[News] Software as a Service Company Favours Linux - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Software as a Service Company Favours Linux - Linux ; Firm picks Oracle 10g on Red Hat Enterprise Linux for the long haul ,----[ Quote ] | When it came time for fleet tracking and management software provider Cadec | Global LLC to rebuild its software as a Software as ...

  1. [News] Software as a Service Company Favours Linux

    Firm picks Oracle 10g on Red Hat Enterprise Linux for the long haul

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | When it came time for fleet tracking and management software provider Cadec
    | Global LLC to rebuild its software as a Software as a Service (SaaS)
    | offering, Cadec's chief architect, Heimir Sverrisson, knew it had to be
    | deployed on Linux, not Microsoft Windows or a proprietary Unix flavor like
    | Sun Microsystems' Solaris or IBM's AIX.
    `----

    http://searchenterpriselinux.techtar...277719,00.html

    Meanwhile, Microsoft resorts to legal FUD (because it cannot compete)

    Linux Under the Legal Lens

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Before open source-specific issues can be decided, however, the court will
    | have to decide a broader question: Is software even patentable?
    `----

    http://www.itbusinessedge.com/blogs/osb/?p=255

  2. Re: [News] Software as a Service Company Favours Linux

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Firm picks Oracle 10g on Red Hat Enterprise Linux for the long haul
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | When it came time for fleet tracking and management software provider
    > | Cadec Global LLC to rebuild its software as a Software as a Service
    > | (SaaS) offering, Cadec's chief architect, Heimir Sverrisson, knew it had
    > | to be deployed on Linux, not Microsoft Windows or a proprietary Unix
    > | flavor like Sun Microsystems' Solaris or IBM's AIX.
    > `----

    http://searchenterpriselinux.techtar...277719,00.html

    If you read the text of this it makes for strange reading. Not the platform
    or the OS, but the database.

    "The worry of different users being able to see into each other's database,
    while not wanting one database per user".

    Databases that don't allow one user to see another user's data are pretty
    fundamental. It makes you wonder what the team actually meant. There has to
    be more to it than is written in the artical.

    There is nothing wrong with their choice of Oracle, but the singular reason
    of wanting to keep the users seperate wasn't enough to opt for one database
    over another. It is simply a matter of implementation, what ever database
    is selected.

    I would also question their reasons for dismissing Solaris. I am sure a
    Redhat or two could do a good job at this, but if they are going to
    eventually aim at high volume comms, then I wouldn't be so willing to throw
    Solaris out of the picture.

    We only have the text of that artical to go by, probably there was a good in
    depth study before deciding on a platform, OS and database engine. I also
    have no problems with their final choices of Redhat and Oracle. But I get
    the impression from the text that all is not well, decisions made for wrong
    reasons always gets my neck hairs twitching.

    Ok, hands up, I am as guilty as anyone of sometimes making a design decision
    based purely on the fact that there is something I want to play with. It's
    easy to make the board room meeting biased towards what you want to do
    rather than what should be done. That is not the same thing as the article
    suggests to me has been done for PowerVue.

  3. Re: [News] Software as a Service Company Favours Linux

    ____/ BearItAll on Tuesday 23 October 2007 09:31 : \____

    > sometimes making a design decision
    > based purely on the fact that there is something I want to play with.

    ^^^^^^^^^

    Sometimes, people choose something they want to pay with, or get paid for. It's
    not just a matter of feel or perception, but also links in industry. There are
    examples of this (notably companies that choose Microsoft because the execs
    are former Softies).

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Every beginning must start somewhere
    run-level 2 2007-10-16 15:14 last=