CICT to computerize 320 public high schools

,----[ Quote ]
| The PCs are loaded with several open-source tools including EdUbuntu (a
| version of Ubuntu designed for schools), OpenOffice, Apache, MySQL and
| Mozilla Firefox, among others.
`----

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/breakin...ticle_id=95414

Related:

Russian government to finance Linux version for schools

,----[ Quote ]
| Russian Ministry of Finance approved RUR 3 bln financing from state budget
| for software on school computers.
`----

http://webplanet.ru/english/2007/07/...n_soft_en.html

Russian Government Will Migrate to OpenSource

,----[ Quote ]
| Russia decided to follow after EU countries, where opensource
| solutions are more spread then in Russia. Currently, some Russian
| companies can offer their own Desktop Linux OS (the major companies
| are ASPLinux, ALTLinux, Linux-Online and LinuxCenter).
`----

http://danays.blogspot.com/2006/12/r...igrate-to.html

Russian Linux (ALTLinux) to be installed in every school in Russia

,----[ Quote ]
| Russian OS is to be installed on every school computer in Russia by 2009.
| Furthermore, every pupil will get the opportunity to operate the applied
| software produced in Russia, Leonid Reiman, acting Minister of Communication
| stated at a press conference. According to Mr. Reiman, that might
| significantly reduce Russian dependence on foreign software.
`----

http://eng.cnews.ru/news/top/indexEn...%2F14%2F266177

Russian schools abandon Windows after piracy scare

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft says that the incident has nothing to do with them, but it
| appears that Russian schools in the area are so scared about being shipped
| off to a Siberian Gulag, that they are buying Linux gear instead.
|
| [..]
|
| According to Karpushin, schools would start using freely distributed
| software like the Linux OS, Russky office and Open office desktop apps,
| Ekho Moskvi reports.
`----

Linux Education in America: Inspiration from Russia?

,----[ Quote ]
`----