[News] Linux: Game on! - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Linux: Game on! - Linux ; Linux frag-fest: the games Linux plays ,----[ Quote ] | You know Linux will handle all your web browsing needs, your e-mail, your | office apps. But when it comes to gaming, what do you do? If you’re a | ...

  1. [News] Linux: Game on!

    Linux frag-fest: the games Linux plays

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | You know Linux will handle all your web browsing needs, your e-mail, your
    | office apps. But when it comes to gaming, what do you do? If you’re a
    | hard-core gamer are you stuck in a Windows world, or the netherworld of
    | dual-booting? Fear not: Linux can play hard and here’s how to get going.
    `----

    Related:

    Does WINE + Linux support more Windows apps than Vista?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | WINE supports most of the applications which are made for Windows
    | 2.0 up to Windows XP. WINE has the ability to run different versions
    | of IE, run most of Adobe's products, run World of Warcraft, Half Life
    | 2, Microsoft Office 2003, XP, 2000 and 97, Visio, Quicken,
    |
    | * Command & Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars
    | * Need for Speed Carbon
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | What about drivers, hardware support, and upgrades?
    |
    | Want to upgrade you XP to Vista? no chance. might as well do a fresh
    | install and shell out $300.
    `----

    http://jagtalon.wordpress.com/2007/0...ps-than-vista/

    Vista breaks 90% of games, claims game publisher

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Alex St. John, chief executive of game publisher WildTangent, today
    | blasted his former employer for a half-baked and negligent way of
    | treating the majority of game publishers - small development studios
    | and individual programmers of casual games: St. John claims that at
    | least nine out of ten games do not work with Vista.
    `----

    http://tomshardware.co.uk/2007/01/30/vista_games/

  2. Re: Linux: Game off..Wine? Are you joking?

    You must be getting desperate when you mention Linux and gaming in the
    same sentence.
    As far as Wine is concerned, it's a bad joke.
    In the first place the database of what works is way over the top and
    highly biased toward showing the program
    can 'run'.
    Well loading and getting a program to run is a far cry from playing a
    game, using an office suite etc and having ALL OF HE FUNCTIONS WORK
    EXACTLY LIKE THEY DO WITH WINDOWS.

    People who have used wine know there is no such animal and even
    crossover office has it's problems.

    Wine is for drunks or for people stupid enough to believe Linux can
    actually compete with Windows for gaming.

    Pacman anyone?

    On Oct 22, 12:25 pm, Roy Schestowitz
    wrote:
    > Linux frag-fest: the games Linux plays
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | You know Linux will handle all your web browsing needs, your e-mail, your
    > | office apps. But when it comes to gaming, what do you do? If you're a
    > | hard-core gamer are you stuck in a Windows world, or the netherworld of
    > | dual-booting? Fear not: Linux can play hard and here's how to get going.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/14959/1054/
    >
    > Related:
    >
    > Does WINE + Linux support more Windows apps than Vista?
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | WINE supports most of the applications which are made for Windows
    > | 2.0 up to Windows XP. WINE has the ability to run different versions
    > | of IE, run most of Adobe's products, run World of Warcraft, Half Life
    > | 2, Microsoft Office 2003, XP, 2000 and 97, Visio, Quicken,
    > |
    > | * Command & Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars
    > | * Need for Speed Carbon
    > |
    > | [...]
    > |
    > | What about drivers, hardware support, and upgrades?
    > |
    > | Want to upgrade you XP to Vista? no chance. might as well do a fresh
    > | install and shell out $300.
    > `----
    >
    > http://jagtalon.wordpress.com/2007/0...x-support-more...
    >
    > Vista breaks 90% of games, claims game publisher
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Alex St. John, chief executive of game publisher WildTangent, today
    > | blasted his former employer for a half-baked and negligent way of
    > | treating the majority of game publishers - small development studios
    > | and individual programmers of casual games: St. John claims that at
    > | least nine out of ten games do not work with Vista.
    > `----
    >
    > http://tomshardware.co.uk/2007/01/30/vista_games/

  3. Re: Linux: Game off..Wine? Are you joking?

    Micoshaft Asstroturfer big.momma.thornton@gmail.com wrote on behalf of
    Micoshaft Corporation:

    > You must be getting desperate when you mention Linux and gaming in the
    > same sentence.
    > As far as Wine is concerned, it's a bad joke.

    Its a joke thats got micoshaft corporation your sponsor very worried.

    It looks like its Micoshaft and their asstrotufers that are desperate
    for a bit of good software.

    Look here...
    http://www.livecdlist.com
    http://www.distrowatch.com

  4. Re: Linux: Game off..Wine? Are you joking?

    ____/ big.momma.thornton@gmail.com on Monday 22 October 2007 22:29 : \____

    > bad joke

    You skirt is getting tight again, Gary "Big Momma" Stewart.

    *plonk*

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "Turn up the jukebox and tell me a lie"
    02:05:02 up 6 days, 10:50, 3 users, load average: 1.95, 2.50, 2.03