[News] EU/Microsoft - Patent Mess, Not Good News - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] EU/Microsoft - Patent Mess, Not Good News - Linux ; Let's Make a Deal - The MS-EU Settlement ,----[ Quote ] | The patent part is terrible. Worse than terrible. They are not blocked from | offering patent deals, only constrained as to how much to charge for a | ...

  1. [News] EU/Microsoft - Patent Mess, Not Good News

    Let's Make a Deal - The MS-EU Settlement

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The patent part is terrible. Worse than terrible. They are not blocked from
    | offering patent deals, only constrained as to how much to charge for a
    | license, which is not and never was the issue. So they'll beef up those
    | initiatives, I'm sure. However, the good part is that they were compelled to
    | separate the patent license offer out and make it optional. Thanks, but no
    | thanks.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | I'm guessing Microsoft lawyers are high fiving each other, having snatched an
    | important victory from utter and total defeat. The rest is excellent, of
    | course, and in no way do I mean to detract from the hard work and persistence
    | that the EU Commission has shown. However, I don't think they understand how
    | seriously broken the US patent system is currently, and how easy it is to
    | abuse it, or they don't feel it's their job to fix the US problems, or how
    | central patents are to Microsoft's current strategy against FOSS.
    `----

    It's truly a shame.

    Related:

    Free-market think tank urges EU to unbundle Windows

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Globalisation Institute, a European think-tank run by free market
    | advocates, today went on the offensive against Microsoft, calling on the EU
    | to require all PCs to be sold without operating systems.
    `----

    http://www.channelregister.co.uk/200...dows_bundling/

  2. Re: [News] EU/Microsoft - Patent Mess, Not Good News

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > Let's Make a Deal - The MS-EU Settlement
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| The patent part is terrible. Worse than terrible. They are not blocked from
    >| offering patent deals, only constrained as to how much to charge for a
    >| license, which is not and never was the issue. So they'll beef up those
    >| initiatives, I'm sure. However, the good part is that they were compelled to
    >| separate the patent license offer out and make it optional. Thanks, but no
    >| thanks.
    >|
    >| [...]
    >|
    >| I'm guessing Microsoft lawyers are high fiving each other, having snatched an
    >| important victory from utter and total defeat. The rest is excellent, of
    >| course, and in no way do I mean to detract from the hard work and persistence
    >| that the EU Commission has shown. However, I don't think they understand how
    >| seriously broken the US patent system is currently, and how easy it is to
    >| abuse it, or they don't feel it's their job to fix the US problems, or how
    >| central patents are to Microsoft's current strategy against FOSS.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?s...71022114731199
    >
    > It's truly a shame.

    Except software patents are not valid in the EU, so it doesn't matter.

  3. Re: [News] EU/Microsoft - Patent Mess, Not Good News

    ____/ Mark Kent on Friday 26 October 2007 15:05 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >> Let's Make a Deal - The MS-EU Settlement
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| The patent part is terrible. Worse than terrible. They are not blocked from
    >>| offering patent deals, only constrained as to how much to charge for a
    >>| license, which is not and never was the issue. So they'll beef up those
    >>| initiatives, I'm sure. However, the good part is that they were compelled
    >>| to separate the patent license offer out and make it optional. Thanks, but
    >>| no thanks.
    >>|
    >>| [...]
    >>|
    >>| I'm guessing Microsoft lawyers are high fiving each other, having snatched
    >>| an important victory from utter and total defeat. The rest is excellent, of
    >>| course, and in no way do I mean to detract from the hard work and
    >>| persistence that the EU Commission has shown. However, I don't think they
    >>| understand how seriously broken the US patent system is currently, and how
    >>| easy it is to abuse it, or they don't feel it's their job to fix the US
    >>| problems, or how central patents are to Microsoft's current strategy
    >>| against FOSS.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?s...71022114731199
    >>
    >> It's truly a shame.

    > Except software patents are not valid in the EU, so it doesn't matter.

    A new article from Aussie suggests that it'll drive projects such as Samba to
    Europe. And they say Microsoft is good for America? Many people have warned
    for at least a year that USPTO drives all the innovation elsewhere. The patent
    mountain erupted a couple of months ago, so a gradual migration of developers
    is likely.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Microsoft loves competition.
    "I’m thinking of hitting the OEMs harder than in the past with anti-Linux. ...
    they should do a delicate dance"
    --Joachim Kempin, Microsoft OEM Chief

  4. Re: [News] EU/Microsoft - Patent Mess, Not Good News

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ Mark Kent on Friday 26 October 2007 15:05 : \____
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >>> Let's Make a Deal - The MS-EU Settlement
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]

    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?s...71022114731199
    >>>
    >>> It's truly a shame.

    >> Except software patents are not valid in the EU, so it doesn't matter.

    > A new article from Aussie suggests that it'll drive projects such as Samba to
    > Europe. And they say Microsoft is good for America? Many people have warned
    > for at least a year that USPTO drives all the innovation elsewhere. The patent
    > mountain erupted a couple of months ago, so a gradual migration of developers
    > is likely.

    I suspect that most of the developers will not move, they'll just have
    to shift their efforts onto areas where Microsfot do not have a patent
    claim.

    The real work will have to move outside of Nafta and Australia. Good
    news for European, MiddleEastern, African, Russian, Indian, Asian
    developers, though.

  5. Re: [News] EU/Microsoft - Patent Mess, Not Good News

    ____/ Mark Kent on Friday 26 October 2007 16:19 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >> ____/ Mark Kent on Friday 26 October 2007 15:05 : \____
    >>
    >>> Roy Schestowitz espoused:

    >>> Except software patents are not valid in the EU, so it doesn't matter.

    >> A new article from Aussie suggests that it'll drive projects such as Samba
    >> to Europe. And they say Microsoft is good for America? Many people have
    >> warned for at least a year that USPTO drives all the innovation elsewhere.
    >> The patent mountain erupted a couple of months ago, so a gradual migration
    >> of developers is likely.
    >>

    > I suspect that most of the developers will not move, they'll just have
    > to shift their efforts onto areas where Microsfot do not have a patent
    > claim.
    >
    > The real work will have to move outside of Nafta and Australia. Good
    > news for European, MiddleEastern, African, Russian, Indian, Asian
    > developers, though.

    Hiser, who is very involved with that sort of stuff, has just left an
    intriguing comment:
    http://boycottnovell.com/2007/10/26/.../#comment-2445

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "I feed my 3 penguins with electricity and love"