Microsoft Accepts European Ruling - Linux

This is a discussion on Microsoft Accepts European Ruling - Linux ; [Microsoft will obey, won't appeal...] dropping a challenge of a European Commission order that found it guilty of monopoly abuse three years ago.... Ms. Kroes said she regretted that it took so long for Microsoft to comply, because consumers suffered ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

  1. Microsoft Accepts European Ruling

    [Microsoft will obey, won't appeal...] dropping a challenge of a
    European Commission order that found it guilty of monopoly abuse three
    years ago....

    Ms. Kroes said she regretted that it took so long for Microsoft to
    comply, because consumers suffered a lack of choice for years as
    rivals were held back from developing better software.

    If the software maker does not keep to the terms of the deal,
    competitors will be able to take the company to a British court to
    seek damages....

    The company will now charge a one-time fee of 10,000 euros ($14,310)
    for companies that want "complete and accurate" technical information
    to help them make software compatible with Microsoft's Windows desktop
    operating system.

    [Right, for $14,000 you get cut-and-paste of the London phone
    book...]

    It will also allow that data to go to open source systems such as
    Linux, and will cut the price it charges for worldwide licenses -
    including patents - to less than 7 percent of what Microsoft
    originally claimed.

    "The agreements will be enforceable before the High Court in London,
    and will provide for effective remedies, including damages, for third-
    party developers in the event that Microsoft breaches those
    agreements," the commission said.

    The European Union's executive arm said it would soon decide if the
    software maker violated European law by overcharging for
    interoperability information....

    Microsoft lost an appeal at the Court of First Instance on Sept. 17.

    Ms. Kroes promised that computer users would soon see real benefits.

    Microsoft controls some 95 percent of the software running on desktop
    computers in offices and homes and has a 70 percent chunk of work
    group server software that control how a group desktops access each
    others and transfer tasks to printers.

    http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/tech.../22apsoft.html

  2. Re: Microsoft Accepts European Ruling

    nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:

    > "Ms. Kroes promised that computer users would soon see real benefits.

    She promises, eh? Can we sue her and the EU Competition Commission for
    vaporware and monopoly abuse if we don't see real benefits soon?

    Maybe she means benefits like Windows XP N Edition? I hear customers love
    that one...

    http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/tech.../22apsoft.html

  3. Re: Microsoft Accepts European Ruling

    On Oct 22, 7:32 am, "DFS" wrote:
    > ness...@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:
    > > "Ms. Kroes promised that computer users would soon see real benefits.

    > She promises, eh? Can we sue her and the EU Competition Commission for
    > vaporware and monopoly abuse if we don't see real benefits soon?
    >
    > Maybe she means benefits like Windows XP N Edition? I hear customers love
    > that one...
    >
    > http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/tech.../22apsoft.html

    Yes, gubbment intervention in our lives is getting out of hand, isn't
    it? Ever since Sherman burned Atlanta. Now they won't even let us
    keep our slaves...

  4. Re: Microsoft Accepts European Ruling

    wrote in message
    news:1193062542.529900.218710@v29g2000prd.googlegr oups.com...

    > [Microsoft will obey, won't appeal...] dropping a challenge of a
    > European Commission order that found it guilty of monopoly abuse three
    > years ago....
    >
    > Ms. Kroes said she regretted that it took so long for Microsoft to
    > comply, because consumers suffered a lack of choice for years as
    > rivals were held back from developing better software.
    >
    > If the software maker does not keep to the terms of the deal,
    > competitors will be able to take the company to a British court to
    > seek damages....
    >
    > The company will now charge a one-time fee of 10,000 euros ($14,310)
    > for companies that want "complete and accurate" technical information
    > to help them make software compatible with Microsoft's Windows desktop
    > operating system.
    >
    > [Right, for $14,000 you get cut-and-paste of the London phone
    > book...]
    >
    > It will also allow that data to go to open source systems such as
    > Linux, and will cut the price it charges for worldwide licenses -
    > including patents - to less than 7 percent of what Microsoft
    > originally claimed.
    >
    > "The agreements will be enforceable before the High Court in London,
    > and will provide for effective remedies, including damages, for third-
    > party developers in the event that Microsoft breaches those
    > agreements," the commission said.
    >
    > The European Union's executive arm said it would soon decide if the
    > software maker violated European law by overcharging for
    > interoperability information....
    >
    > Microsoft lost an appeal at the Court of First Instance on Sept. 17.
    >
    > Ms. Kroes promised that computer users would soon see real benefits.
    >
    > Microsoft controls some 95 percent of the software running on desktop
    > computers in offices and homes and has a 70 percent chunk of work
    > group server software that control how a group desktops access each
    > others and transfer tasks to printers.
    >

    > http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/tech.../22apsoft.html

    And the world is changed not one whit.

  5. Re: Microsoft Accepts European Ruling

    schreef in bericht

    Nice you agree, you dumb**** cunt!
    "Microsoft controls some 95 percent of the software running on desktop
    computers in offices and homes and has a 70 percent chunk of work group
    server software that control how a group desktops access each others and
    transfer tasks to printers."

  6. Re: Microsoft Accepts European Ruling

    On Oct 22, 11:02 am, "amicus_curious" wrote:
    > wrote in message
    >
    > news:1193062542.529900.218710@v29g2000prd.googlegr oups.com...
    >

    > > [Microsoft will obey, won't appeal...] dropping a challenge of a
    > > European Commission order that found it guilty of monopoly abuse three
    > > years ago....

    > > Ms. Kroes said she regretted that it took so long for Microsoft to
    > > comply, because consumers suffered a lack of choice for years as
    > > rivals were held back from developing better software.

    > > If the software maker does not keep to the terms of the deal,
    > > competitors will be able to take the company to a British court to
    > > seek damages....

    > > The company will now charge a one-time fee of 10,000 euros ($14,310)
    > > for companies that want "complete and accurate" technical information
    > > to help them make software compatible with Microsoft's Windows desktop
    > > operating system.

    > > [Right, for $14,000 you get cut-and-paste of the London phone
    > > book...]

    > > It will also allow that data to go to open source systems such as
    > > Linux, and will cut the price it charges for worldwide licenses -
    > > including patents - to less than 7 percent of what Microsoft
    > > originally claimed.

    > > "The agreements will be enforceable before the High Court in London,
    > > and will provide for effective remedies, including damages, for third-
    > > party developers in the event that Microsoft breaches those
    > > agreements," the commission said.

    > > The European Union's executive arm said it would soon decide if the
    > > software maker violated European law by overcharging for
    > > interoperability information....

    > > Microsoft lost an appeal at the Court of First Instance on Sept. 17.

    > > Ms. Kroes promised that computer users would soon see real benefits.

    > > Microsoft controls some 95 percent of the software running on desktop
    > > computers in offices and homes and has a 70 percent chunk of work
    > > group server software that control how a group desktops access each
    > > others and transfer tasks to printers.
    > >

    > >http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/tech.../22apsoft.html

    > And the world is changed not one whit.

    Speak for yourself, will ya'?

    -RFH

  7. Re: Microsoft Accepts European Ruling

    amicus_curious wrote:

    >And the world is changed not one whit.

    And you're still a piece of ****.

  8. Re: Microsoft Accepts European Ruling

    ____/ nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu on Monday 22 October 2007 15:15 : \____

    > [Microsoft will obey, won't appeal...] dropping a challenge of a
    > European Commission order that found it guilty of monopoly abuse three
    > years ago....
    >
    > Ms. Kroes said she regretted that it took so long for Microsoft to
    > comply, because consumers suffered a lack of choice for years as
    > rivals were held back from developing better software.
    >
    > If the software maker does not keep to the terms of the deal,
    > competitors will be able to take the company to a British court to
    > seek damages....
    >
    > The company will now charge a one-time fee of 10,000 euros ($14,310)
    > for companies that want "complete and accurate" technical information
    > to help them make software compatible with Microsoft's Windows desktop
    > operating system.
    >
    > [Right, for $14,000 you get cut-and-paste of the London phone
    > book...]
    >
    > It will also allow that data to go to open source systems such as
    > Linux, and will cut the price it charges for worldwide licenses -
    > including patents - to less than 7 percent of what Microsoft
    > originally claimed.
    >
    > "The agreements will be enforceable before the High Court in London,
    > and will provide for effective remedies, including damages, for third-
    > party developers in the event that Microsoft breaches those
    > agreements," the commission said.
    >
    > The European Union's executive arm said it would soon decide if the
    > software maker violated European law by overcharging for
    > interoperability information....
    >
    > Microsoft lost an appeal at the Court of First Instance on Sept. 17.
    >
    > Ms. Kroes promised that computer users would soon see real benefits.
    >
    > Microsoft controls some 95 percent of the software running on desktop
    > computers in offices and homes and has a 70 percent chunk of work
    > group server software that control how a group desktops access each
    > others and transfer tasks to printers.
    >

    > http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/tech.../22apsoft.html

    Nest stop: Korea.

    Microsoft dropped their appeal there last week. It's falling apart.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | $> sudo root; cd /; rm -rf *.doc

  9. Re: Microsoft Accepts European Ruling

    Clogwog wrote:

    > schreef in bericht
    > news:1193062542.529900.218710@v29g2000prd.googlegr oups.com...
    >>
    >> [Microsoft will obey, won't appeal...] dropping a challenge of a
    >> European Commission order that found it guilty of monopoly abuse three
    >> years ago....
    >>
    >> Ms. Kroes said she regretted that it took so long for Microsoft to
    >> comply, because consumers suffered a lack of choice for years as
    >> rivals were held back from developing better software.
    >>
    >> If the software maker does not keep to the terms of the deal,
    >> competitors will be able to take the company to a British court to
    >> seek damages....
    >>
    >> The company will now charge a one-time fee of 10,000 euros ($14,310)
    >> for companies that want "complete and accurate" technical information
    >> to help them make software compatible with Microsoft's Windows desktop
    >> operating system.
    >>
    >> [Right, for $14,000 you get cut-and-paste of the London phone
    >> book...]
    >>
    >> It will also allow that data to go to open source systems such as
    >> Linux, and will cut the price it charges for worldwide licenses -
    >> including patents - to less than 7 percent of what Microsoft
    >> originally claimed.
    >>
    >> "The agreements will be enforceable before the High Court in London,
    >> and will provide for effective remedies, including damages, for third-
    >> party developers in the event that Microsoft breaches those
    >> agreements," the commission said.
    >>
    >> The European Union's executive arm said it would soon decide if the
    >> software maker violated European law by overcharging for
    >> interoperability information....
    >>
    >> Microsoft lost an appeal at the Court of First Instance on Sept. 17.
    >>
    >> Ms. Kroes promised that computer users would soon see real benefits.
    >>
    >> Microsoft controls some 95 percent of the software running on desktop
    >> computers in offices and homes and has a 70 percent chunk of work
    >> group server software that control how a group desktops access each
    >> others and transfer tasks to printers.
    >>

    >> http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/tech.../22apsoft.html
    >>

    > Nice you agree, you dumb**** cunt!
    > "Microsoft controls some 95 percent of the software running on desktop

    How much would they have, had they not done the dirty on so many software
    companies, buying those that it could not simply sweep asside by putting in
    their own version. So they would buy the company and drop the staff, all
    they wanted was the code. Fair enough, except that in the minds of many it
    was the programmers that MS should have kept, minds that can create code
    that was worthy of these take overs are much more important than a bunch of
    functions or classes, MS pissed on their own legs by missing the obvious.

    There are doing the same right now, after all these years of MS machines
    depending entirely on the third party security vendors, MS are now rolling
    their own. Their reverse engineers have finally worked out how it is done.

    Go down the list of MS features and you will find very little that MS
    invented for themselves, including Windows itself and now what are we
    finding? That MS are severely short of high end software engineers. Piss on
    your own leg and you end up with wet pants.

    > server software that control how a group desktops access each others and
    > transfer tasks to printers."

    SMB. That is all those controls are, it is the SMB packets. It is a good
    packet system and is particularly good for asking other network devices
    about capabilities, just as you would ask a sound card or a video card
    within your machine to return it's capabilities in your software, you can
    talk to the network devices in the same way.

    MS forgot one tiny little thing when they came up with SMB, they forgot to
    ask the virus people to not use it. So you could scan a network and in a
    short time have a list of devices and from all those devices willing to
    respond, you also have the capabilities. So what do you want to do, set off
    all the printers putting out crap? talk to a few PCs and persuade them to
    download a nice virus script perhaps? The choices are endless.

    Thank goodness for those third party security vendors, because those are the
    only things protecting you from these attacks, MS isn't protecting you.
    Vista might, in fact vista's paper sugests that it will be very good at
    protecting from this sort of thing, except that to make it work the SMB
    packets had to be changed as well as the file format.

    I would be happy to praise MS where it is due, but the two points you make
    are notworthy of praise.

    Things MS did that are worthy of praise:-

    1. MS software development kits.
    2.

    I so wanted to write a list then, but got stuck on number two.

  10. Re: Microsoft Accepts European Ruling

    nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:

    > On Oct 22, 7:32 am, "DFS" wrote:
    >> ness...@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:
    >> > "Ms. Kroes promised that computer users would soon see real benefits.

    >> She promises, eh? Can we sue her and the EU Competition Commission for
    >> vaporware and monopoly abuse if we don't see real benefits soon?
    >>
    >> Maybe she means benefits like Windows XP N Edition? I hear customers
    >> love that one...
    >>
    >> http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/tech.../22apsoft.html

    > Yes, gubbment intervention in our lives is getting out of hand, isn't
    > it? Ever since Sherman burned Atlanta. Now they won't even let us
    > keep our slaves...

    You can, but you are not allowed to call them slaves anymore, you have to
    call them The Wife.

  11. Re: Microsoft Accepts European Ruling

    After takin' a swig o' grog, BearItAll belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:
    >
    >> Yes, gubbment intervention in our lives is getting out of hand, isn't
    >> it? Ever since Sherman burned Atlanta. Now they won't even let us
    >> keep our slaves...

    > You can, but you are not allowed to call them slaves anymore, you have to
    > call them The Wife.

    No, you have to call them "Knowledge Workers". Formerly known as
    "Developers". Formerly known as "Coders". Formerly known as
    "Programmers".

    --
    Tux rox!

  12. Re: Microsoft Accepts European Ruling

    After takin' a swig o' grog, chrisv belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > amicus_curious wrote:
    >
    >>And the world is changed not one whit.

    > And you're still a piece of ****.

    I just love the way two adversaries came together in this newsgroup
    and created a beautiful poem.

    --

  13. Re: Microsoft Accepts European Ruling

    ____/ BearItAll on Monday 22 October 2007 16:55 : \____

    > 1. MS software development kits.

    ^^
    Make that MS-only. Only available for Windows, for producing programs that only
    run on Winddows.

    > 2.
    >
    > I so wanted to write a list then, but got stuck on number two.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Partition if an operating $ysteM must be set aside
    18:20:01 up 6 days, 3:05, 3 users, load average: 1.86, 1.06, 1.62

  14. Re: Microsoft Accepts European Ruling

    "chrisv" wrote
    > amicus_curious wrote:
    >
    >>And the world is changed not one whit.

    > And you're still a piece of ****.

    I'm very sorry I flamed you amicus_curious . My shrink gave me those new
    meds today to
    refrain me from plonking people, but the dosage isn't what it should be!
    Greetings, Chris from Philadelphia!

  15. Re: Microsoft Accepts European Ruling

    DFS wrote:

    > nessuno@ .-------------------------------------------------.
    > |____________________________________________O_-_X|
    > > "Ms. K | File Options Tools Help | enefits.

    > `_-_____-________-______-____________________:F_P:'
    > She promises, e | *Alert* |__________ EU Competition Commission for
    > vaporware and m | Plonk ' Subject |____________ fits soon?
    > `----------. *Sender* ' Troll |
    > Maybe she means benefits l `----------. Idiot | hear customers love
    > that one... | Moron |
    > | Twit |
    > | Imbecile |
    > http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/techn | Changeling | l
    > | Cretin |
    > | Asshole |
    > | Weird |
    > | *DooFus* |
    > | Kook |
    > | Eerie |
    > | Morph |
    > `------------'

  16. Re: Microsoft Accepts European Ruling

    After takin' a swig o' grog, [H]omer belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > As for the highly cynical term "human resources", that tends to remind
    > me of mankind being reduced to the level of nothing more than a barrel
    > of gloop, like Soylent Green:

    Mmmmmmmmmmm. Soylent green.

    --
    Tux rox!

  17. Re: Microsoft Accepts European Ruling

    > ____/ BearItAll on Monday 22 October 2007 16:55 : \____
    >
    >> 1. MS software development kits.

    > ^^
    > Make that MS-only. Only available for Windows, for producing programs that only
    > run on Winddows.

    What, Microsoft hasn't developed a *good* cross-compiler yet?

    --
    Tux rox!

  18. Re: Microsoft Accepts European Ruling

    Linonut wrote:

    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Roy Schestowitz belched out this bit o'
    > wisdom:
    >
    >> ____/ BearItAll on Monday 22 October 2007 16:55 : \____
    >>
    >>> 1. MS software development kits.

    >> ^^
    >> Make that MS-only. Only available for Windows, for producing programs
    >> that only run on Winddows.

    > What, Microsoft hasn't developed a *good* cross-compiler yet?

    C6 was great for cross compiling and embedded stuff. I don't know if their
    current compiler is capable of any of that.

  19. Re: Microsoft Accepts European Ruling

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Linonut

    wrote
    on Tue, 23 Oct 2007 11:31:56 GMT
    :
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Roy Schestowitz belched out this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> ____/ BearItAll on Monday 22 October 2007 16:55 : \____
    >>
    >>> 1. MS software development kits.

    >> ^^
    >> Make that MS-only. Only available for Windows, for producing
    >> programs that only run on Winddows.

    > What, Microsoft hasn't developed a *good* cross-compiler yet?

    Well, MCS.EXE, the C# compiler, works reasonably well on Mono. :-)
    That's the closest thing that springs to mind.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Q: "Why is my computer doing that?"
    A: "Don't do that and you'll be fine."

  20. Re: Microsoft Accepts European Ruling

    "chrisv" wrote in message
    news:20071022191238.F22001C00088@mwinf6101.orange. nl...
    > "chrisv" wrote
    >> amicus_curious wrote:
    >>
    >>>And the world is changed not one whit.

    >> And you're still a piece of ****.
    >>

    > I'm very sorry I flamed you amicus_curious . My shrink gave me those new
    > meds today to
    > refrain me from plonking people, but the dosage isn't what it should be!
    > Greetings, Chris from Philadelphia!

    No problem. Your barbs have had no effect on me as I have simply classed
    you as another clueless Linux loser.

    Chas from Fresno..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast