3 drivers...
    >
    > http://www.fs-driver.org/index.html

    This is the fault of linux exactly how?
    Did you per chance notice that this thread, that *you* in your infinite
    dishonesty started with outright lies, is allegedly about a fault of
    *linux*
    At least that is what *you* tried to imply

  17. Re: Linux: more than a little frustrating

    [H]omer wrote:

    > Verily I say unto thee, that Peter Köhlmann spake thusly:
    >> DFS wrote:

    >>> uh huh. I'm sure Microsoft wrote those ext3 drivers...
    >>>
    >>> http://www.fs-driver.org/index.html

    >> This is the fault of linux exactly how?

    > Not at all, AFAICT:
    >
    > http://www.fs-driver.org/author.html
    >
    > So a /Windows/ programmer writes some /Windows/ software that
    > subsequently doesn't work properly, and causes serious data loss.
    >
    > Sounds fairly typical.
    >
    > Another self-nuke from DooFy the village idiot. He's getting sloppy in
    > the midst of his desperation, isn't he?

    DumbFull**** should perhaps have taken a look to that site before showing
    his monumental idiocy once again.
    It spells out in plain english that it is a *ext2* driver, not ext3,
    although that would not incur data loss, just a rescan of the volume

    It also talks about the (many) limits of that driver.
    For example that it does *not* support UTF8 filenames. Not even different
    code-pages. Just the standard win-character set.
    A prime condidate to wreak havoc, it seems. Written by a windows programmer

    What can one say in this case? Is DumbFull**** just dumb (and full of it)?
    Or did his inbred dishonesty take over again?

    In either case, it was a monumental self-nuke. Again
    --
    Who the **** is General Failure, and why is he reading my harddisk?

  18. Re: Linux: more than a little frustrating

    On Oct 23, 12:18 pm, Peter Köhlmann
    wrote:
    > William Poaster wrote:
    > > Peter Köhlmann wrote:

    > >> Should you have actually found a post from someone nearly as stupid as
    > >> you?

    > > Further down the thread he says:

    > > I've not had any problems in Feisty.

    > > While I'm not sure what caused the initial data corruption, I suspect that
    > > it may have been writing to my Ext3 partition from Windows using one of
    > > the Ext3 drivers available for that OS. The reason I suspect it is that
    > > files and directories I had written to from Windows were the ones that
    > > took the brunt of the corruption. Since I've stopped writing to the Linux
    > > partitions from Windows I've not noticed any corruption problems (but I
    > > did lose a lot of data that I hadn't yet backed up).
    > >

    > > Note, he was writing TO the Linux partition FROM Windoze. When he STOPPED
    > > doing that, he didn't lose any data.

    > > Now I believe we know who the *real* culprit in this was, & it *wasn't*
    > > Linux. DooFuS should have read further, but he was in such a hurry to post
    > > what he first saw, he missed that. His post has backfired on him IMO.

    > Well, there is a reason why I deemed that guy nearly (but not quite) as
    > stupid as our beloved DumbFull****
    >
    > But then, it is difficult to be actually dumber than bread. Few manage that

    How about this retard?

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....7?dmode=source

  19. Re: Linux: more than a little frustrating

    Peter Köhlmann wrote:

    > DFS wrote:
    >
    >> William Poaster wrote:
    >>
    >>> Note, he was writing TO the Linux partition FROM Windoze. When he
    >>> STOPPED doing that, he didn't lose any data.
    >>>
    >>> Now I believe we know who the *real* culprit in this was, & it
    >>> *wasn't* Linux.

    >> uh huh. I'm sure Microsoft wrote those ext3 drivers...
    >>
    >> http://www.fs-driver.org/index.html

    > This is the fault of linux exactly how?

    It isn't, of course. I can write from any linux distro which is using one
    filesystem (ext3, reiserfs etc) *to* another linux distro using a
    *different* filesystem, & there is no trouble. I can write from my *BSD
    installations (which use UNIX filesystems) to any linux distro using ext3,
    reiserfs, etc filesystems & there is no trouble.

    > Did you per chance notice that this thread, that *you* in your infinite
    > dishonesty started with outright lies, is allegedly about a fault of
    > *linux*.
    > At least that is what *you* tried to imply

    He was lying, yet AGAIN.

    --
    Operating systems: FreeBSD 6.2, PC-BSD 1.4,
    Testing: FreeBSD 7.0
    Linux systems: Debian 4.0, PCLinuxOS 2007,
    Kubuntu 7.10 "Gutsy"

  20. Re: Linux: more than a little frustrating

    [H]omer wrote:

    > Verily I say unto thee, that Peter Köhlmann spake thusly:
    >> DFS wrote:

    >>> uh huh. I'm sure Microsoft wrote those ext3 drivers...
    >>>
    >>> http://www.fs-driver.org/index.html

    >> This is the fault of linux exactly how?

    > Not at all, AFAICT:
    >
    > http://www.fs-driver.org/author.html
    >
    > So a /Windows/ programmer writes some /Windows/ software that
    > subsequently doesn't work properly, and causes serious data loss.
    >
    > Sounds fairly typical.

    If it was linux it's what Doofu$ would term as "slopware". As the
    application was written by a *windoze* coder, you notice he didn't.

    > Another self-nuke from DooFy the village idiot. He's getting sloppy in
    > the midst of his desperation, isn't he?

    Very much so.