[News] Oracle F**ks Red Hat - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Oracle F**ks Red Hat - Linux ; [Forks, that is] Oracle Linux is no longer simply an RHEL clone ,----[ Quote ] | First, let's make this clear. Oracle Unbreakable Linux was, is now and is for | the foreseeable future going to be based on Red ...

  1. [News] Oracle F**ks Red Hat

    [Forks, that is]

    Oracle Linux is no longer simply an RHEL clone

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | First, let's make this clear. Oracle Unbreakable Linux was, is now and is for
    | the foreseeable future going to be based on Red Hat's Red Hat Enterprise
    | Linux codebase. It is not, however, going to be simply RHEL's twin in every
    | way.
    `----

    Related:

    Oracle's mixed messages on "compatibility" with Red Hat Enterprise Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | No offense, Oracle, but if it looks like a fork, smells like a fork, and acts
    | like a fork, it's a fork, and "fully compatible" is simply not a credible
    | guarantee. You can't change someone else's code and crown it "fully
    | compatible." *
    `----

    http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9772650-16.html

    Oracle claims no Linux ulterior motive

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Oracle is using LinuxWorld to try and calm concerns its Enterprise Linux and
    | Unbreakable Linux Network (ULN) will fork Red Hat and fragment the Linux
    | market. *
    `----

    http://www.channelregister.co.uk/200...e_uln_red_hat/

    Oracle's got a giant Red Hat fork coming, says spaceman

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Oracle's assault on Linux looks to take the shape of a fork in the near
    | future, according to Canonical founder and Ubuntu chief Mark Shuttleworth.
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/07..._oscon_ubuntu/

    Is Unbreakable a long-term Linux play?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | After initial cynicism I have been forced to rethink my opinion on a couple
    | of occassions, notably Oracle's patent pledge, the naming of customers and
    | the naming of partners, although I remain unconvinced that OEL is a long-term
    | strategy for the company as opposed to an attempt to disrupt the market. *
    |
    | Linux is clearly a long-term commitment. Oracle Enterprise Linux? Not sure.
    `----

    http://www.businessreviewonline.com/...eakable_1.html

    Ubuntu chief: Oracle Linux has 'tactical value'

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Oracle has the ability to support Linux, and doing so could
    | have "tactical value" for the database company, the founder
    | of Ubuntu Linux--and a potential Oracle partner--said Friday.
    `----

    http://news.com.com/2100-7344_3-6128...8259&subj=news

    Shuttleworth: Oracle-Ubuntu partnership only a matter of time

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Canonical Ltd. CEO Mark Shuttleworth said a partnership with
    | Oracle is no longer a matter of if, but when.
    `----

    http://searchopensource.techtarget.c...226514,00.html
    http://tinyurl.com/yht7mk

  2. Re: [News] Oracle F**ks Red Hat

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Related:
    >
    > Oracle's mixed messages on "compatibility" with Red Hat Enterprise Linux
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | No offense, Oracle, but if it looks like a fork, smells like a fork, and
    > | acts like a fork, it's a fork, and "fully compatible" is simply not a
    > | credible guarantee. You can't change someone else's code and crown it
    > | "fully compatible."
    > `----
    >
    > http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9772650-16.html

    Suse is not Redhat
    Debian is not Redhat
    Ubuntu is not Redhat
    ....every other distro - is not Redhat

    There are many compatibilities, as there are many local oddities.

    Do we really care if a distro takes a slight turn from the distro it is
    based on? I don't think we do, Ubuntu would just be Debian if they didn't
    do anything of their own. But you still have Debian underneath, Ubuntu
    only exists because Debian have given them a strong platform to stand on.

    > Oracle claims no Linux ulterior motive
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Oracle is using LinuxWorld to try and calm concerns its Enterprise Linux
    > | and Unbreakable Linux Network (ULN) will fork Red Hat and fragment the
    > | Linux market.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.channelregister.co.uk/200...e_uln_red_hat/

    Oracle have already proven to be good for Linux. Big names are now willing
    to move from their UNIX, they were not willing to move when the road into
    Linux was as rocky as it once was. Solaris made a fair few sit up to take
    notice, at last we had a platform that was UNIX enough to alay the fears of
    the big system managers, but Linux enough to be future proof.

    Then Oracle turns up and now they have the biggest name of all in the
    database world on their side, with a well proven record of support.

    I said all along that Oracle is good for Linux and Linux is essential for
    Oracle. I think that as time goes on I am being proved right.

    We shouldn't be afraid of Oracle Linux, it is for our own good.

  3. Re: [News] Oracle F**ks Red Hat

    ____/ BearItAll on Tuesday 23 October 2007 16:23 : \____

    > There are many compatibilities, as there are many local oddities.

    True, and I agree. Some critics raise the concern that Oracle claims full RHEL
    compatibility whereas actual tests prove otherwise.

    Let's hope that Oracle does some good work at OIN and that Ellison continues to
    slam Microsoft's illegal business practises (he's probably just a tad jealous
    because he would happily take a place among the abusing robber barons).

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | No SCO code was used to generate this sig