Vista versus The Gutsy Gibbon - Ubuntu 7.10

,----[ Quote ]
| Then how come I'm so much more at home with Ubuntu than Vista? It boils down
| to one abiding impression: Ubuntu goes out of its way to get out of your way,
| even if it doesn't succeed all the time. Vista goes out of its way to be
| Vista and enforce the Vista way. You must conform regardless of the
| implications.
|
| Call me curmudgeonly, call me prejudiced, call me atypical, but isn't
| computing all about doing what users want?
`----

http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,...331777b,00.htm

Ubuntu 7.10 - Installation walk-through

,----[ Quote ]
| This gallery will show you just how quick and easy it is to install Ubuntu
| 7.10 and have it up and running on a system.
`----

http://content.zdnet.com/2346-12554_22-171001-1.html

And another reminder that Ubuntu is /NOT/ the best of Linux. It's just one
option.

Ubuntu: where to from here?

,----[ Quote ]
| In business, as in many other things in life, it is relatively easy to plan
| for failure.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/14966/1091/

Related:

10 Advantages of Ubuntu over Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| I converted from Vista to Ubuntu a little over 2 months ago and am
| soooooo happy with it, best decision of my life. I am going to tell
| you my top 10 advantages of it over Windows Vista.
`----

http://thecomputingexpert.com/start/?p=261

Mac, PC or Linux? Your next operating system

,----[ Quote ]
| Over the next five pages we outline the key benefits of each OS to
| take the hassle out of deciding whether XP, Vista, Mac OS or Linux
| is most suitable for you. And the prescient facts are presented
| here, in this feature comparison table...
`----

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/inde...SS&newsid=9333
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/cmsdata/n...or%20Linux.pdf

The Right Operating System for You

,----[ Quote ]
| With its minimal hardware requirements and solid security, Linux can
| serve as a bulletproof primary OS. And with painless dual-booting
| and virtualization options, including several free and open-source
| apps and the kernel-based Xen software, you can easily try out the
| latest in Linux without having to give up your current operating system.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/printable/art...printable.html

A Vista vs. Linux Matchup - Part 4: Software Wars - Bundled Apps

,----[ Quote ]
| Unfortunately for Microsoft and Vista, Windows Mail is in no way,
| shape, or form the equal of Evolution.
|
| [...]
|
| In balance, though, up to this point, I still see MEPIS as being
| the software leader. Not only does it give you better programs --
| Firefox and Evolution -- it offers you more choice from the moment
| you fire it up on your PC.
`----

http://desktoplinux.com/articles/AT5191206626.html

A Vista vs. Linux Matchup

,----[ Quote ]
| Putting aside Apple hardware, where all the software works with
| all the hardware so long as it's all up to the minute, I found
| that MEPIS actually has better hardware support for this PC
| than Vista.
|
| [...]
|
| Adding insult to injury, since DRM protection schemes must
| evolve constantly, to stay ahead of hackers tearing them down,
| I have little doubt that one day you'll come home to find that
| a Vista update to DRM-protection has just locked you out of your
| media collection. You know, the same collection, which had
| worked just fine the day before. Repeat after me: DRM does
| not belong in operating systems.
`----

http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT9325931427.html

Top 10 Reasons to Choose Linux over Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| # DRM...
| # Security...
| # Beryl...
| # Ubuntu...
| # Google...
| # Firefox...
| # OpenOffice...
| # Software choice...
| # Cost...
| # Linux (no matter what flavour you get) is updated multiple times
| * per year with the latest and greatest.
`----

http://www.davidgrant.ca/top_10_reas...nux_over_vista

Ten reasons to use Linux

,----[ The gist ]
| 1) It's free.
| 2) It's stable.
| 3) It allows for more configuration and customization then any
| other operating system.
| 4) It doesn't get viruses or spyware.
| 5) It works on old and new computers alike.
| 6) You support the Open Source community by using Linux.
| 7) Many programs are free on Linux.
| 8) It is faster then other operating systems because many programs
| can be custom compiled for your PC.
| 9) It has a supportive user base.
| 10) Its logo.
`----

http://www.jubling.com/ten-reasons-to-use-linux.html

openSUSE 10.2 Better than Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| The new OpenSuSE 10.2 is by far more friendly and stable than the new
| VISTA Microsoft has offered us. It really comes with a great GUI to
| rival VISTAs AERO theme and also provides more compatibility with
| the hardware requirements than VISTA.
`----

http://linux.wordpress.com/2007/01/1...er-than-vista/

Why Linux should be taken over Vista