Report shows linux desktop use - far less than 1% - Linux

This is a discussion on Report shows linux desktop use - far less than 1% - Linux ; http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/20071017/...itLafU9IUjtBAF While Linux is well established in the data center and as an embedded OS in devices, it has never gained much traction on the desktop. Even Apple's 5 percent share of the desktop is miles beyond Linux adoption, which ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

  1. Report shows linux desktop use - far less than 1%

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/20071017/...itLafU9IUjtBAF

    While Linux is well established in the data center and as an embedded OS in
    devices, it has never gained much traction on the desktop. Even Apple's 5
    percent share of the desktop is miles beyond Linux adoption, which Net
    Applications ranks at less than 1 percent.

  2. Re: Report shows linux desktop use - far less than 1%

    Sue Romer wrote:

    >(snip)

    *plonk*

  3. Re: Report shows linux desktop use - far less than 1%

    Sue Romer wrote:

    > http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/20071017/...itLafU9IUjtBAF
    >
    > While Linux is well established in the data center and as an embedded OS in
    > devices, it has never gained much traction on the desktop. Even Apple's 5
    > percent share of the desktop is miles beyond Linux adoption, which Net
    > Applications ranks at less than 1 percent.

    In other news: Porsche Carrera GT market share still lags that of the
    Ford Pinto.

    --
    Paul Hovnanian paul@hovnanian.com
    Procrastinators: The leaders for tomorrow.

  4. Re: Report shows linux desktop use - far less than 1%

    In article <471CEAE5.2F78F25A@seanet.com>, paulh@seanet.com says...
    > Sue Romer wrote:
    > >
    > > http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/20071017/...itLafU9IUjtBAF
    > >
    > > While Linux is well established in the data center and as an embedded OS in
    > > devices, it has never gained much traction on the desktop. Even Apple's 5
    > > percent share of the desktop is miles beyond Linux adoption, which Net
    > > Applications ranks at less than 1 percent.

    > In other news: Porsche Carrera GT market share still lags that of the
    > Ford Pinto.

    ....despite the fact that new Porsche Carrera GTs are available free at
    all Porsche dealers. Or is there a possible flaw in your analogy?
    --
    "There are 10 kinds of people in the world:
    those that understand binary and those that don't." - Unknown

  5. Re: Report shows linux desktop use - far less than 1%

    "Paul Hovnanian P.E." wrote in message
    > Sue Romer wrote:
    >>
    >> http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/20071017/...itLafU9IUjtBAF
    >>
    >> While Linux is well established in the data center and as an embedded OS
    >> in
    >> devices, it has never gained much traction on the desktop. Even Apple's 5
    >> percent share of the desktop is miles beyond Linux adoption, which Net
    >> Applications ranks at less than 1 percent.

    > In other news: Porsche Carrera GT market share still lags that of the
    > Ford Pinto.

    You seem to have a limited repetoire. Pintos have been discontinued for
    some 25 to 30 years now, IIRC.

    Triteness seems to be the mark of OSS.

  6. Re: Report shows linux desktop use - far less than 1%

    "Paul Hovnanian P.E." wrote in message
    > Sue Romer wrote:
    >>
    >> http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/20071017/...itLafU9IUjtBAF
    >>
    >> While Linux is well established in the data center and as an embedded OS
    >> in
    >> devices, it has never gained much traction on the desktop. Even Apple's 5
    >> percent share of the desktop is miles beyond Linux adoption, which Net
    >> Applications ranks at less than 1 percent.

    > In other news: Porsche Carrera GT market share still lags that of the
    > Ford Pinto.

    If any car was 100% free then it would have nearly 100% market share no
    matter how aggressive Toyota was.

    If any beer was 100% free then it would have nearly 100% market share no
    matter how aggressive Budweiser was.

    If any game console was 100% free then it would have nearly 100% market
    share no matter how aggressive MS pushed the XBox.

    If any brand of gasoline was 100% free then it would have nearly 100% market
    share no matter how aggressive Exxon marketed their product.

    If any brand of toothpaste was 100% free then it would have nearly 100%
    market share no matter how aggressive Crest marketed their product.

    The only way this wouldn't be true is if the 'free car' exploded randomly or
    if the 'free beer' tasted like dog piss or if the 'free gas' destroyed your
    engine or if the 'free toothpaste' destroyed your teeth. In other words, the
    'free product' would have to be a total piece of crap not to take over the
    market from a more expensive one.

    Yet after 10 years of being 100% free and Windows being claimed as being so
    very expensive most everybody uses Windows and nobody uses linux. Says a lot
    about what average people think about linux don't it? They would rather pay
    hundreds of $$$ than use something that is available in abundance for free.

  7. Re: Report shows linux desktop use - far less than 1%

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Dan D. Lyons

    wrote
    on Mon, 22 Oct 2007 16:19:32 -0400
    <471cf9ec$0$26428$88260bb3@free.teranews.com>:

    > "Paul Hovnanian P.E." wrote in message
    >> Sue Romer wrote:
    >>>
    >>> http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/20071017/...itLafU9IUjtBAF
    >>>
    >>> While Linux is well established in the data center
    >>> and as an embedded OS in devices, it has never gained
    >>> much traction on the desktop. Even Apple's 5 percent share
    >>> of the desktop is miles beyond Linux adoption, which Net
    >>> Applications ranks at less than 1 percent.

    >> In other news: Porsche Carrera GT market share still lags
    >> that of the Ford Pinto.

    [snip for brevity]

    > Yet after 10 years of being 100% free and Windows being
    > claimed as being so very expensive most everybody uses
    > Windows and nobody uses linux. Says a lot about what
    > average people think about linux don't it? They would
    > rather pay hundreds of $$$ than use something that is
    > available in abundance for free.

    [1] $50 or so, depending on OEM licensing prices.
    I'd frankly have to delve deep.

    [2] That cost is not published in OEM sales quotes,
    though one might see deltas between Windows Vista
    Basic and Winows Vista Ultimate in such places
    as Dell's configuration window. (Since Dell
    does not put Linux distros in that same window,
    one cannot get an accurate fix.)

    [2] People like Windows; it works for them. It doesn't
    work as well as it could, but it does work.

    [3] Windows is the default solution on the x86 desktop, both
    because of its monopoly and because of its high
    visibility. Linux tends not to crash; kernel panics,
    freezes, and other such are rare (though not unknown).
    Windows, by contrast, malfunctions rather too often,
    showing its trademark "stop screen" (aka BSOD) in very
    public places. While such is slightly embarrassing
    to Microsoft, presumably, it also shows prospective
    clients that Windows is in use everywhere -- or at
    least everywhere that is visible. Bad press is better
    than no press, especially during a full-court press...

    [4] The x86 desktop is the default solution hardware-wise.
    I'm not sure how much of this is Intel/Windows synergy,
    how much of it is backward-compatibility, how much
    of it is Intel dirty tricks, and how much of it is
    Intel actually being *better* (or at least quicker
    and/or cheaper to market), but it's clear that a vast
    majority of desktops are now x86-based.

    [5] People don't know about Linux, as Linux has no
    marketing budget. It is far from clear that Linux
    ever will, though IBM in particular might push it some
    in order to further sell their z-series hardware.
    Of course Linux does get reasonably good press,
    though one might ask for how long that will continue.
    Microsoft, after all, isn't going to sit back and let
    Linux soak up the limelight for that long, is it?

    [6] Application developers look for the most likely
    solution. That solution, for the most part, is
    Windows, although a fair number will do porting work
    to Linux (e.g., Unreal Tournament 2004, Quake 4).

    [7] Desktops eventually wear out.

    [C] Therefore, Windows Vista wins. It's an unfortunate mess.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Insert random misquote here.

  8. Re: Report shows linux desktop use - far less than 1%

    On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 09:33:40 -0400, Sue Romer wrote:

    > http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/20071017/

    bs_nf/56073;_ylt=Ag8nNmACRlCEbAitLafU9IUjtBAF

    > While Linux is well established in the data center and as an embedded OS
    > in devices, it has never gained much traction on the desktop. Even
    > Apple's 5 percent share of the desktop is miles beyond Linux adoption,
    > which Net Applications ranks at less than 1 percent.

    Does stating this make you feel good?

    --
    Rick

  9. Re: Report shows linux desktop use - far less than 1%

    "Rick" wrote in message
    > On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 09:33:40 -0400, Sue Romer wrote:
    >
    >> http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/20071017/

    > bs_nf/56073;_ylt=Ag8nNmACRlCEbAitLafU9IUjtBAF
    >>

    >> While Linux is well established in the data center and as an embedded OS
    >> in devices, it has never gained much traction on the desktop. Even
    >> Apple's 5 percent share of the desktop is miles beyond Linux adoption,
    >> which Net Applications ranks at less than 1 percent.

    > Does stating this make you feel good?

    Reading it gave me a boner.

  10. Re: Report shows linux desktop use - far less than 1%

    Rick wrote:

    > On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 09:33:40 -0400, Sue Romer wrote:
    >
    >> http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/20071017/

    > bs_nf/56073;_ylt=Ag8nNmACRlCEbAitLafU9IUjtBAF
    >>

    >> While Linux is well established in the data center and as an embedded OS
    >> in devices, it has never gained much traction on the desktop. Even
    >> Apple's 5 percent share of the desktop is miles beyond Linux adoption,
    >> which Net Applications ranks at less than 1 percent.

    > Does stating this make you feel good?

    Funny then that Blammer stated *Linux* was the #1 threat to M$ & *not*
    Apple. Funny too, that the M$ shills & trolls spend their time trying to
    put *Linux* down & NOT Apple.... Go figure.

    --
    Operating systems: FreeBSD 6.2, PC-BSD 1.4,
    Testing: FreeBSD 7.0

  11. Re: Report shows linux desktop use - far less than 1%

    William Poaster wrote:
    > Rick wrote:
    >> Sue Romer AKA 1st Lt Jean Poole, Barb Dwyer, Capt. James
    >> Pike, Capt. Morgan, Captain Commando, Colonel Ichabod Conk,
    >> Cpl. Kronk, Dr Gang Green, Dr. Disco, Dr. Fafoofnik, Dr.
    >> Feelgood, Dr. GroundAxe, Dr. Hungwell, Dr. Hurt, Dr.
    >> Livingston, Dr. McGillicudy, Dr. Pain, Dr. Seymour Butts,
    >> Dr. Shlongwell, Dr. Shlongwell (aka your Boss), Dr. Smooth,
    >> Dr. Zhivago, Gordon Glover, Lintard Luser, Lt. Stardust, Mr.
    >> X, Ms. Polly Ester, Ofc. Michael Clayton, rafael (note the
    >> nym-thief couldn't even leave poor Rafael alone), Randy
    >> Oaks, Sgt. Wannacker, SgtMajor Gansevoort and Sir Michael
    >> Clayton wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/20071017/
    >>> bs_nf/56073;_ylt=Ag8nNmACRlCEbAitLafU9IUjtBAF
    >>>
    >>> While Linux is well established in the data center and as
    >>> an embedded OS in devices, it has never gained much
    >>> traction on the desktop. Even Apple's 5 percent share of
    >>> the desktop is miles beyond Linux adoption, which Net
    >>> Applications ranks at less than 1 percent.

    >> Does stating this make you feel good?

    > Funny then that Blammer stated *Linux* was the #1 threat to M$
    > & *not* Apple. Funny too, that the M$ shills & trolls spend
    > their time trying to put *Linux* down & NOT Apple.... Go
    > figure.

    Perhaps it is because Apple is in their back pocket?

    http://www.windowsitpro.com/Articles...7244.html?Ad=1

    August 19, 1997
    DOJ exploring Microsoft's Apple investment
    Paul Thurrott

    In addition to the investigation reported yesterday in WinInfo,
    the U.S. Department of Justice is also looking into the
    investment Microsoft made in Apple Computer two weeks ago. Though
    Microsoft publicly committed to purchasing $150 million in
    non-voting Apple stock, the company also paid Apple Computer an
    undisclosed sum, thought to be in the hundreds of millions of
    dollars range, to settle possible patent infringements and get a
    cross-licensing deal with the Cupertino company.

    Apple Computer has not yet responded to the DOJ investigation,
    though Microsoft thought enough of it to issue a press release
    yesterday. Officially, Microsoft is unconcerned.
    --
    HPT

  12. Re: Report shows linux desktop use - far less than 1%

    "High Plains Thumper" wrote in message
    > William Poaster wrote:
    >> Rick wrote:

    > [quote]
    > August 19, 1997

    Wow - The troll found an article that's over 10 years old. Linux users -
    we'll give you yesterdays news tomorrow. Kinda like linux and that new "Fast
    user switching" innovation that XP has had for about 6 years now.

  13. Re: Report shows linux desktop use - far less than 1%

    High Plains Thumper wrote:
    > William Poaster wrote:
    >> Rick wrote:
    >>> Sue Romer AKA 1st Lt Jean Poole, Barb Dwyer, Capt. James
    >>> Pike, Capt. Morgan, Captain Commando, Colonel Ichabod
    >>> Conk, Cpl. Kronk, Dr Gang Green, Dr. Disco, Dr. Fafoofnik,
    >>> Dr. Feelgood, Dr. GroundAxe, Dr. Hungwell, Dr. Hurt, Dr.
    >>> Livingston, Dr. McGillicudy, Dr. Pain, Dr. Seymour Butts,
    >>> Dr. Shlongwell, Dr. Shlongwell (aka your Boss), Dr.
    >>> Smooth, Dr. Zhivago, Gordon Glover, Lintard Luser, Lt.
    >>> Stardust, Mr. X, Ms. Polly Ester, Ofc. Michael Clayton,
    >>> rafael (note the nym-thief couldn't even leave poor Rafael
    >>> alone), Randy Oaks, Sgt. Wannacker, SgtMajor Gansevoort

    Oh, I wanted to add:

    http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp

    Web Statistics and Trends

    Statistics are important information. From the statistics below,
    collected from W3Schools' log-files over a period of five years,
    you can extract the long and medium-term trends of operating
    system usage.

    OS Platform Statistics

    Windows XP is the most popular operating system. The windows
    family counts for nearly 90%:

    2007 WinXP W2000 Win98 Vista W2003 Linux Mac
    Sep. 74.3% 5.4% 0.9% 4.5% 2.0% 3.4% 3.8%
    Linux is shown neck and neck with Apple, which is greater than
    the troll's less than 1% it quotes.

    --
    HPT

  14. Re: Report shows linux desktop use - far greater than 1%

    Simon Templar AKA Sue Romer, 1st Lt Jean Poole, Barb Dwyer, Capt.
    James Pike, Capt. Morgan, Captain Commando, Colonel Ichabod Conk,
    Cpl. Kronk, Dr Gang Green, Dr. Disco, Dr. Fafoofnik, Dr.
    Feelgood, Dr. GroundAxe, Dr. Hungwell, Dr. Hurt, Dr. Livingston,
    Dr. McGillicudy, Dr. Pain, Dr. Seymour Butts, Dr. Shlongwell, Dr.
    Shlongwell (aka your Boss), Dr. Smooth, Dr. Zhivago, Gordon
    Glover, Lintard Luser, Lt. Stardust, Mr. X, Ms. Polly Ester, Ofc.
    Michael Clayton, rafael (note the nym-thief couldn't even leave
    poor Rafael alone), Randy Oaks, Sgt. Wannacker, SgtMajor
    Gansevoort and Sir Michael Clayton wrote:
    > "High Plains Thumper" wrote...
    >> William Poaster wrote:
    >>> Rick wrote:

    >> [quote] August 19, 1997

    > Wow - The troll found an article that's over 10 years old.
    > Linux users - we'll give you yesterdays news tomorrow. Kinda
    > like linux and that new "Fast user switching" innovation that
    > XP has had for about 6 years now.

    Except that by GUI, Linux preceded that several years prior to XP
    and since the inception of Linux. I was doing "switch user" on
    Computervision Unix workstations in the mid 1980's. It is odd
    how that over 20 years later, now we have innovation because
    Microsoft decided to add that to XP.

    7.6 Trespasser Disinformation Tactics

    When your tactics are turned on you, call you opponents trolls.
    Do not accept the fact that by calling someone using your tactics
    a troll that makes you the real troll.
    --
    HPT

  15. Re: Report shows linux desktop use - far less than 1%

    "Dan D. Lyons" wrote:

    [snip]

    > Yet after 10 years of being 100% free and Windows being claimed as being so
    > very expensive most everybody uses Windows and nobody uses linux. Says a lot
    > about what average people think about linux don't it? They would rather pay
    > hundreds of $$$ than use something that is available in abundance for free.

    Its not so much a question of cost as it is skill level. I'm willing to
    concede that there is a high learning curve to switch from Windows to
    Linux. Less so now than in the past, but those with very low demands on
    an O/S aren't going to invest the time needed. Even if the cost and
    performance are higher after the switch is made.

    IMO, Linux is growing in exactly the correct markets. Those who need
    higher performance, more reliable systems are more likely to switch,
    leaving the rest behind.

    --
    Paul Hovnanian mailto:Paul@Hovnanian.com
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "nice doggy" while looking for a rock.

  16. Re: Report shows linux desktop use - far less than 1%

    On 2007-10-22, High Plains Thumper wrote:
    > Perhaps it is because Apple is in their back pocket?
    >
    > http://www.windowsitpro.com/Articles...7244.html?Ad=1

    Seven year old article, fails to back your claim (non-voting shares),
    and Microsoft sold those shares a long time ago. Are you trying to do
    an impression of Daeron?

  17. Re: Report shows linux desktop use - far less than 1%

    Tim Smith wrote:
    > High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >
    >> Perhaps it is because Apple is in their back pocket?
    >>
    >> http://www.windowsitpro.com/Articles...7244.html?Ad=1

    > Seven year old article, fails to back your claim (non-voting
    > shares), and Microsoft sold those shares a long time ago. Are
    > you trying to do an impression of Daeron?

    http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/st...8/smallb6.html

    Con: These ancillary arrangements mean that Gates will have a
    significant, albeit nonvoting, role in future Apple directions.
    Con: The agreement between Apple and Microsoft calls for Apple to
    package Internet Explorer with all-new computers made by Apple.
    Netscape has already complained that Microsoft engages in unfair
    competition, so it's almost certain that the DOJ will challenge
    this deal. Obviously, it violates antitrust legislation.
    --
    HPT

  18. Re: Report shows linux desktop use - far less than 1%

    On Oct 22, 7:58 pm, High Plains Thumper
    wrote:
    > High Plains Thumper wrote:
    > > William Poaster wrote:

    > Oh, I wanted to add:
    >
    > http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp
    >

    > Web Statistics and Trends
    >
    > Statistics are important information. From the statistics below,
    > collected from W3Schools' log-files over a period of five years,
    > you can extract the long and medium-term trends of operating
    > system usage.
    >
    > OS Platform Statistics
    >
    > Windows XP is the most popular operating system. The windows
    > family counts for nearly 90%:
    >
    > 2007 WinXP W2000 Win98 Vista W2003 Linux Mac
    > Sep. 74.3% 5.4% 0.9% 4.5% 2.0% 3.4% 3.8%
    >

    > Linux is shown neck and neck with Apple, which is greater than
    > the troll's less than 1% it quotes.

    So those stats are legit now?

  19. Re: Report shows linux desktop use - far less than 1%

    Dan D. Lyons wrote:

    > If any car was 100% free then it would have nearly 100% market share no
    > matter how aggressive Toyota was.

    But windows is free when you purchase a computer.

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  20. Re: Report shows linux desktop use - far less than 1%

    Dan D. Lyons wrote:

    >(snip)

    Don't you know you're stupid?

    *plonk*