Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft goes Christmas shopping - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft goes Christmas shopping - Linux ; ____/ [H]omer on Monday 22 October 2007 11:31 : \____ > Santa: And what do /you/ want for Christmas, baby Ballmer? > Sweaty: World Domination ... Muuuaaaha-ha-ha. > Santa: I don't think I have any left. Here, have Monopoly instead. ...

  1. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft goes Christmas shopping

    http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9...bj=TheOpenRoad

    > If you can't beat them, buy them. Eh Sweaty?
    >
    > Not that Sweaty gives a damn about alienating parts of the GNU/Linux
    > community. Oh wait ... he does - Divide and conquer: rule 23 in the
    > Pearly Handbook of the Rules of Acquisition. They even stole the /book/
    > from the Ferengis. Has Microsoft ever actually /made/ anything, other
    > than everyone else miserable?
    >
    > Ho, ho, ho.

    Only small companies, eh? 20 companies a year.

    You know what they say:

    "One competitor a day keeps the FTC away."

    Microsoft has found a loophole.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Linux: stop maintenance; get more actual work done
    Swap: 1510068k total, 765152k used, 744916k free, 56136k cached

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft goes Christmas shopping

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ [H]omer on Monday 22 October 2007 11:31 : \____
    >
    >> Santa: And what do /you/ want for Christmas, baby Ballmer?
    >> Sweaty: World Domination ... Muuuaaaha-ha-ha.
    >> Santa: I don't think I have any left. Here, have Monopoly instead.
    >>
    >> .----
    >> | Mark Hinkle offers up a few ideas for Microsoft on who to put
    >> | on its open-source Christmas list. Interesting....
    >> |

    >> | Perhaps they should buy a company for the technology and
    >> | something complementary to their portfolio. Granted a company with
    >> | a large community might be nice but could be quickly alienated
    >> | because of anti-Microsoft sentiment
    >> |
    >> `----
    >>

    > http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9...bj=TheOpenRoad
    >>
    >> If you can't beat them, buy them. Eh Sweaty?
    >>
    >> Not that Sweaty gives a damn about alienating parts of the GNU/Linux
    >> community. Oh wait ... he does - Divide and conquer: rule 23 in the
    >> Pearly Handbook of the Rules of Acquisition. They even stole the /book/
    >> from the Ferengis. Has Microsoft ever actually /made/ anything, other
    >> than everyone else miserable?
    >>
    >> Ho, ho, ho.

    > Only small companies, eh? 20 companies a year.
    >
    > You know what they say:
    >
    > "One competitor a day keeps the FTC away."
    >
    > Microsoft has found a loophole.

    Perhaps. Consider this a different way around, though. If Microsoft
    acquire floss companies at this rate, then the original proprietary
    crowd will soon be outnumbered by the floss people. This could just be
    the culture change which Microsoft needs in order to become a successful
    vendor again.

    If their efforts are being diverted into real floss efforts, using
    proper licences, then I wouldn't, of necessity, have a problem with
    that.