[News] People Are Avoiding Vista Because of Linux and XP (Poll Confirms) - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] People Are Avoiding Vista Because of Linux and XP (Poll Confirms) - Linux ; Windows Vista - Review ,----[ Quote ] | Right now I would suggest to get Windows XP or a Linux distribute such as | Ubuntu. `---- http://elitehackerspro.blogspot.com/...ta-review.html Windows shocker: 67% would buy XP over Vista ,----[ Quote ] | Is ...

  1. [News] People Are Avoiding Vista Because of Linux and XP (Poll Confirms)

    `----

    http://elitehackerspro.blogspot.com/...ta-review.html

    Windows shocker: 67% would buy XP over Vista

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Is Windows Vista the biggest PR failure in Microsoft's history? I don't
    | remember the criticism being this bad a year after XP was launched...
    `----

    http://wannabegeek.org/content/view/86526/

    Upgrading your new laptop from Vista to XP

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | After installing XP on my new Vista laptop I was absolutely astounded by the
    | speed and performance when running XP over Vista. For proper speed,
    | performance and utility, XP has the solution for you.
    `----

    http://www.instructables.com/id/Upgr...m-Vista-to-XP/

    Instructables, a very repspetable Web site, calls it an "upgrade" (Vista ->
    XP). Back to 2001...

    Recent:

    Tesco sell computers with Ubuntu pre-installed - Linux on the up?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Tesco is the world's third largest grocery retailer, and also sells
    | everything from clothes to electrical equipment. Â*
    `----

    http://tech.blorge.com/Structure
    %20/2007/10/21/tesco-sell-computers-with-ubuntu-pre-installed-linux-on-the-up/

    Currys group blames Vista for poor sales

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | DSG, the group behind Currys and PC World, has warned that poor sales of
    | Vista could slash its profits by around ÂŁ20 million.
    `----

    http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/131507/c...oor-sales.html

    DSG continues retailer woes

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | DSG, the company formerly known as Dixons, became the latest British retailer
    | to report a drop in profits for the summer months today. But it wasn’t all
    | down to the rotten weather – this time it was also Microsoft’s fault.
    `----

    http://www.managementtoday.co.uk/new...retailer-woes/

    Related:

    | Financial Times Deutschland on Monday.

    | Lenovo.

    `----

    http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/...SS&NewsID=9579

    Microsoft admits Vista screwed - report

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Vista SP1 is code named "Fiji", presumably after a pretty looking
    | island which is paralysed by coups.
    |
    | In a statement regarding the service pack Microsoft admits that
    | Vista has "high impact" problems.
    `----

    Microsoft Vista Waster

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Computer and software manufacturers have turned computers from a convenient
    | tool to a means of dictating to us what to buy next.
    `----

    http://flyingimam.blogspot.com/2007/...ta-waster.html

    Why the Unbundling Windows Sceptics are Wrong

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft has introduced a number of measures in recent versions of Windows
    | which are designed to stop piracy of Windows. In effect, they have provided
    | their own answer to this question.
    `----

    http://www.cybersource.com.au/users/...are_wrong.html

  2. Re: People Are Avoiding Vista Because of Linux and XP (Poll Confirms)

    On Oct 22, 7:41 am, Roy Schestowitz
    wrote:
    > Windows Vista - Review

    > Windows shocker: 67% would buy XP over Vista
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Is Windows Vista the biggest PR failure in Microsoft's history? I don't
    > | remember the criticism being this bad a year after XP was launched...
    > `----

    Actually this wouldn't be the worst. Remember that when Windows NT
    3.1 came out, almost 90% chose Windows 3.1 instead of Windows NT 3.1
    or Windows 3.5 during that first year period. That was in mid 1993,
    and the market response was so bad that Bill Gates very quickly
    announced "Chicago" and said it would be out within a year. 2 years
    later, Windows 95 was finally released and wasn't really "stable"
    until the Windows 95B release about 6 months later.

    Given Microsoft's past track record, it could take them up to 6 years
    to fix the problems and come up with a major release or correction to
    Vista.

    Microsoft released Windows 1.0 shortly after the Mac, yet it wasn't as
    functional or stable as the Mac until Windows 95. Microsoft announced
    that NT would be a "better Unix than Unix" in 1992, and didn't deliver
    Windows 2000 until almost may of 2000, almost 8 years later. Vista
    was supposed to be Microsoft's answer to Linux when XP failed to
    impress in 2001. Vista still can't deliver the combination of
    stability, security, efficiency, performance, and flexibility of Linux
    releases available in 2001, let alone all of the new functionality
    provided by newer and better OSS applications, Linux applications, and
    collaboration tools.

    Yet Microsoft still uses it's iron fisted contracts to keep OEMs like
    HP, Dell, Lenovo, Toshiba, Acer, and Gateway from offering the
    flexibility and capability of Linux-enhanced PCs. They still prevent
    these OEMs from publishing ads and promotional material that list
    Linux and Windows compatibility in the same document. Even when Linux
    is included with the motherboard, Microsoft prevents the OEMs from
    shipping the Linux distribution along with the preinstalled Windows
    machine. The OEMs are not even allowed to honor the warrantees of
    hardware sold with Windows and converted to the same versions of Linux
    sold to corporate customers who do order Linux machines in quantity.

    Yet the Bush administration thinks that Microsoft should be allowed to
    profit from it's "Innovaion". Shouldn't other individuals and
    companies be allowed to profit from their Innovations as well? How
    many Microsoft "Innovations" are based on the work and efforts of
    their competitors? Bill Joy created BSD, yet Microsoft used this
    technology to keep Sun off corporate desktops. Marc Andreeson created
    Mosaic, yet Microsoft tried to use that same code - rebranded as
    Internet Explorer, to drive Netscape, also co-owned by Andreeson, into
    bankruptcy (easy takeover), and then tried to for AOL to stop
    upgrading it, effectively killing off the market completely.

    Other victims include Lotus, WordPerfect, Novell, Borland, Corel,
    Autodesk, Symantic, Norton, RealMedia, Citrix, and thousands of other
    companies who have had their innovations stolen from them and included
    as Microsoft bundleware, driving the original innovators into ruin.

    For 25 years Microsoft has "ruled the roost" with it's "Iron Fist"
    killing off competitors, decimating their stocks, often turning
    $billion companies into small businesses, simply because they have
    been denied access to the OEM distribution channel. Perhaps the OEMs
    should not be allowed to preinstall ANY software, and should be
    REQUIRED to include software from all vendors. Or they should be
    required to install ALL competitors' software.

    The amusing thing is that there would be those who say "The courts or
    government shouldn't regulate or mandate OEM PC configuration", and
    yet this is exactly what the Bush administration has done by allowing
    Microsoft to continue to engage in flagrant violations of the court
    settlement simply because the two votes chosen by Microsoft on the
    technical committee can outvote the person who actually attempts to
    represent competitors and consumers. The compliance officer seems to
    be doing nothing. Microsoft's contracts have become even MORE
    exclusionary and MORE restrictive against competitors, even though the
    court had ordered Microsoft to stop interfering with ANY attempts by
    OEMs to ship Linux on their PCs.

    The technology is now available for OEMs to ship machines that can run
    Windows and Linux equally well, and even at the same time. There is
    no technical reason for the OEMs to NOT ship both Linux and Windows
    images on the same machine. Microsoft's illegal use of exclusionary
    contracts to prevent this are a direct violation of the court order
    signed in 2001. Microsoft has defied nearly every element of the
    court order since that time, with the Bush administration guarding
    it's flanks.

    Microsoft was ordered to stop using it's monopoly power to extend it's
    monopoly into other markets, yet they have now attempted to use
    bundleware to expand theri monopoly of the OEM channel into Music,
    Video and Movies, AntiVirus, Remote Access, and Firewalls/security.

    In each of these areas, suitable competition was available, and had
    access to the OEM channel, and was driven from the OEM channel by
    Microsoft's exclusionary contracts and illegal bundling of
    applications as "Operating System Enhancements".

    Microsoft was ordered to publish their protocols in a manner which
    promoted competition. Instead, Microsoft has merely added proprietary
    extensions to break SAMBA, LDAP, and other widely accepted standards,
    then put these "enhancements" into Nondiscloure and License agreements
    that expressly forbid their use in anything but Windows client
    software and Windows server software.

    Microsoft has subverted graphics standards, attempting to impose
    exclusionary contracts preventing the makers of DirectX video card
    makers from creating software that would make these cards compatible
    with Linux and it's OpenGL compatible software. Compatibility
    licenses for Windows were made available, but only for applications
    written to run on Microsoft Windows.

    Microsoft has also attempted to subvert and hijack other standards
    such as SATA, 802.11g and 802.11n, the SAN protocol used in the SC101
    storage controller, and other SAN protocols, and numerous other formal
    and informal agreements designed to exclude competitors including
    Linux, OS/X, Solaris, UnixWare, and the various BSD based systems.

    Microsoft even successfully induced SCO into filing a lawsuit which
    they knew was fraudulent, as an attempt to sow Fear, Uncertainty, and
    Doubt, for the express purpose of preventing companies from adopting
    Linux when Windows XP popularity was beginning to Falter.

    Microsoft even ignored previous settlements with the FTC and DOJ
    related to the use of Vapor-Ware for the purpose of fraudulently
    misleading the OEMs and corporate customers into believing that
    Longhorn would have all ofthe best features of Linux and would be
    available as early as 2004. The product delivered in 2007 barely
    delivered 20% of the promised features and functionality.

    Keep in mind that since the settlement, Microsoft has collected $60
    billion/year in profits and revenues based on their ability to
    continue to engage in illegal activities, that's nearly $500 BILLION
    in illegal benefit, as a direct result of being allowed to openly defy
    the courts with the Bush Administration's blessing.

    But then again, this is peanuts compared to the illegal activities of
    Halliburton, Blackwater, General Dynamics, and United Technologies,
    most of which are still going on with full administration approval.

    > http://wannabegeek.org/content/view/86526/

  3. Re: [News] People Are Avoiding Vista Because of Linux and XP (Poll Confirms)

    "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    > Windows Vista - Review
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Right now I would suggest to get Windows XP or a Linux distribute such
    > as
    > | Ubuntu.
    > `----
    >
    > http://elitehackerspro.blogspot.com/...ta-review.html

    This must be true. After all, some annonymous blogger wrote this in a
    on-line blog. Of course the Roy Schestowitz idiot will believe anything he
    reads.

  4. Re: [News] People Are Avoiding Vista Because of Linux and XP (Poll Confirms)

    On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 11:15:51 -0400, Keith Windsor wrote:

    >"Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    >> Windows Vista - Review
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | Right now I would suggest to get Windows XP or a Linux distribute such
    >> as
    >> | Ubuntu.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://elitehackerspro.blogspot.com/...ta-review.html
    >>

    >This must be true. After all, some annonymous blogger wrote this in a
    >on-line blog. Of course the Roy Schestowitz idiot will believe anything he
    >reads.

    Are you capable of making any argument at all outside of ad hominums?

  5. Re: [News] People Are Avoiding Vista Because of Linux and XP (Poll Confirms)

    ____/ AZ Nomad on Friday 26 October 2007 16:24 : \____

    > On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 11:15:51 -0400, Keith Windsor wrote:
    >

    >>"Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    >>> Windows Vista - Review
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> as
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://elitehackerspro.blogspot.com/...ta-review.html
    >>>

    >>This must be true. After all, some annonymous blogger wrote this in a
    >>on-line blog. Of course the Roy Schestowitz idiot will believe anything he
    >>reads.
    >>

    > Are you capable of making any argument at all outside of ad hominums?

    If only I could rebut ad hominem in COLA, but these nyms expire within 48 hours
    at most and then the killfile needs to be rewritten too. They make it sound
    like many voices of opposition, but it's always the same couple of
    astroturfers (Gary and Scott, joined by a few more whose nym is less erratic).

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | GPL'd Othello: http://othellomaster.com
    Tasks: 106 total, 1 running, 104 sleeping, 0 stopped, 1 zombie