Why MS wins and linux (advocacy) loses. - Linux

This is a discussion on Why MS wins and linux (advocacy) loses. - Linux ; In the real world people want to "like" something. It just so happens that the masses "like" Microsoft and they "like" Windows. In the bizzaro world of linux advocacy the "advocates" are trying to get people to "hate" instead of ...

  1. Why MS wins and linux (advocacy) loses.

    In the real world people want to "like" something. It just so happens that
    the masses "like" Microsoft and they "like" Windows.

    In the bizzaro world of linux advocacy the "advocates" are trying to get
    people to "hate" instead of "like." People don't want to hate, they want to
    like.

    So instead of trying to get everyone to "hate" Windows the way you morons
    do, why don't you focus instead on the positive message of getting people to
    "like" linux.

  2. Re: Why MS wins and linux (advocacy) loses.

    On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 10:21:20 -0400, Sue Romer wrote:

    > In the real world people want to "like" something. It just so happens
    > that the masses "like" Microsoft and they "like" Windows.

    No, they don't.

    > In the bizzaro world of linux advocacy the "advocates" are trying to get
    > people to "hate" instead of "like." People don't want to hate, they want
    > to like.

    I like Linux.

    > So instead of trying to get everyone to "hate" Windows the way you
    > morons do, why don't you focus instead on the positive message of
    > getting people to "like" linux.

    I do, in many places.

    --
    Rick

  3. Re: Why MS wins and linux (advocacy) loses.

    "Rick" wrote in message
    > On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 10:21:20 -0400, Sue Romer wrote:
    >
    >> In the real world people want to "like" something. It just so happens
    >> that the masses "like" Microsoft and they "like" Windows.

    > No, they don't.
    >

    >> In the bizzaro world of linux advocacy the "advocates" are trying to get
    >> people to "hate" instead of "like." People don't want to hate, they want
    >> to like.

    > I like Linux.
    >

    >> So instead of trying to get everyone to "hate" Windows the way you
    >> morons do, why don't you focus instead on the positive message of
    >> getting people to "like" linux.

    > I do, in many places.

    Good response. You seem to be the minority. My research has shown that
    people respond much better to a positive message rather than a negative one.
    This is proven in other studies I've done. Take television commercials (or
    newspaper adds, etc) as an example. Take your typical Lexus commercial where
    they focus on how good the car is and the features, luxury and safety of the
    car. They are trying to convince you to buy their car by telling you how
    good their car is.

    What was the last time you saw a Lexus commercial where they spent the
    entire 30-seconds ranting and raving how bad BMW or Mercedes Benz is? There
    is no such commercial because they are smart enough to realize that it would
    have the adverse effect of turning away potential customers.

    Yet here in moon-bat "Linux advocacy land" many people think that it makes
    more sense to talk about anti-Microsoft instead of linux. Hey - Why not get
    tee-shirts that read "You're a idiot if you use Microshaft Windoze instead
    of linux" and walk around the mall. Microsoft will thank you for making
    linux users look like total idiots and for making sure potential prospects
    never even consider linux.

  4. Re: Why MS wins and linux (advocacy) loses.

    On Oct 19, 10:21 am, "Sue Romer" wrote:
    > In the real world people want to "like" something. It just so happens that
    > the masses "like" Microsoft and they "like" Windows.
    >
    > In the bizzaro world of linux advocacy the "advocates" are trying to get
    > people to "hate" instead of "like." People don't want to hate, they want to
    > like.
    >
    > So instead of trying to get everyone to "hate" Windows the way you morons
    > do, why don't you focus instead on the positive message of getting people to
    > "like" linux.
    >
    > --

    The people in comp.os.linux.advocacy are not advocates.
    They are self serving pompous arses.
    Labeling them as Linux advocates is not only a misnomer it's an insult
    to the real Linux advocates.

  5. Re: Why MS wins and linux (advocacy) loses.

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Rick

    wrote
    on Mon, 22 Oct 2007 21:04:45 -0000
    <13hq43dbdrs2m7a@news.supernews.com>:
    > On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 10:21:20 -0400, Sue Romer wrote:
    >
    >> In the real world people want to "like" something. It just so happens
    >> that the masses "like" Microsoft and they "like" Windows.

    > No, they don't.

    Actually, they do, in the same way that someone "likes"
    a hometown sort who hasn't seen someone outside of their
    town. Fortunately, ignorance is curable in that case (if
    the salesman is reasonably honest and the father doesn't
    come by with a shotgun!); unfortunately, the "hometown"
    in this analogy comes with a very loud loudspeaker that
    drowns out the more sophisticated individual who has more
    to offer (or, perhaps, has lots of $20 bills in payola --
    "Here, take this if you like me").

    Sad mess, I know. But look at the Amiga for precedent,
    although the Amiga's problems may have been caused more by
    Commodore's general incompetence than outside pressure.
    Still, Amiga did not get any advertising, and died a
    painful death. I saw exactly one commercial for the
    Commodore 64. I saw none for the Amiga. Not much of a
    sample, I know, but tells me something.

    Fortunately, I have seen several commercials for Linux --
    the IBM basketball one is the one that comes to mind.

    >> In the bizzaro world of linux advocacy the "advocates" are trying to get
    >> people to "hate" instead of "like." People don't want to hate, they want
    >> to like.

    > I like Linux.

    As do I. I can't say I like Windows. It's barely
    tolerable, when it's not being terribly idiotic.
    For me, Linux is easy to use -- and tells me reliably
    when it's having problems.

    As someone once put it:

    *Linux* just *works*.
    Windows *just* works.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Linux. The choice of a GNU generation.
    Windows. The choice of a bunch of people who like very weird behavior on
    a regular basis, random crashes, and "extend, embrace, and extinguish".

  6. Re: Why MS wins and linux (advocacy) loses.

    Rick wrote:

    > On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 10:21:20 -0400, Sue Romer wrote:
    >
    >> In the real world people want to "like" something. It just so happens
    >> that the masses "like" Microsoft and they "like" Windows.

    > No, they don't.
    >

    >> In the bizzaro world of linux advocacy the "advocates" are trying to get
    >> people to "hate" instead of "like." People don't want to hate, they want
    >> to like.

    > I like Linux.
    >

    >> So instead of trying to get everyone to "hate" Windows the way you
    >> morons do, why don't you focus instead on the positive message of
    >> getting people to "like" linux.

    > I do, in many places.

    Me too.

    In fact, I do what no other Microsoft supported can ever dream of doing... I
    give away FREE and complete copies of linux. What windows idiot can claim
    to do that, leagally??

    After all, if you support windows, you support their license model.

    --

    Jerry McBride

  7. Re: Why MS wins and linux (advocacy) loses.

    On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 17:32:46 -0400, Simon Templar wrote:

    > What was the last time you saw a Lexus commercial where they spent the
    > entire 30-seconds ranting and raving how bad BMW or Mercedes Benz is?
    > There is no such commercial because they are smart enough to realize
    > that it would have the adverse effect of turning away potential
    > customers.

    Germany has these curious laws that if a claim is made in an
    advertisement that the claim must be backed up. That's a weird country.
    So, if Mercedes claimed to be ten percent better and BMW could
    demonstrate that not to be the case, the fur would fly.

    When was the last time you went to buy a vehicle and were presented with,
    essentially, one manufacturer? That's what happens when you walk into
    Best Buy.

    -Thufir

  8. Re: Why MS wins and linux (advocacy) loses.

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Simon Templar belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    [can't seem to find the wisdom]

    You're no saint.

    --
    Tux rox!

  9. Re: Why MS wins and linux (advocacy) loses.

    Simon Templar wrote:

    >What was the last time you saw a Lexus commercial where they spent the
    >entire 30-seconds ranting and raving how bad BMW or Mercedes Benz is? There
    >is no such commercial because they are smart enough to realize that it would
    >have the adverse effect of turning away potential customers.

    1) No car company has monopoly power in the market. 2) No car
    company seeks to lock society in to their products, making it
    difficult/impossible for other companies to compete.

    >Yet here in moon-bat "Linux advocacy land" many people think that it makes
    >more sense to talk about anti-Microsoft instead of linux. Hey - Why not get
    >tee-shirts that read "You're a idiot if you use Microshaft Windoze instead
    >of linux"

    Because that's not the situation. Duh.

+ Reply to Thread