2 million Euros per day - Linux

This is a discussion on 2 million Euros per day - Linux ; "Microsoft has paid nearly 1 billion euros, or $1.43 billion, in fines since the commission's initial ruling and could face up to 1.6 billion euros more, which began accumulating in December 2005 after Microsoft failed to provide the protocols. Ms. ...

  1. 2 million Euros per day

    "Microsoft has paid nearly 1 billion euros, or $1.43 billion, in fines
    since the commission's initial ruling and could face up to 1.6 billion
    euros more, which began accumulating in December 2005 after Microsoft
    failed to provide the protocols. Ms. Kroes said she would decide
    before the end of the year whether Microsoft must pay the additional
    fines."

    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/22/te...74d&ei=5087%0A
    http://tinyurl.com/2fpkc7

    http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/tech...e3c&ei=5087%0A
    http://tinyurl.com/25k28c

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europea...antitrust_case

    I can't help but wonder about the timing for Microsoft's conceding. My
    explanation is the upcoming decision in the USA case. There are
    several states which are not satisfied with the ending of the parole,
    which would happen this November. If Microsoft were seen in contempt
    against Europe, the US AGs could have a big motivation to rein in by
    extending the parole period. Now that an agreement has been reached on
    the right (and they are right indeed!) side of the pond, there is less
    justification for the parole extension.

    A most interesting response to watch now is the reaction of the Bush
    regulators, who claimed the European sanctions were out of order.
    Microsoft fully agrees with the sanctions, so they deem them to be
    appropriate.

    -Ramon

    ps: notice that Neely and Blamer had a private tete-a-tete in a nice
    restaurant in Amsterdam. I bet he was a very polite gentleman and
    didn't toss a single chair.

    "Steve: I asked for a tossed *salad*!"

  2. Re: 2 million Euros per day

    Ramon F Herrera :

    > "Microsoft has paid nearly 1 billion euros, or $1.43 billion, in fines
    > since the commission's initial ruling and could face up to 1.6 billion
    > euros more, which began accumulating in December 2005 after Microsoft
    > failed to provide the protocols. Ms. Kroes said she would decide
    > before the end of the year whether Microsoft must pay the additional
    > fines."

    Microsoft is now the standard in paving European_roads.net.

    Or something.

    --
    PIGS SHOULDN'T RULE

    http://www.websterscafe.com

  3. Re: 2 million Euros per day

    ____/ Ramon F Herrera on Tuesday 23 October 2007 01:20 : \____

    > ps: notice that Neely and Blamer had a private tete-a-tete in a nice
    > restaurant in Amsterdam. I bet he was a very polite gentleman and
    > didn't toss a single chair.
    >
    > "Steve: I asked for a tossed *salad*!"

    No, he asked for intellectual property (newspeak for "software patents", which
    are illegal in europe) because his rival "have obligations" to pay Microsoft
    after it deliberately corrupted standard.

    Let's Make a Deal - The MS-EU Settlement

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The patent part is terrible. Worse than terrible. They are not blocked from
    | offering patent deals, only constrained as to how much to charge for a
    | license, which is not and never was the issue. So they'll beef up those
    | initiatives, I'm sure. However, the good part is that they were compelled to
    | separate the patent license offer out and make it optional. Thanks, but no
    | thanks.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | I'm guessing Microsoft lawyers are high fiving each other, having snatched an
    | important victory from utter and total defeat. The rest is excellent, of
    | course, and in no way do I mean to detract from the hard work and persistence
    | that the EU Commission has shown. However, I don't think they understand how
    | seriously broken the US patent system is currently, and how easy it is to
    | abuse it, or they don't feel it's their job to fix the US problems, or how
    | central patents are to Microsoft's current strategy against FOSS.
    `----

    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Y |-(1^2)|^(1/2)+1 K
    Swap: 1510068k total, 372384k used, 1137684k free, 66636k cached