Comcast caught blocking BitTorrent traffic

,----[ Quote ]
| Several Linux distributions including Ubuntu, for instance, rely on the
| network to dispense their software. In the Associated Press test, the agency
| attempted to share and download a copy of the King James Bible, which is in
| the public domain.
`----

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/22...aught-blocking

And then there's [H]omer's big, which is worth repeating to show the corruption
involved.

Exclusive: I Was a Hacker for the MPAA

,----[ Quote ]
| Promises of Hollywood fame and fortune persuaded a young hacker to betray
| former associates in the BitTorrent scene to Tinseltown's anti-piracy lobby,
| according to the hacker.
`----

http://www.wired.com/politics/online.../10/p2p_hacker

Remedies (because not all traffic is copyrighted content):

How To Bypass Comcast’s BitTorrent Throttling

,----[ Quote ]
| Comcast is using an application from the broadband management company
| Sandvine to throttle BitTorrent traffic. It breaks every (seed) connection
| with new peers after a few seconds if it’s not a Comcast user inside your
| community boundary.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/how-to-bypas...ttling-071021/

Tectonic to the rescue in SA:

Calling suppliers of Linux distro discs

,----[ Quote ]
| With our limitations on Internet connectivity in South Africa, even though
| Linux distributions are available as a free download, their size (4.2GB for
| Ubuntu 7.10) can be restrictive to those of use caught in the grip of
| Telkom's bandwidth choke-hold. For this reason Tectonic is compiling a
| directory of places and people offering copies of Linux distributions on CD
| or DVD.
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?id=1832

The absurdities:

Inside the Mind of a 9 Year Old File-Sharer

,----[ Quote ]
| TorrentFreak makes itself feel old trying to keep up with the agile mind of a
| 9 year old file-sharer.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/inside-the-m...sharer-071021/

Related:

Is Comcast's BitTorrent filtering violating the law?

,----[ Quote ]
| Assuming that the SYN packet goes through, the three-way handshake is allowed
| to happen, then the two hosts will be able to begin communicating. Your ISP
| can still kill the connection later, should they wish to, merely by blocking
| the transmission of future packets. *
|
| According to Torrent Freak, Comcast is not doing this. They are instead
| sending a reset (or RST) packet to the Comcast customer, pretending to be
| from the host at the end of the BitTorrent connection. *
`----

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13739_1-9769645-46.html

Comcast Cuts Off Heavy Internet Users

,----[ Quote ]
| Customers complain bandwidth limits are secret.
`----

http://consumeraffairs.com/news04/20...ban.html?imw=Y

Torrentspy Disables Searching For US IPs

| Torrent indexing site Torrentspy.com appears to have disabled torrent
| searches for IPs that originate in the United States.
`----

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=0...41244&from=rss

Comcast Throttles BitTorrent Traffic, Seeding Impossible

,----[ Quote ]
| Over the past weeks more and more Comcast users started to notice that their
| BitTorrent transfers were cut off. Most users report a significant decrease
| in download speeds, and even worse, they are unable to seed their downloads.
| A nightmare for people who want to keep up a positive ratio at private
| trackers and for the speed of BitTorrent transfers in general.
|
| [...]
|
| Last year we had a discussion whether traffic shaping is good or bad, and
| ISPs made it pretty clear that they do not like P2P applications like
| BitTorrent. One of the ISPs that joined our discussions said: “The fact is,
| P2P is (from my point of view) a plague - a cancer, that will consume all the
| bandwidth that I can provide. It’s an insatiable appetite.”, and another one
| stated: “P2P applications can cripple a network, they’re like leaches. Just
| because you pay 49.99 for a 1.5-3.0mbps connection doesn’t mean your entitled
| to use whatever protocols you wish on your ISP’s network without them
| provisioning it to make the network experience good for all users involved.”
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/comcast-thro...ng-impossible/

Music industry attacks Sunday newspaper's free Prince CD

..----
| The eagerly awaited new album by Prince is being launched as a free
| CD with a national Sunday newspaper in a move that has drawn
| widespread criticism from music retailers.
`----

http://business.guardian.co.uk/story/0,,2114557,00.html

Defendant: RIAA abusing courts to shore up "failing business model"

,----[ Quote ]
| After the lawsuit was filed, Njuguna said she boxed up the PC reportedly used
| for infringement and purchased a new one. She then filed a series of
| counterclaims to the RIAA's lawsuit in an attempt to have the lawsuit
| dismissed and her name cleared. One of those accuses the record labels of
| failing to negotiate in good faith.
|
| [...]
|
| Njugana also accuses the RIAA of engaging in deceptive and unfair trade
| practices, arguing that the record labels have demonstrated repeated behavior
| that has an "adverse effect on the public interest." She also cites former
| RIAA defendant Tanya Andersen's lawsuit (which seeks class-action status) as
| evidence that, unless the courts step in at some point, the RIAA will
| continue its campaign.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...ess-model.html

The RIAA will come to regret its court win

,----[ Quote ]
| And, he told his blog readers: "If [the industry tries to] keep up the
| strategy of 'you need us badly and therefore we make the rules' you will lose
| the artists, their managers... and the audience. Another 12 months for this
| Radiohead experiment to become the default approach. Get engaged or get
| outmoded. And do it soon."
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10..._riaa_comment/

Mom Sues Universal Music for DMCA Abuse