Consumers reject low quality OSS alternatives. Seem to be very happy with quality name brand products. - Linux

This is a discussion on Consumers reject low quality OSS alternatives. Seem to be very happy with quality name brand products. - Linux ; raylopez99 wrote: > On Oct 22, 1:42 pm, shanejoel wrote: >> I dont care about cheap or free, i care about quality, security, and >> stability. Why so angry? > > Why ANGRY dirtball? Because COLA fools like you sucker ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

  1. Re: Consumers reject low quality OSS alternatives. Seem to be very happy with quality name brand products.

    raylopez99 wrote:

    > On Oct 22, 1:42 pm, shanejoel wrote:
    >> I dont care about cheap or free, i care about quality, security, and
    >> stability. Why so angry?

    > Why ANGRY dirtball? Because COLA fools like you sucker fools like me

    Ahh... an admitted retard.

    > (before I wised up)

    Still a retard...

    > to try Linux, and they then spend countless of
    > their precious weekends just trying to INSTALL the f*ing distro.
    >
    > Admitedly, this was 10 years ago with RedHat 5 I think it was, but I'm
    > STILL PISSED OFF. NEVER AGAIN. NEVER.

    No change yet...

    > RL

  2. Consumers reject low quality OSS alternatives. Seem to be very happy with quality name brand products.

    Yup - everybody is running away from closed propreitary hardware and
    software. As witnessed by what Apple did in the past 3 months.

    Funny how Apple sold more iPods and iPhones in the past 3 months than all of
    these crappy OSS gadgets combined have ever sold. People want name brand
    quality. It's only the COLA bozo's only care about cheap or free.

    http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/071022/aqm220.html?.v=5

    - "Apple shipped 2,164,000 Macintosh® computers, representing 34 percent
    growth over the year-ago quarter and exceeding the previous quarterly record
    for Mac® shipments by 400,000. The Company sold 10,200,000 iPods during the
    quarter, representing 17 percent growth over the year-ago quarter. Quarterly
    iPhone(TM) sales were 1,119,000, bringing cumulative fiscal 2007 sales to
    1,389,000."

  3. Re: Consumers reject low quality OSS alternatives. Seem to be very happy with quality name brand products.

    On Oct 22, 3:39 pm, "Dan D. Lyons" wrote:
    > Yup - everybody is running away from closed propreitary hardware and
    > software. As witnessed by what Apple did in the past 3 months.
    >
    > Funny how Apple sold more iPods and iPhones in the past 3 months than allof
    > these crappy OSS gadgets combined have ever sold. People want name brand
    > quality. It's only the COLA bozo's only care about cheap or free.
    >
    > http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/071022/aqm220.html?.v=5
    >
    > - "Apple shipped 2,164,000 Macintosh® computers, representing 34 percent
    > growth over the year-ago quarter and exceeding the previous quarterly record
    > for Mac® shipments by 400,000. The Company sold 10,200,000 iPods duringthe
    > quarter, representing 17 percent growth over the year-ago quarter. Quarterly
    > iPhone(TM) sales were 1,119,000, bringing cumulative fiscal 2007 sales to
    > 1,389,000."
    >
    > --

    I dont care about cheap or free, i care about quality, security, and
    stability. Why so angry?

  4. Re: Consumers reject low quality OSS alternatives. Seem to be very happy with quality name brand products.

    "shanejoel" wrote in message
    news:1193085773.422317.8580@i38g2000prf.googlegrou ps.com...
    On Oct 22, 3:39 pm, "Dan D. Lyons" wrote:
    > Yup - everybody is running away from closed propreitary hardware and
    > software. As witnessed by what Apple did in the past 3 months.
    >
    > Funny how Apple sold more iPods and iPhones in the past 3 months than all
    > of
    > these crappy OSS gadgets combined have ever sold. People want name brand
    > quality. It's only the COLA bozo's only care about cheap or free.
    >
    > http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/071022/aqm220.html?.v=5
    >
    > - "Apple shipped 2,164,000 Macintosh® computers, representing 34 percent
    > growth over the year-ago quarter and exceeding the previous quarterly
    > record
    > for Mac® shipments by 400,000. The Company sold 10,200,000 iPods during
    > the
    > quarter, representing 17 percent growth over the year-ago quarter.
    > Quarterly
    > iPhone(TM) sales were 1,119,000, bringing cumulative fiscal 2007 sales to
    > 1,389,000."
    >
    > --

    > I dont care about cheap or free, i care about quality, security, and
    > stability. Why so angry?

    I have no idea why so many of the "advocates" here are so angry. They claim
    that it's all about freedom of choice but they get all upset if someone
    selects anything other than some unknown OSS product or OS.

    Consumers seem to be very happy (not angry) with products from Apple,
    Microsoft and Tivo. It;s the "advocates" here who are as angry as a pack of
    rabid dogs.

  5. Re: Consumers reject low quality OSS alternatives. Seem to be very happy with quality name brand products.

    Dan D. Lyons did eloquently scribble:
    > I have no idea why so many of the "advocates" here are so angry. They claim
    > that it's all about freedom of choice but they get all upset if someone
    > selects anything other than some unknown OSS product or OS.

    No, we don't. By all means, stick with windows.
    No-one's suggesting you change.

    It's when morons like you come in here and ... oh what's the use.
    It's just yet another out of a plethora of gmail sockpuppets that've
    infested this newsgroup over the past couple of months.

    Flatfish must be INCREDIBLY bored.

  6. Re: Consumers reject low quality OSS alternatives. Seem to be very happy with quality name brand products.

    On Oct 22, 4:52 pm, "Dan D. Lyons" wrote:
    > "shanejoel" wrote in message
    >
    > news:1193085773.422317.8580@i38g2000prf.googlegrou ps.com...
    > On Oct 22, 3:39 pm, "Dan D. Lyons" wrote:
    >

    > > Yup - everybody is running away from closed propreitary hardware and
    > > software. As witnessed by what Apple did in the past 3 months.

    > > Funny how Apple sold more iPods and iPhones in the past 3 months than all
    > > of
    > > these crappy OSS gadgets combined have ever sold. People want name brand
    > > quality. It's only the COLA bozo's only care about cheap or free.

    > >http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/071022/aqm220.html?.v=5

    > > - "Apple shipped 2,164,000 Macintosh® computers, representing 34 percent
    > > growth over the year-ago quarter and exceeding the previous quarterly
    > > record
    > > for Mac® shipments by 400,000. The Company sold 10,200,000 iPods during
    > > the
    > > quarter, representing 17 percent growth over the year-ago quarter.
    > > Quarterly
    > > iPhone(TM) sales were 1,119,000, bringing cumulative fiscal 2007 sales to
    > > 1,389,000."

    > > --
    > > I dont care about cheap or free, i care about quality, security, and
    > > stability. Why so angry?

    > I have no idea why so many of the "advocates" here are so angry. They claim
    > that it's all about freedom of choice but they get all upset if someone
    > selects anything other than some unknown OSS product or OS.
    >
    > Consumers seem to be very happy (not angry) with products from Apple,
    > Microsoft and Tivo. It;s the "advocates" here who are as angry as a pack of
    > rabid dogs.
    >
    > --

    There are few Linux advocates in comp.os.linux.advocacy and those who
    are true advocates are not the ones posting the large numbers of
    messages.
    Comp.os.linux.advocacy seems to have been hijacked by a small group of
    self serving, pompous arse's who are using the group for their own
    personal gain, whatever that may be and it can be as simple as seeing
    their name in print, or as complex as being on the payroll of a Linux
    company.
    The latter is doubtful as most of them seem a little unstable if you
    get my drift.

    As for these radical Linux zealots promoting 'openness, choice and
    freedom" nothing could be further from the truth.
    Their actions alone speak for themselves.
    Various boycott sites.
    Letter and email writing campaigns.
    Reporting people whose posting they don't agree with to their ISP's in
    the hopes of getting them tossed.
    Baseless accusations.
    Misleading posts using poor data and links as 'proof', including
    blogs, rather than hard data.
    Discrediting in public those they don't agree with or those who have
    even slightly differing opinions.
    For example look at the patent discussions where some of these bozos
    believe design specs, source code and other proprietary information
    should be given away for free.
    Lunacy at it's best.
    No, the facts and the posts speak for themselves.
    The only time Linux is open, free and choice is allowed is when you
    agree totally, 100 percent, with these Linux loonies.
    So IOW choice is great as long as you choose what they deem
    appropriate, ie:don't dare choose Novell or Linspire.
    My take is to sit back, read and laugh at them because most of them
    are quite entertaining to watch.

    Just don't ever label them "Linux advocates" because not only is it a
    misnomer but it is an insult to those who are true Linux advocates.

  7. Re: Consumers reject low quality OSS alternatives. Seem to be very happy with quality name brand products.

    On Oct 22, 1:42 pm, shanejoel wrote:
    > I dont care about cheap or free, i care about quality, security, and
    > stability. Why so angry?

    Why ANGRY dirtball? Because COLA fools like you sucker fools like me
    (before I wised up) to try Linux, and they then spend countless of
    their precious weekends just trying to INSTALL the f*ing distro.

    Admitedly, this was 10 years ago with RedHat 5 I think it was, but I'm
    STILL PISSED OFF. NEVER AGAIN. NEVER.

    RL

  8. Re: Consumers reject low quality OSS alternatives. Seem to be very happy with quality name brand products.

    On Oct 22, 5:36 pm, raylopez99 wrote:
    > On Oct 22, 1:42 pm, shanejoel wrote:
    >
    > > I dont care about cheap or free, i care about quality, security, and
    > > stability. Why so angry?

    > Why ANGRY dirtball? Because COLA fools like you sucker fools like me
    > (before I wised up) to try Linux, and they then spend countless of
    > their precious weekends just trying to INSTALL the f*ing distro.
    >
    > Admitedly, this was 10 years ago with RedHat 5 I think it was, but I'm
    > STILL PISSED OFF. NEVER AGAIN. NEVER.
    >
    > RL

    Linux is like the 'Family Truckster' from the Chevy Chase Vacation
    movies.
    "If you think you hate it now, wait until you drive it"

    In all fairness however, Linux has come a long way in 10 years.
    You might want to give it another try.

  9. Re: Consumers reject low quality OSS alternatives. Seem to be very happy with quality name brand products.

    On Oct 22, 4:36 pm, raylopez99 wrote:
    > On Oct 22, 1:42 pm, shanejoel wrote:
    >
    > > I dont care about cheap or free, i care about quality, security, and
    > > stability. Why so angry?

    > Why ANGRY dirtball? Because COLA fools like you sucker fools like me
    > (before I wised up) to try Linux, and they then spend countless of
    > their precious weekends just trying to INSTALL the f*ing distro.
    >
    > Admitedly, this was 10 years ago with RedHat 5 I think it was, but I'm
    > STILL PISSED OFF. NEVER AGAIN. NEVER.
    >
    > RL

    Im sorry you had a bad experience with Linux ten years ago. Ten years
    ago I was trying out my second (maybe third) distribution of the OS
    and found that the installation became easier and easier as long as
    you watched what you were installing and the hardware you used. Since
    then, the installation process has become even easier, in fact easier
    in my case than installing a more traditional operating system.

    However even for people like you I would say you need to think about
    your options before you jump on the linux bandwagon. As much as I
    love it (yes im posting from an updated Ubuntu 7.10 install right now)
    it is not the OS that everyone should. Personally I have my ole
    Windows XP system at home just so I can play my favorite MMO without
    having to use caedega (though I do have a subscripton to them as well
    just so I support linux gaming).

    As for the OP, the key to the thread you have started is "low quality
    OSS." Amazingly it does exsist just like low quality MS. But quality
    Linux products do exsist too such as the F5 by BigIP. Few high end
    web farms do not use it even those same farms running MS Windows.
    There is a huge list of Quality open source products out there if
    youre reasonable and pay attention to what youre using. In fact, I
    would venture to say that your message to this news group traveled
    across at least one maybe more quality open source platforms to get
    here. Remember though that Open Source is not synonymous with free
    (as in beer).

    Good luck to the both of you in the future and when you wish to learn
    about OSS, please feel free to post quality discussions about it.

  10. Re: Consumers reject low quality OSS alternatives. Seem to be very happy with quality name brand products.

    Dan D. Lyons schrieb:

    > Consumers seem to be very happy (not angry) with products from Apple,
    > Microsoft and Tivo.

    TiVo has Linux and various other GPLed tools under the hood. I bet you
    didn't know.

    Kind regards

    Jan

  11. Re: Consumers reject low quality OSS alternatives. Seem to be very happy with quality name brand products.

    ____/ Dan D. Lyons on Monday 22 October 2007 21:52 : \____

    *plonk*

    Probably a forger anyway.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Windows XP: Dude, where's my RAM?
    Swap: 1510068k total, 148968k used, 1361100k free, 73864k cached

  12. Re: Consumers reject low quality OSS alternatives. Seem to be very happy with quality name brand products.

    Dan D. Lyons wrote:

    > Yup - everybody is run . . rom closed propreitary hardware and
    > software. As witnessed \|||/ pple did in the past 3 months.
    > (o o)
    > Funny how Apple ,--ooO--(_)-------. ones in the past 3 months than all of
    > these crappy OSS | Please! | ever sold. People want name brand
    > quality. It's on | Do Not Feed The | care about cheap or free.
    > | TROLL |
    > '------------Ooo--'
    > |__|__|
    > http://biz.yahoo.com/pr || || 22/aqm220.html?.v=5
    > ooO Ooo

  13. Re: Consumers reject low quality OSS alternatives. Seem to be very happy with quality name brand products.

    big.momma.thornton@gmail.com wrote:

    > On Oct 22, 5:36 pm, raylopez99 wrote:
    > > On Oct 22, 1:42 pm, shanejoel ,---. nuxmail.org> wrote:
    > > .........................:...................
    > > > I dont | __ ____ __ _____ '| security, and
    > > > stabil | | `\ | __| / _`\ |_ _| |

    > > | | |) || |_ | (_\_| | | |
    > > Why ANGR | | ._/ | _| '._`\ | | | ools like me
    > > (before | | | | |__ |`._) | | | | ntless of
    > > their pr | |_| |____| \.__.' |_| | distro.
    > > | ___ __ _ _ _____ __ __ _ |
    > > Admitedl | / __| / \ | \ | ||_ _|| `\ / \ | | | was, but I'm
    > > STILL PI || | | |\ || \' | | | | |\ || |\ || | |
    > > || | | || || | | | | |/ /| || || | |
    > > RL || \__ | -- || |\ | | | | |\ \| `' || |_ |

    > | \___) \__/ |_| \_| |_| |_| \_\\__/ |___||
    > Linux is l | o o | acation
    > movies. | \ / |
    > "If you th +-----------\---/---------====--------------|
    > ,-'``' . | |
    > In all fairness howe ' `. | | a long way in 10 years.
    > You might want to g / _ _ ._ \| |
    > ; (()(() \ | |
    > | / ' | |
    > ' '-- ; | |
    > \ `. , / .___.
    > '. `.- .'|(_ )
    > `'--''`_; (__ /
    > _.-'`_/ .--.`.\
    > .-'_____/_/ _)\`\
    > .-. (___....----.___) | |
    > . | .-. ( / | |-' /
    > | ; / -.\( `'| | |--'`
    > | . / / \(`'-; | | _
    > | | / / (`'-'\ | |_ / `
    > ; ' / .-(`--'\ '==' `\ / \
    > \ / / -'\_/ )\ | .'.'| .
    > .-. `-' / / / /.-\ ,_/.-' / | |
    > | ' / / ( '. `-`-.___.-` | |
    > ; \ / / `'.`. / ;
    > \ \ ,' ' `'.`. .-' ,'
    > \ ` .' ,7 ) `'--'
    > '. / ____ / /
    > `-' ( ` /
    > `'-----'

  14. Re: Consumers reject low quality OSS alternatives. Seem to be very happy with quality name brand products.

    On Oct 22, 8:33 pm, Jan Kandziora wrote:
    > Dan D. Lyons schrieb:
    >
    > > Consumers seem to be very happy (not angry) with products from Apple,
    > > Microsoft and Tivo.

    > TiVo has Linux and various other GPLed tools under the hood. I bet you
    > didn't know.
    >
    > Kind regards
    >
    > Jan

    Who knows?
    Who cares?
    Nobody.......
    I'm sure parts of my American made Chevy are made in the far east.
    Do I care?
    Nope.
    I turn the key and it starts.
    That's the problem with you Linux kooks, you get all tied up on
    details without looking at the entire picture.

    Example: The iPhone doesn't run open source software so it must suck.

    Yea well that's the opinion of a few radical, crazy linux zealots and
    fails to explain the humongous sales figures for the iPhone.
    And the converse of that is some dead end Nokia phone that runs Open
    Source software.
    Who cares?
    Is anyone buying this phone because it runs open source software.
    Doubtful, but they can't keep the iPhone on the shelves.

    So once again, you Linux kooks miss the point.

  15. Re: Consumers reject low quality OSS alternatives. Seem to be very happy with quality name brand products.

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Dan D. Lyons belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > Yup - everybody is running away from closed propreitary hardware and
    > software. As witnessed by what Apple did in the past 3 months.
    >
    > Funny how Apple sold more iPods and iPhones in the past 3 months than all of
    > these crappy OSS gadgets combined have ever sold. People want name brand
    > quality. It's only the COLA bozo's only care about cheap or free.

    Funny how Macs use OSS (BSD) under the hood, though, isn't it?

    --
    Open mouth, insert foot.

  16. Re: Consumers reject low quality OSS alternatives. Seem to be very happy with quality name brand products.

    > ____/ Dan D. Lyons on Monday 22 October 2007 21:52 : \____

    > *plonk*
    >
    > Probably a forger anyway.

    Bunch of sock puppets and forgers.

    --
    Tux rox!

  17. Re: Consumers reject low quality OSS alternatives. Seem to be very happy with quality name brand products.

    After takin' a swig o' grog, raylopez99 belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > On Oct 22, 1:42 pm, shanejoel wrote:
    >> I dont care about cheap or free, i care about quality, security, and
    >> stability. Why so angry?

    > Why ANGRY dirtball? Because COLA fools like you sucker fools like me
    > (before I wised up) to try Linux, and they then spend countless of
    > their precious weekends just trying to INSTALL the f*ing distro.
    >
    > Admitedly, this was 10 years ago with RedHat 5 I think it was, but I'm
    > STILL PISSED OFF. NEVER AGAIN. NEVER.

    12 years ago I tried Windows NT 3.5.
    STILL PISSED OFF. NEVER AGAIN. NEVER.

    My god, that was horribly ****!

    Still is.

    256 Mb to run almost no end-user software on Windows XP SP2.

    Incredble bloatware.

    --
    Tux rox!

  18. Re: Consumers reject low quality OSS alternatives. Seem to be very happy with quality name brand products.

    ____/ Linonut on Tuesday 23 October 2007 12:18 : \____

    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Dan D. Lyons belched out this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> Yup - everybody is running away from closed propreitary hardware and
    >> software. As witnessed by what Apple did in the past 3 months.
    >>
    >> Funny how Apple sold more iPods and iPhones in the past 3 months than all of
    >> these crappy OSS gadgets combined have ever sold. People want name brand
    >> quality. It's only the COLA bozo's only care about cheap or free.

    > Funny how Macs use OSS (BSD) under the hood, though, isn't it?

    Same with Windows.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Never awaking askew, no matter what they ask you

  19. Re: Consumers reject low quality OSS alternatives. Seem to be very happy with quality name brand products.

    On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 02:59:15 -0700, raylopez99 wrote:

    > For future reference, I'd like to know if this Mandrake distro works
    > without having to register or pay, since it's a stand alone system

    Yes, though of course you won't get updates, etc, or be able to access
    extra repositories. But yes, of course it will work. Why should you
    imagine it won't? The software is all there, fully functional.

    > with no internet access. Also I'll have to upgrade the HD on the old
    > standalone Pentium II system from the present 2GB to a 40 GB HD.

    It won't be fast, but it should run okay, especially if you avoid KDE or
    Gnome (fluxbox is a good alternative, or icewm, if fluxbox is too strange
    for you), And by the way, the distro is called Mandriva, not Mandrake,
    these days.

    --
    Kier

  20. Re: Consumers reject low quality OSS alternatives. Seem to be very happy with quality name brand products.

    On Oct 27, 3:48 am, Kier wrote:.

    > It won't be fast, but it should run okay, especially if you avoid KDE or
    > Gnome (fluxbox is a good alternative, or icewm, if fluxbox is too strange
    > for you), And by the way, the distro is called Mandriva, not Mandrake,
    > these days.

    Interesting--that KDE or Gnome is more resource hungry and that a
    Pentium II won't cut it--I'll try and keep that in mind.

    For fun I'll probably load this distro in the next few months and see
    what happens, since this system is trash anyway, and if I mess it up
    no big loss.

    Thanks for the advice.

    RL

+ Reply to Thread