[FLASH]Microsoft to carry out EU ruling - Linux

This is a discussion on [FLASH]Microsoft to carry out EU ruling - Linux ; This remains to be seen. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7056288.stm -- Registerd Linux user #445917 at http://counter.li.org/...

  1. [FLASH]Microsoft to carry out EU ruling

    This remains to be seen.

  2. Re: [FLASH]Microsoft to carry out EU ruling

    ____/ Attila on Tuesday 23 October 2007 06:35 : \____

    > This remains to be seen.

    It might be worthless. Microsoft signed its 4th patent deal to escape the wrath
    of those whom it abused.

    Let's Make a Deal - The MS-EU Settlement

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The patent part is terrible. Worse than terrible. They are not blocked from
    | offering patent deals, only constrained as to how much to charge for a
    | license, which is not and never was the issue. So they'll beef up those
    | initiatives, I'm sure. However, the good part is that they were compelled to
    | separate the patent license offer out and make it optional. Thanks, but no
    | thanks.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | I'm guessing Microsoft lawyers are high fiving each other, having snatched an
    | important victory from utter and total defeat. The rest is excellent, of
    | course, and in no way do I mean to detract from the hard work and persistence
    | that the EU Commission has shown. However, I don't think they understand how
    | seriously broken the US patent system is currently, and how easy it is to
    | abuse it, or they don't feel it's their job to fix the US problems, or how
    | central patents are to Microsoft's current strategy against FOSS.
    `----

    ~~ Best of wishes

    The Intel-Dell-MS oligopoly/treo can be weakened by competition (Freedom)
    07:05:01 up 6 days, 15:50, 3 users, load average: 0.11, 0.67, 1.01