[News] [Rival] Microso... errr... Citrix Snatch of XenSource Approved without FTC's Attention - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] [Rival] Microso... errr... Citrix Snatch of XenSource Approved without FTC's Attention - Linux ; Citrix completes XenSource acquisition ,----[ Quote ] | Citrix has completed its $US500 million acquisition of XenSource, the company | founded by the original developers of the open source Zen virtualisation | software. `---- http://www.itwire.com/content/view/14969/1056/ Citrix Completes Acquisition of XenSource, ...

  1. [News] [Rival] Microso... errr... Citrix Snatch of XenSource Approved without FTC's Attention

    Citrix completes XenSource acquisition

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Citrix has completed its $US500 million acquisition of XenSource, the company
    | founded by the original developers of the open source Zen virtualisation
    | software.
    `----

    http://www.itwire.com/content/view/14969/1056/

    Citrix Completes Acquisition of XenSource, Citrix (Press Release)

    http://www.citrix.com/English/NE/new...e_headlines_US

    Puppet strategy.

    Related:

    Citrix Unwraps New Virtualization Strategy

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Citrix's virtualization strategy is based on a partnership with Microsoft and
    | a commitment to continued innovation on the Windows platform. The two
    | companies share a strategic relationship in server and desktop virtualization
    | aimed at interoperability between Citrix's products and the upcoming
    | Microsoft Windows hypervisor, code named "Viridian," according to Citrix
    | officials. * *
    `----

    Citrix and Microsoft make nice at VMWorld

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | For those wondering how Microsoft partner Citrix’s purchase of open-source
    | vendor XenSource would affect Citrix’s relationship with Microsoft, the
    | September 11 announcement involving the two does little to answer that
    | question. *
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=708

    Microsoft, Citrix To Extend Virtualization Alliance

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Today at VMworld 2007, Microsoft Corp. and Citrix Systems Inc. announced that
    | they have strengthened their longtime integration alliance in the desktop and
    | application delivery market by standardizing on the Microsoft Virtual Hard
    | Disk (VHD) format as a common runtime environment for both virtualized
    | operating systems and applications. * *
    `----

    http://www.huliq.com/33884/microsoft...ation-alliance

    Will Microsoft Buy the New Citrix? *

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | VMware, holding some 85 percent of the market, with its VI3 technologies
    | offers a fully integrated stack and represents a third generation of
    | virtualization technology, while Viridian and Xen-based products, including
    | SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5, XenEnterprise
    | and Virtual Iron, remain second-generation products, the report stated. * *
    `----

    Heady Days for Virtual Systems

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The former Microsoft Latest News about Microsoft general manager is
    | now vice president of XenSource, a Palo Alto, Calif., virtualization
    | company with a growing outpost in Redmond, Wash.
    `----

    What the XenSource deal says about open source

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This is what Citrix is paying for. That and a close relationship with
    | Microsoft that looks likely to get closer. “We will be building dynamic
    | virtualization services and management tools on top of Viridian,” Levine
    | added. “We will build the same set of products we’ve built on top of Xen for
    | Viridian. We’ve already hired a team to go do that up in Redmond.” * *
    |
    | While Citrix maintained it will continue support for the Xen project, this
    | deal is not about a proprietary vendor getting open source religion. It's
    | about grabbing an emerging player in a rapidly expanding sector of the
    | market. *
    `----

    http://www.businessreviewonline.com/...he_xensou.html

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Microso... errr... Citrix Snatch of XenSource Approved without FTC's Attention

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Citrix completes XenSource acquisition
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Citrix has completed its $US500 million acquisition of XenSource, the
    > | company founded by the original developers of the open source Zen
    > | virtualisation software.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.itwire.com/content/view/14969/1056/
    >
    > Citrix Completes Acquisition of XenSource, Citrix (Press Release)

    http://www.citrix.com/English/NE/new...e_headlines_US

    > Puppet strategy.

    I would say that Citrix buying XenSource is a natural marriage. Citrix is
    big and growing, the need for virtual OS's (partial or full) and virtual
    applications (partial or full) is going to grow. It will very likely grow
    to being the primary source of OS services and application software.
    Particularly in business, but maybe in the home too.

    So really XenSource working inside of Citrix is very likely a good move for
    both of them.

    Citrix's biggest problem is the speed, the balance between how much of an
    application should be local and how much remote needs constant assessment,
    probably in the end becoming very dynamic depending on the client's
    capabilities. For that very close work with XenSource will be needed.

    The model is traditionaly different in the UNIX/Linux world, but obviously
    we have to be able to accommodate the main desk clients too, MS.

    I am still a firm believer though that Linux has remote apps right, we have
    the speed advantage because the split is natural to our OS. MS apps for
    what ever reason have got it wrong in that much more than the user
    interface is passed to the clients, you effectively end up with a full Word
    or Excell downloaded to the clients. Even saying it like that, it is so
    obviously wrong.

    Citrix do make it clear that the openness of Xen will not be deminished. I
    think we can trust them to keep to this because Xen as others of the type,
    need outside players. A host is no use at all if there is no one willing to
    be hosted.

+ Reply to Thread