Microsoft increases efficiency at BBC so much - thousands no longer needed. - Linux

This is a discussion on Microsoft increases efficiency at BBC so much - thousands no longer needed. - Linux ; The software from Microsoft has made the BBC so much more efficient that they are able to eliminate thousands of "dead weight" positions that are no longer needed. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7050440.stm -- Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com...

  1. Microsoft increases efficiency at BBC so much - thousands no longer needed.

    The software from Microsoft has made the BBC so much more efficient that
    they are able to eliminate thousands of "dead weight" positions that are no
    longer needed.

  2. Re: Microsoft increases efficiency at BBC so much - thousands no longer needed.

    Sue Romer :

    > The software from Microsoft has made the BBC so much more efficient that
    > they are able to eliminate thousands of "dead weight" positions that are no
    > longer needed.
    >
    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7050440.stm

    How is it that you've lived this long without wearing a helmet?

    --
    As President I have to go vacuum my coin collection!

    http://www.websterscafe.com

  3. Re: Microsoft increases efficiency at BBC so much - thousands no longer needed.

    Handover Phist did eloquently scribble:
    > Sue Romer :
    >>
    >> The software from Microsoft has made the BBC so much more efficient that
    >> they are able to eliminate thousands of "dead weight" positions that are no
    >> longer needed.
    >>
    >> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7050440.stm

    > How is it that you've lived this long without wearing a helmet?

    I think the fact "she"'s not worn a helmet is the reason "she"'s so stupid
    now! How many times has she been dropped on her head by her parents?

    | in |good to you so far... |

  4. Re: Microsoft increases efficiency at BBC so much - thousands no longer needed.

    Handover Phist espoused:
    > Sue Romer :
    >>
    >> The software from Microsoft has made the BBC so much more efficient that
    >> they are able to eliminate thousands of "dead weight" positions that are no
    >> longer needed.
    >>
    >> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7050440.stm

    > How is it that you've lived this long without wearing a helmet?

    I don't think Gary will be benefiting from this cash. Apparently, the
    BBC not only no longer need these 2,500 people, they no longer need
    their flagship multi-million headquarters building either.

    And in *no way* are they selling this building, nor are they sacking all
    those people, because of the £280 Millions they've shovelled over to
    Microsoft /so far/, in return for... *nothign at all*!

  5. Re: Microsoft increases efficiency at BBC so much - thousands no longer needed.

    "Mark Kent" wrote in message
    > Handover Phist espoused:
    >> Sue Romer :
    >>>
    >>> The software from Microsoft has made the BBC so much more efficient that
    >>> they are able to eliminate thousands of "dead weight" positions that are
    >>> no
    >>> longer needed.
    >>>
    >>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7050440.stm

    >> How is it that you've lived this long without wearing a helmet?
    >>

    > I don't think Gary will be benefiting from this cash. Apparently, the
    > BBC not only no longer need these 2,500 people, they no longer need
    > their flagship multi-million headquarters building either.

    It's called streamlining and adapting to the modern world. Ford and Chevy
    are also closing some of their buildings. Move out with the old and in with
    the new.

    > And in *no way* are they selling this building, nor are they sacking all
    > those people, because of the ,£280 Millions they've shovelled over to
    > Microsoft /so far/, in return for... *nothign at all*!

    Most would suspect that the directors and company officers at the BBC know
    better what they are doing than some internet troll.

    > | Mark Kent -- mark at ellandroad dot demon dot co dot uk |
    > | Cola faq: http://www.faqs.org/faqs/linux/advocacy/faq-and-primer/ |
    > | Cola trolls: http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/ |
    > | My (new) blog: http://www.thereisnomagic.org |

  6. Re: Microsoft increases efficiency at BBC so much - thousands no longer needed.

    Keith Windsor espoused:

    > "Mark Kent" wrote in message
    >> Handover Phist espoused:
    >>> Sue Romer :

    >>> How is it that you've lived this long without wearing a helmet?
    >>>

    >> I don't think Gary will be benefiting from this cash. Apparently, the
    >> BBC not only no longer need these 2,500 people, they no longer need
    >> their flagship multi-million headquarters building either.

    > It's called streamlining and adapting to the modern world. Ford and Chevy
    > are also closing some of their buildings. Move out with the old and in with
    > the new.

    Ford are a commercial organisation. The BBC are a corporation. Why
    don't you go and look it up.

    >> And in *no way* are they selling this building, nor are they sacking all
    >> those people, because of the ,£280 Millions they've shovelled over to
    >> Microsoft /so far/, in return for... *nothign at all*!

    > Most would suspect that the directors and company officers at the BBC know
    > better what they are doing than some internet troll.

    Doh. The BBC is *not* a company. You really should research your
    material before demonstrating your ignorance so publicly.

  7. Re: Microsoft increases efficiency at BBC so much - thousands no longer needed.

    "Mark Kent" wrote in message
    > Keith Windsor espoused:
    >>
    >> "Mark Kent" wrote in message
    >>> Handover Phist espoused:

    >>> I don't think Gary will be benefiting from this cash. Apparently, the
    >>> BBC not only no longer need these 2,500 people, they no longer need
    >>> their flagship multi-million headquarters building either.

    >> It's called streamlining and adapting to the modern world. Ford and Chevy
    >> are also closing some of their buildings. Move out with the old and in
    >> with
    >> the new.

    > Ford are a commercial organisation. The BBC are a corporation. Why
    > don't you go and look it up.

    So what? Ford is also a CORPORATION. (Ford Motors Inc.) Are you claiming
    that corporations don't need to streamline and adopt to the modern world.

    >>> And in *no way* are they selling this building, nor are they sacking all
    >>> those people, because of the ,£280 Millions they've shovelled over to
    >>> Microsoft /so far/, in return for... *nothign at all*!

    >> Most would suspect that the directors and company officers at the BBC
    >> know
    >> better what they are doing than some internet troll.

    > Doh. The BBC is *not* a company. You really should research your
    > material before demonstrating your ignorance so publicly.

    It's a corporation. So what. The board of governance still knows what's
    better for the BBC then the likes of you [H]omer and "7" ever will.

    > --
    > | Mark Kent -- mark at ellandroad dot demon dot co dot uk |
    > | Cola faq: http://www.faqs.org/faqs/linux/advocacy/faq-and-primer/ |
    > | Cola trolls: http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/ |
    > | My (new) blog: http://www.thereisnomagic.org |

  8. Re: Microsoft increases efficiency at BBC so much - thousands no longer needed.

    Keith Windsor did eloquently scribble:
    > It's a corporation. So what. The board of governance still knows what's
    > better for the BBC then the likes of you [H]omer and "7" ever will.

    Obviously not. They're utter morons who've broken their charter.
    And the law, most likely. It's illegal for them to just opt for something as
    expensive as their microsoft solution without putting it out to tender.

    And guess what.

    They didn't put it out to tender.
    They didn't give anyone else a chance to bid for the deal.
    More importantly they didn't give any british companies the chance to.

    Instead, they shovelled millions to microsoft for possibly the worst "media
    player" this side of the milky way.

  9. Re: Microsoft increases efficiency at BBC so much - thousands no longer needed.

    Keith Windsor espoused:

    > "Mark Kent" wrote in message
    >> Keith Windsor espoused:
    >>>
    >>> "Mark Kent" wrote in message

    >>> It's called streamlining and adapting to the modern world. Ford and Chevy
    >>> are also closing some of their buildings. Move out with the old and in
    >>> with
    >>> the new.

    >> Ford are a commercial organisation. The BBC are a corporation. Why
    >> don't you go and look it up.

    > So what? Ford is also a CORPORATION. (Ford Motors Inc.) Are you claiming
    > that corporations don't need to streamline and adopt to the modern world.

    You don't understand, do you?

    >>> Most would suspect that the directors and company officers at the BBC
    >>> know
    >>> better what they are doing than some internet troll.

    >> Doh. The BBC is *not* a company. You really should research your
    >> material before demonstrating your ignorance so publicly.

    > It's a corporation. So what. The board of governance still knows what's
    > better for the BBC then the likes of you [H]omer and "7" ever will.

    You still don't grasp it. The BBC is *not* a commercial organisation,
    it doesn't have shareholders, it's owned by the people. That's me. And
    Homer. And 7. But not *you*.

  10. Re: Microsoft increases efficiency at BBC so much - thousands no longer needed.

    [H]omer wrote:

    > But then IME, for minions like him, /comprehension/ is not the
    > problem. The /real/ problem is that he just doesn't care. Well, not
    > about anything that actually /matters/, anyway.

    Pious windbag.

    Here you sit whining about Microsoft and who works at the BBC, when you
    could be doing something that /actually matters/, like living and working in
    a 3rd world country helping the native populace improve their lives.

  11. Re: Microsoft increases efficiency at BBC so much - thousands no longer needed.

    DFS did eloquently scribble:
    > [H]omer wrote:

    >> But then IME, for minions like him, /comprehension/ is not the
    >> problem. The /real/ problem is that he just doesn't care. Well, not
    >> about anything that actually /matters/, anyway.

    > Pious windbag.

    > Here you sit whining about Microsoft and who works at the BBC, when you
    > could be doing something that /actually matters/, like living and working in
    > a 3rd world country helping the native populace improve their lives.

    So why aren't you in the third world helping the native populace to improve
    their lives? Hmmm? Why is it expected of homer but something you'd be
    totally unwilling to do?

  12. Re: Microsoft increases efficiency at BBC so much - thousands no longer needed.

    spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:
    > DFS did eloquently scribble:
    >> [H]omer wrote:

    >>> But then IME, for minions like him, /comprehension/ is not the
    >>> problem. The /real/ problem is that he just doesn't care. Well, not
    >>> about anything that actually /matters/, anyway.

    >> Pious windbag.

    >> Here you sit whining about Microsoft and who works at the BBC, when
    >> you could be doing something that /actually matters/, like living
    >> and working in a 3rd world country helping the native populace
    >> improve their lives.

    > So why aren't you in the third world helping the native populace to
    > improve their lives? Hmmm? Why is it expected of homer but something
    > you'd be totally unwilling to do?

    Because [H]omer himself said so:

    "The most important thing that this trip taught me was ... how utterly
    trivial it is to advocate operating systems. I mean really, the petty
    trivialities of operating system preferences just drops into the oblivion of
    a bottomless pit, in comparison to issues in the *real* world.

    Time for me to grow up, stop being a little boy, and try to be a man."

    The *real* world issue he was talking about was 3rd world poverty.

+ Reply to Thread