Consumers reject low quality OSS alternatives. Seem to be very happy with quality name brand products. - Linux

This is a discussion on Consumers reject low quality OSS alternatives. Seem to be very happy with quality name brand products. - Linux ; On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 07:26:50 -0700, raylopez99 wrote: > For fun I'll probably load this distro in the next few months and see > what happens, since this system is trash anyway, and if I mess it up no ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 33 of 33

  1. Re: Consumers reject low quality OSS alternatives. Seem to be veryhappy with quality name brand products.

    On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 07:26:50 -0700, raylopez99 wrote:

    > For fun I'll probably load this distro in the next few months and see
    > what happens, since this system is trash anyway, and if I mess it up no
    > big loss.

    Good grief Charlie Brown, download a live CD -- a few hours max, no
    install required.

    -Thufir

  2. Re: Consumers reject low quality OSS alternatives. Seem to be very happy with quality name brand products.

    On Oct 28, 12:41 am, Thufir wrote:
    > On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 07:26:50 -0700, raylopez99 wrote:
    > > For fun I'll probably load this distro in the next few months and see
    > > what happens, since this system is trash anyway, and if I mess it up no
    > > big loss.

    > Good grief Charlie Brown, download a live CD -- a few hours max, no
    > install required.
    >
    > -Thufir

    Which distro do you recommend for an old system? I assume you like
    "Mandriva", the subject of this thread?

    RL

  3. Re: Consumers reject low quality OSS alternatives. Seem to be very happy with quality name brand products.

    raylopez99 did eloquently scribble:
    > On Oct 28, 12:41 am, Thufir wrote:
    >> On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 07:26:50 -0700, raylopez99 wrote:
    >> > For fun I'll probably load this distro in the next few months and see
    >> > what happens, since this system is trash anyway, and if I mess it up no
    >> > big loss.

    >> Good grief Charlie Brown, download a live CD -- a few hours max, no
    >> install required.
    >>
    >> -Thufir

    > Which distro do you recommend for an old system? I assume you like
    > "Mandriva", the subject of this thread?

    Stop helping the moron.
    He insults people he's asking for help IN the same ARTICLE he's asking for
    help in.

    That means he's not worthy of help. He doesn't even WANT help, all he wants
    is to waste the goodwill of the people WILLING to.

    > RL

    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  4. Re: Consumers reject low quality OSS alternatives. Seem to be very happy with quality name brand products.

    You're such a drama queen. Or just a queen. For all that you could
    have in one word recommended a distro. Not that I would trust you as
    far as I can throw you.

    RL

    On Oct 28, 5:35 am, spi...@freenet.co.uk wrote:
    > Stop helping the moron.
    > He insults people he's asking for help IN the same ARTICLE he's asking for
    > help in.
    >
    > That means he's not worthy of help. He doesn't even WANT help, all he wants
    > is to waste the goodwill of the people WILLING to.
    >
    > > RL

  5. Re: Consumers reject low quality OSS alternatives. Seem to be very happy with quality name brand products.

    On Oct 28, 12:15 pm, spi...@freenet.co.uk wrote:
    > raylopez99 did eloquently scribble:

    > For all that you could
    >
    > > have in one word recommended a distro.

    > I did recommend a distro.
    > I offered a heck of a lot more advice than that over the past week.
    > You chose to ignore all that and instead resorted to bile spewing.

    Well, what was the distro you recommended, little man?

    RL

  6. Re: Consumers reject low quality OSS alternatives. Seem to be very happy with quality name brand products.

    raylopez99 did eloquently scribble:
    > On Oct 28, 12:15 pm, spi...@freenet.co.uk wrote:
    >> raylopez99 did eloquently scribble:

    >> For all that you could
    >>
    >> > have in one word recommended a distro.

    >> I did recommend a distro.
    >> I offered a heck of a lot more advice than that over the past week.
    >> You chose to ignore all that and instead resorted to bile spewing.

    > Well, what was the distro you recommended, little man?

    Find out for yourself.
    I'm sure your expertise in googling could come up with my response to your
    question.
    |Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)| |

  7. Re: Consumers reject low quality OSS alternatives. Seem to be very happy with quality name brand products.

    raylopez99 wrote:

    > On Oct 28, 12:15 pm, spi...@freenet.co.uk wrote:
    >> raylopez99 did eloquently scribble:

    >> For all that you could
    >>
    >> > have in one word recommended a distro.

    >> I did recommend a distro.
    >> I offered a heck of a lot more advice than that over the past week.
    >> You chose to ignore all that and instead resorted to bile spewing.

    > Well, what was the distro you recommended, little man?

    http://groups.google.com/

    Learn to be polite and people will help you.

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  8. Re: Consumers reject low quality OSS alternatives. Seem to be very happy with quality name brand products.

    On Oct 28, 3:09 pm, Gregory Shearman wrote:

    > Learn to be polite and people will help you.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Gregory.
    > Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

    Well, Genpoo lover, I did download Mandarinix or whatever it's called,
    and it fit on one CD. But based on what I can tell, it's probably not
    a standalone distro, since most Linux distros seem to have become
    bloatware, aping their richer Microsoft cousins, and take 6 CDs or a
    DVD to fit on. So probably I've downloaded crippleware, but since I'm
    planning to trash this old obsolete system anyway, it's no big loss.

    Again, Linux is hobbyware, the whole purpose of Linux is to load it
    onto a system and then to say "look, it's almost as good as WIndows!"
    and marvel, before using a real machine (XP, Vista) to do real work.
    Pace Apache, which I admit (for now) is a leader for that particular
    application.

    Bye

    RL

  9. Re: Consumers reject low quality OSS alternatives. Seem to be very happy with quality name brand products.

    raylopez99 wrote:

    > On Oct 28, 3:09 pm, Gregory Shearman wrote:
    >>
    >> Learn to be polite and people will help you.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Gregory.
    >> Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

    > Well, Genpoo lover, I did download Mandarinix or whatever it's called,
    > and it fit on one CD. But based on what I can tell, it's probably not
    > a standalone distro, since most Linux distros seem to have become
    > bloatware, aping their richer Microsoft cousins, and take 6 CDs or a
    > DVD to fit on. So probably I've downloaded crippleware, but since I'm
    > planning to trash this old obsolete system anyway, it's no big loss.

    You simply can't help yourself.

    Gentoo is not bloated. You can build it as big or as small as you like.
    If it fits on one CD then it probably only has a base install, getting the
    rest of its stuff from the net, like any good distro should. CDs and DVDs
    go out of date fast.

    > Again, Linux is hobbyware, the whole purpose of Linux is to load it
    > onto a system and then to say "look, it's almost as good as WIndows!"
    > and marvel, before using a real machine (XP, Vista) to do real work.
    > Pace Apache, which I admit (for now) is a leader for that particular
    > application.

    How would you know? You don't seem to be smart enough even to get the
    simplest distro installed

    I suggest you go away and stop bothering people here.

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  10. Re: Consumers reject low quality OSS alternatives. Seem to be very happy with quality name brand products.

    On Oct 29, 9:18 pm, Gregory Shearman wrote:

    > Gentoo is not bloated. You can build it as big or as small as you like.
    > If it fits on one CD then it probably only has a base install, getting the
    > rest of its stuff from the net, like any good distro should. CDs and DVDs
    > go out of date fast.

    Then tell me Poo what files will fit on one CD that will make Genpoo
    functional? Do I need to ask people like you to tell me before I can
    install Genpoo? If so, that's a real obsticle to installation, since
    to be frank I rather not speak to you again, starting with this
    thread.

    goodbye

    RL

  11. Re: Consumers reject low quality OSS alternatives. Seem to be very happy with quality name brand products.

    Gregory Shearman wrote:

    > raylopez99 wrote:
    >
    >> On Oct 28, 3:09 pm, Gregory Shearman wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Learn to be polite and people will help you.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Regards,
    >>>
    >>> Gregory.
    >>> Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

    >> Well, Genpoo lover, I did download Mandarinix or whatever it's called,
    >> and it fit on one CD. But based on what I can tell, it's probably not
    >> a standalone distro, since most Linux distros seem to have become
    >> bloatware, aping their richer Microsoft cousins, and take 6 CDs or a
    >> DVD to fit on. So probably I've downloaded crippleware, but since I'm
    >> planning to trash this old obsolete system anyway, it's no big loss.

    > You simply can't help yourself.

    WTF did you expect from the wintroll?

    > Gentoo is not bloated. You can build it as big or as small as you like.
    > If it fits on one CD then it probably only has a base install, getting the
    > rest of its stuff from the net, like any good distro should. CDs and DVDs
    > go out of date fast.
    >
    >> Again, Linux is hobbyware, the whole purpose of Linux is to load it
    >> onto a system and then to say "look, it's almost as good as WIndows!"
    >> and marvel, before using a real machine (XP, Vista) to do real work.
    >> Pace Apache, which I admit (for now) is a leader for that particular
    >> application.

    > How would you know? You don't seem to be smart enough even to get the
    > simplest distro installed

    Just goes to show how incompetent these wintrolls really are.

    > I suggest you go away and stop bothering people here.

    Well he certainly wouldn't be missed....except possibly by those who want to
    argue with the idiot

    --
    Operating systems: FreeBSD 6.2, PC-BSD 1.4,
    Testing: FreeBSD 7.0-BETA1.5

  12. Re: Consumers reject low quality OSS alternatives. Seem to be very happy with quality name brand products.

    On 2007-10-23, big.momma.thornton@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Oct 22, 8:33 pm, Jan Kandziora wrote:
    >> Dan D. Lyons schrieb:
    >>
    >> > Consumers seem to be very happy (not angry) with products from Apple,
    >> > Microsoft and Tivo.

    >> TiVo has Linux and various other GPLed tools under the hood. I bet you
    >> didn't know.
    >>
    >> Kind regards
    >>
    >> Jan

    > Who knows?
    > Who cares?
    > Nobody.......

    ...anyone that cares about getting to see Heroes like they were expecting.

    > I'm sure parts of my American made Chevy are made in the far east.
    > Do I care?
    > Nope.

    I'll keep that in mind as I see you disabled by the side of the road.

    > I turn the key and it starts.

    A Chevy? Puleeeze.

    They are the ultimate anti-quality car.

    [deletia]

    People buy 10 and 20 year old versions of real cars to avoid the
    torment of dealing with Chevy crap.

    --
    OpenDoc is moot when Apple is your one stop iShop. |||
    / | \

    http://www.usenet.com

  13. Re: Consumers reject low quality OSS alternatives. Seem to be very happy with quality name brand products.

    On 2007-10-22, raylopez99 wrote:
    > On Oct 22, 1:42 pm, shanejoel wrote:
    >> I dont care about cheap or free, i care about quality, security, and
    >> stability. Why so angry?

    > Why ANGRY dirtball? Because COLA fools like you sucker fools like me
    > (before I wised up) to try Linux, and they then spend countless of
    > their precious weekends just trying to INSTALL the f*ing distro.

    You want to try and install a new OS and you think it won't
    be a time sink? What kind of idiot are you? Just figuring out how
    to reinstall your own current OS will be a chore if it's something
    you've never done before.

    BTW, "attempting to install Linux" just to try is so 90s.

    > Admitedly, this was 10 years ago with RedHat 5 I think it was, but I'm
    > STILL PISSED OFF. NEVER AGAIN. NEVER.

    Yawn. Want pissed off in 98?

    Try BeOS, Solaris x86, NextStep, SCO or even OS/2.

    The 9x variants weren't exactly pretty either.

    Then there was the whole problem of NT being the ugly redheaded stepchild.

    ...kinda reminds me of why I ended up using Linux.