[News] Another Kick-ass Column from Jeremy Allison on INNOVA~1 - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Another Kick-ass Column from Jeremy Allison on INNOVA~1 - Linux ; The Low Point--a view from the Valley: The innovation game ,----[ Quote ] | Innovation is a weasel word. It used to earn an honest living, but now it's | been hijacked by marketing people for dishonest purposes. It's now ...

  1. [News] Another Kick-ass Column from Jeremy Allison on INNOVA~1

    The Low Point--a view from the Valley: The innovation game

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Innovation is a weasel word. It used to earn an honest living, but now it's
    | been hijacked by marketing people for dishonest purposes. It's now in the
    | same category as "rich". Does anyone now hear the words "rich user
    | experience" or "rich client" without thinking of a bloated, Windows-only
    | client that doesn't use open or standard protocols? Controlling the language
    | like this is power. Whoever defines the words we use can control the way we
    | think about things. Our knowledge of language limits how we can express our
    | thoughts. Innovation these days is being used as a code word for large,
    | corporate controlled research and development, regardless of any results it
    | might produce.
    `----

    http://news.zdnet.com/2424-9595_22-171600.html

    All about /perception/.

    Related:

    Innovation: The REAL Killer App

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | There is no true innovation in Windows Vista. Microsoft has spent
    | years developing a product that nobody cared about or wanted. All
    | Microsoft was developing was the operating system they needed to
    | perpetuate their Windows franchise. After long hold ups in
    | development, this has left their Windows revenues at a trickle.
    | The sad thing is the GNU/Linux camp has done little to combat
    | this deficiency in innovation. They have been more concerned
    | with creating an equivalent product at a better price rather than
    | a better product at a better price. Sure GNU/Linux is a better
    | product due to its inherent stability, performance and security,
    | but these aren't the features that home consumers migrate
    | platforms for. True innovation, such as improvements in usability,
    | is the only way one can convince consumers to choose your product
    | over a stagnant entrenched one like Windows. It is simple free
    | market economics, the better product at the best price will win.
    `----

    http://free2code.blogspot.com/2007/0...iller-app.html

    Change and development with open source

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Innovation goes hand in hand with open source software. Open source software
    | builds on the innovative nature of people; it comes from people's desire to
    | make something better. It also gives people the skills and resources to
    | become innovative with software. *
    |
    | This is not abstract speculation; a recent report from a group of corporate
    | CIOs states, 'faster product cycles are seen as a big advantage for open
    | source - CIOs believe that product innovation is faster in open source'. *
    `----

    http://www.nccmembership.co.uk/poole..._WEBART_292509

    Apple's Annual Developer's Conference Disappoints For Its Lack of Innovation

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Apple shares fell 3.45% yesterday on general investor disappointment
    | with what was perceived as a lack of innovation at Apple's annual
    | software developer's conference [WWDC].
    `----

    http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/07...5_id.html?.v=1

    OK and FST use Linux-based phone to accelerate mobile device innovation

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Nine months after its official launch, Australian developers have already
    | extended the capabilities of the world's first non-proprietary Linux powered
    | mobile phone.
    `----

    http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/index....01;fp;2;fpid;1

    Balancing open source risk and the total innovation opportunity

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This week I have been banging on and on about the total
    | innovation opportunity of using open source software as an
    | enterprise development platform.
    `----

    http://www.businessreviewonline.com/...cing_open.html

    Can you leave innovation to the customer?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Open source innovation: how does it work?
    |
    | Ideas or problems are made freely available to anyone who can be bothered to
    | look at them. They are then aired in online forums, meaning that glitches are
    | ironed out in record time, and the forum creator charges to a manufacturer to
    | develop the prototype and get the product onto the shelves. *
    `----

    http://blogs.theage.com.au/innovator...u_leave_i.html

  2. Re: [News] Another Kick-ass Column from Jeremy Allison on INNOVA~1

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > "It is simple free market economics, the better product at the best price
    > will win.
    >
    > http://free2code.blogspot.com/2007/0...iller-app.html

    Great self-Linux-nuke there, genius. Explains why Windows/commercial code
    has always and will always win... not just win, but absolutely destroy
    Linux/OSS.

    And ffs, Toy, what are you doing spouting about innovation in cola? You
    post thousands of 2nd and 3rd hand news items to a newsgroup dedicated to
    advocating an OS:

    * based on 40-year old technology

    * where many apps are just plain bad clones of Windows apps

    * whose developers spout lameness like "Vista is introducing alot of new
    features and I'm pretty sure we can (or will very shortly) replicate most of
    those features in Ubuntu."

    * that's 15 years late to the party

    Linux: looking forward to the 90's

  3. Re: [News] Another Kick-ass Column from Jeremy Allison on INNOVA~1

    DFS wrote:

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> "It is simple free market economics, the better product at the best price
    >> will win.
    >>
    >> http://free2code.blogspot.com/2007/0...iller-app.html

    > Great self-Linux-nuke there, genius. Explains why Windows/commercial code
    > has always and will always win... not just win, but absolutely destroy
    > Linux/OSS.

    Commercial products are not banned from the open source camp. If you have
    written an application and want to charge for it's use or a service
    connected with it's you can do that.

  4. Re: [News] Another Kick-ass Column from Jeremy Allison on INNOVA~1

    BearItAll wrote:
    > DFS wrote:
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>> "It is simple free market economics, the better product at the best
    >>> price will win.
    >>>
    >>> http://free2code.blogspot.com/2007/0...iller-app.html

    >> Great self-Linux-nuke there, genius. Explains why
    >> Windows/commercial code has always and will always win... not just
    >> win, but absolutely destroy Linux/OSS.
    >>

    > Commercial products are not banned from the open source camp. If you
    > have written an application and want to charge for it's use or a
    > service connected with it's you can do that.

    Yes. And the best products at the best prices will win - and most will be
    commercial, closed source products that you have to pay for.

  5. Re: [News] Another Kick-ass Column from Jeremy Allison on INNOVA~1

    ____/ BearItAll on Tuesday 23 October 2007 13:35 : \____

    > DFS wrote:
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>> "It is simple free market economics, the better product at the best price
    >>> will win.
    >>>
    >>> http://free2code.blogspot.com/2007/0...iller-app.html

    >> Great self-Linux-nuke there, genius. Explains why Windows/commercial code
    >> has always and will always win... not just win, but absolutely destroy
    >> Linux/OSS.
    >>

    > Commercial products are not banned from the open source camp. If you have
    > written an application and want to charge for it's use or a service
    > connected with it's you can do that.

    He's spreading FUD. Microsoft does this too (about the GPL and how 'cancerous'
    it is). I used to use MATLAB on Linux for years. It's proprietary. I no longer
    use it, by the way, so all my apps are Free software (some drivers may not
    be).

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Never awaking askew, no matter what they ask you

  6. Re: [News] Another Kick-ass Column from Jeremy Allison on INNOVA~1

    > Change and development with open source
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Innovation goes hand in hand with open source software.

    You would think so wouldn't you. It certainly was the case. But is it still
    true?

    There were many years where the visual could be used to show that something
    has changed, because that side was developing along side underlying and
    unrelated code. That seems to have grown such that only the visual is used
    as an indicator of innovation in some minds, computer mags have always been
    that way, if each of MS's new products had looked too much the same as it's
    predicessor, then it got panned. Linux mags are just a guilty of this.

    I was always disapointed with the reaction that Gnome got, they seemed to
    have gone quiet for a while, I think it was about two years with nothing
    major coming out, only very minor updates here and there. Then they
    released 2.x, there had done very little with the visual, but there had
    been a huge amount of work underneath, it was very obvious that the gnome
    teams had been far from idle. It was stream lined, incredibly stable, all
    the xml work to make using and customizing Gnome much much easier for
    vendors.

    But most jernos didn't touch any of the work that had been done, instead all
    we got were reports that it's 'Just the same as the last version, except a
    kewl new button bitmap ....', or they would quote the gnome site page, not
    deviating at all, probably because they didn't understand what it was
    telling them.

    I always dreaded that one day the jernos and the fashion fags would drive
    Linux in the same direction as Windows. Don't forget that much of MS Win's
    driving force came from mags and the public shouting for " ... kewl stuff
    as quick as possible, no time for a full test mate, we want it NOW!!!".

    I think some areas of Linux are pushing far too close to that side of things
    for Linux's own good. Linux is only here at all because of the gentle plod,
    adding and developing where needed, in the time that it takes to do it,
    rush jobs only when a problem has to be fixed on already released code.
    With new additions being more rare, but being thought out.

  7. Re: [News] Another Kick-ass Column from Jeremy Allison on INNOVA~1

    ____/ BearItAll on Tuesday 23 October 2007 14:02 : \____

    > or they would quote the gnome site page, not
    > deviating at all, probably because they didn't understand what it was
    > telling them.

    Faster scrolling in large lists, new audio framework that assists developers,
    improved modularity and extra hooks, removal of memory leaks, etc.

    But hey! No flip mode???

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "Turn up the jukebox and tell me a lie"
    14:00:04 up 6 days, 22:45, 3 users, load average: 2.81, 1.50, 1.43