All I needed was a kernel recompile! - Linux

This is a discussion on All I needed was a kernel recompile! - Linux ; [snips] On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 02:36:19 +0000, skydweller wrote: > On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 19:21:06 -0400, DFS wrote: >> It [Vista] has dozens of strong points. >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feature..._Windows_Vista Aero. This is a strong point? Compared to a decent ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 24 of 24

  1. Re: All I needed was a kernel recompile!

    [snips]

    On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 02:36:19 +0000, skydweller wrote:

    > On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 19:21:06 -0400, DFS wrote:

    >> It [Vista] has dozens of strong points.
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feature..._Windows_Vista

    Aero. This is a strong point? Compared to a decent Beryl setup, it has
    limited functionality, with excessive hardware requirements to do even the
    little it does. Windows has it, Linux has it better.

    Windows Explorer - copying and moving. "If a conflict or error is
    encountered, it does not terminate the copy or move operation. Rather, the
    file is skipped and the rest of the files processed." Oh, they finally
    caught up to where Linux file managers have been for what, a decade?
    Well, not really, except occasionally as here.

    "In Windows Vista onwards, file type associations and protocol handlers can
    be set on a per-user basis" - what, you mean like Linux has been doing for
    like forever? Windows has it, Linux has it.

    "JPEG files can be natively set as the desktop wallpaper without using
    Active Desktop" Ooh, how marvellous. Meanwhile, what works here? bmp,
    eps, jpg, jpeg2000, png, ppm, rgb, tga, xbm, xpm, perhaps more. Hmm,
    wonder if they ever got their scaling fixed? I've been able to scale an
    image to the minimum of screen width or height, while preserving the image
    aspect ratio, for pretty much forever, something XP at least seemed
    incapable of doing. Windows has it, Linux has it.

    "Windows Vista features system-wide integrated search, called Instant
    Search" Yes, well, I've got search as well. Hell, I've got more search
    than I know what to do with. kat and strigi and beagle and so on and so
    forth. Windows has it, Linux has it.

    "Windows Sidebar". SuperKaramaba, anyone? Windows has it, Linux has it.

    "Newand upgraded applications". Well, golly gee, Batman, every OS has
    those, except the ones no longer used - which, frankly, aren't too many.
    Ooh, OE now has a bayesian filter included. I have about eight to choose
    from - plus tie-ins to a half-dozen other anti-spam agents. Plus DSPAM,
    DCC and the like. Windows has it, Linux has it better.

    Wordpad! How can we overlook this! You too, can... er... well, not much,
    really. Meanwhile, I have two entire office suites bundled. Windows has
    it, Linux has it better.

    "Internet Explorer 7" Yes, well, it may be better than 6, but it's still
    IE. Meanwhile I've got balsa and konq and firefox and so on and so forth.
    Windows has it, Linux has it better.

    "Windows Media Player". Looks like an improvement, but in seeing the
    music side of things, I don't see a lot of the features I get out of the
    box from Amarok. Lyrics being an example of such. And does it tie in
    with last.fm or the like? How about something equivalent to the moodbar?
    Renaming of files and filling in of missing details based on
    fingerprinting of the actual music? Maybe, but the interface shown
    doesn't seem to indicate it. Windows has it, Linux has it better.

    "Windows Media Center". Oh, right, like the one I have a click away,
    which doesn't care if I'm using a premium or ultimate version.

    "IIS7". Now with configurations in XML. Well, it's a start; eventually
    they'll get to the point of sane, human-compatible text files, a la
    apache. Oh, and it still _effectively_ limits the thing to 10
    connections, though it doesn't say if it actually allows you to define
    more than one site or not. None of that silly nonsense with Linux,
    fortunately. Windows has it, Linux has it better.

    I think I'll stop now; the trend is pretty obvious: Windows, once again,
    playing catch-up to Linux, yet failing miserably. In some areas they're
    about at par, in many Linux simply surges ahead, leaving Windows in the
    dust. On a feature-by-feature comparison, Windows is the definite loser.
    Fortunately for MS, they have the advertising budget and the ability to
    stuff distribution channels, or the product would die, perhaps slowly, but
    inevitably.

  2. Re: All I needed was a kernel recompile!

    Kelsey Bjarnason :

    > Windows Explorer - copying and moving. "If a conflict or error is
    > encountered, it does not terminate the copy or move operation. Rather, the
    > file is skipped and the rest of the files processed." Oh, they finally
    > caught up to where Linux file managers have been for what, a decade?
    > Well, not really, except occasionally as here.

    As a guy who has to work on Windows, this 'feature' is damned good news!
    No more having to restart backups all the freaking time!

    --
    What can you use used tampons for? Tea bags for vampires.

    http://www.websterscafe.com

  3. Re: All I needed was a kernel recompile!

    On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 22:39:54 +0000, Handover Phist wrote:

    > Kelsey Bjarnason :
    >>
    >> Windows Explorer - copying and moving. "If a conflict or error is
    >> encountered, it does not terminate the copy or move operation. Rather, the
    >> file is skipped and the rest of the files processed." Oh, they finally
    >> caught up to where Linux file managers have been for what, a decade?
    >> Well, not really, except occasionally as here.

    > As a guy who has to work on Windows, this 'feature' is damned good news!
    > No more having to restart backups all the freaking time!

    Oh, yes, don't get me wrong, this is a major step forward for Windows;
    it's just been the norm for file management, in Linux, for pretty much
    forever.

    Just another case of Microsoft leading the pack.

  4. Re: All I needed was a kernel recompile!

    On 2007-10-23, Simon Templar wrote:

    > "Rex Ballard" wrote in message
    > news:1193144452.727482.146770@z24g2000prh.googlegr oups.com...
    >> On Oct 23, 8:27 am, "DFS" wrote:
    >>> Problem: 100% memory and CPU usage when running 64-bit Linux (slamd64)
    >>>
    >>> Fix: "Apparently my chipset's IDE DMA module wasn't enabled in the kernel
    >>> config, which I found out after randomly fussing with my Slackware 12
    >>> install. I wasn't able to set DMA on my drive, which was brought to my
    >>> attention by fsck running, of all things. So I enabled it on a kernel
    >>> recompile for 2.6.22.1 and, sure enough, that was the problem."

    >> First of all, Slackware is most popular among users who have very
    >> little RAM on their computers. One of the reasons for this is that
    >> there are different kernels that can be selected which have been
    >> "skinnied down" and include only the probes and modules needed for
    >> common configurations, such as IDE with common network cards.

    > Excuses, excuses and more excuses.

    What I want to know is why this idiot insisted on recompiling
    his entire kernel when he probably just needed to alter a runtime option
    or rebuild the offending device driver.

    It might not even be any more complex than attempting the same
    tweak for an equivalent Linux driver.

    --
    OpenDoc is moot when Apple is your one stop iShop. |||
    / | \

    http://www.usenet.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2