[News] [Rival] Microsoft Plans to Do Things its Own Way on the Web - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] [Rival] Microsoft Plans to Do Things its Own Way on the Web - Linux ; Microsoft plans smaller deals, 'independent' path ,----[ Quote ] | Speaking to the Web 2.0 Summit in San Francisco, Ballmer would not comment | directly on any potential acquisitions, but he said Microsoft's current focus | is the "independent path." ...

  1. [News] [Rival] Microsoft Plans to Do Things its Own Way on the Web

    Microsoft plans smaller deals, 'independent' path

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Speaking to the Web 2.0 Summit in San Francisco, Ballmer would not comment
    | directly on any potential acquisitions, but he said Microsoft's current focus
    | is the "independent path."
    |
    | "If at some point it makes sense, maybe then it makes sense. But that's not
    | where we are going. We are driving in an independent direction," said Ballmer
    | in a question-and-answer session.
    `----

    http://www.reuters.com/article/marke...0071018?rpc=44

    Related:

    Microsoft's Silverlight Tags Along On Halo 3 Coattails

    | Fans who want to check out videos set in the Halo universe and posted on MSN
    | will need to first download Silverlight, Microsoft's recently launched
    | multimedia client. *
    `----

    http://www.crn.com/software/202100894

    Linux to Microsoft: Let's Fight with Silverlight

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft has spent the past few years trumpeting their "you are
    | using patented code" with zero proof or real legal action, this
    | is their ace in the hole. If Microsoft does manage to make sure
    | that this Silverlight becomes the new standard for media rich web
    | browsing, we are in real trouble.
    `----

    http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?op...547&Itemid=449

    Microsoft's Silverlight Biased and Doomed

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft is undoubtedly making progress in the browser and operating
    | system platform struggle, but since their new Web technology can't be
    | viewed and created by everyone, they still have a long way to go.
    `----

    http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?op...545&Itemid=449

    Why Microsoft Silverlight Will Fail.

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | My main reasons (And please, correct me if I am wrong):
    |
    | * No IDE for me - The development path is currently platform
    | specific to Windows. Not even an open compiler or server side
    | compiler for Linux is available. Use Expression Blend on my
    | Mac? Not happening.
    |
    | * No plug in for Linux - Even Adobe has managed to deliver it's
    | modern plugin to Linux users. I only use Linux as a server
    | platform, but with Ubuntu, etc making inroads on the desktop,
    | it's nice to have it as an option.
    |
    | [...]
    `----

    http://visualrinse.com/2007/04/16/wh...ght-will-fail/

    Microsoft's Silverlight and Adobe's Apollo: Web-Killer 2.0

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Now some may be wondering why so many people, myself included, have such
    | violent negative reactions to these attempts to improve the user experience
    | of the World Wide Web. After all, I wrote a report at Forrester about seven
    | years ago called the X Internet that claimed that the Web needed to be more
    | interactive. So what's wrong with a extensions and developer tools to make
    | it all easier? Well, other than attempting to sidestep important
    | collaborative efforts like World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) and the Web
    | Standards Project, these proprietary browser extensions break the utility
    | of the World Wide Web in important ways.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | It's nice to know that despite changes in interfaces and software
    | technology, Microsoft's strategy for the Internet hasn't changed.
    `----

    http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/07..._id.html?.v=19

    Audience abandons Microsoft's MIX 07 keynote

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | He said that when Microsoft and other companies create communities
    | around their technology, it's usually accidental, not created by
    | any ad placed strategically on a web page or in a game.
    |
    | "The Xbox community existed, but the Microsoft ads [in games and
    | on Xbox Live] then got moved around quite by accident, not by
    | design," Rasala said. "It's unclear that many companies can
    | replicate that pattern by design."
    |
    | After Bach's keynote, it was difficult to find attendees in
    | the hall that did not work for Microsoft. Nine out of 10
    | attendees approached for comment after his talk were from
    | the company.
    `----

    http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=9217

    Silverlight is about The Microsoft Web.

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Sorry, but I have to say something very rude. You clearly don't know
    | what you're talking about. That is Microsoft PR talking. Can you say
    | "credibility loss".
    |
    | Silverlight is about The Microsoft Web
    |
    | Silverlight is not about the World Wide Web. It's about The Microsoft
    | Web. It's about getting fools to rally around Microsoft. After all of
    | this time and experience with Microsoft, anybody with half a brain
    | will be smart enough to avoid doing that. The last thing you want to
    | be is dependent on Microsoft and set yourself up to be a DIRECT
    | competitor with "Microsoft Cloud Services" down the road. Dumb.
    | Foolish. Stupid. Smart investors won't invest one dime in your
    | company and might even short your stock.
    |
    | Remember, it's Microsoft's cloud. Microsoft is not investing in
    | huge datacenters all around the world for no reason. And, Microsoft
    | will do whatever it takes, including operating that new online
    | services business at a huge loss, to starve off any smaller
    | competitor that foolishly chose to develop on the Silverlight
    | platform. Microsoft sold $44 BILLION and cleared $18 BILLION
    | profit last year. How many billions did you make last year?
    `----

    http://talkback.zdnet.com/5208-11406...ssageID=613757

    Microsoft's Silverlight Promises to Disrupt Linux Web Users

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Just as it seemed that Linux users (especially 64-bit users) would
    | finally be able to enjoy streaming content with a minimum of
    | hassle, Microsoft's new Silverlight software promises to throw a
    | wrench in the works. Because of sites like Google Video and
    | Youtube, Flash video has become a common means of streaming
    | multimedia over the Internet.
    `----

    Microsoft's 'Everywhere' excludes Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This browser add-on enables rendering of WPF content, but
    | "Everywhere" doesn't include Linux.
    `----

    ECIS Accuses Microsoft of Plotting HTML Hijack

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    http://www.betanews.com/article/ECIS...ack/1169824569

    ,----[ Quote ]

    `----

    http://www.iowaconsumercase.org/011607/2000/PX02991.pdf

    More obvious misgivings about Microsoft and SOA

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | My take is that inside of Microsoft its aggressor A-types are all about
    | dissing SOA and promoting .NET ad nauseam. At the same time the Microserfs
    | and developers must understand the inevitability of SOA for at last a portion
    | of the most advanced and innovative enterprises’ and service providers’
    | architectures. * *
    |
    | And so, as the world turns toward SOA, Microsoft will fight quietly inside of
    | itself about what it really is as a company — a partner to its customers, or
    | a parasite on the hide of productivity. *
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/Gardner/?p=2538

    Microsoft: My way or the highway with SOA?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft isn’t changing its tune with SOA, the authors say, noting
    | that “Microsoft again appears to be crafting its own rules and vision. The
    | company has so far declined to participate in certain key emerging industry
    | standards relevant to SOA. It has a different perspective on what SOA is and
    | a different approach for crystallizing its vision.“ * *
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/service-oriented/?p=931

    Microsoft absent from open standards movement around SOA

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Now, a new series of SOA standards is headed to OASIS, ones that could
    | create a whole market segment around SOA common programmatic principles,
    | but Microsoft is nowhere in sight. The absence of Microsoft from the
    | Service Component Architecture (SCA), and its sibling Service Data
    | Objects (SDO), definitions process can mean one thing: Microsoft will
    | pursue its proprietary approach of baking pseudo-SOA into its
    | operating system stack as long as it can.
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/Gardner/?p=2483

    Halloween Memo I Confirmed and Microsoft's History on Standards

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | *By the way, if you are by any chance trying to figure out Microsoft's policy
    | *toward standards, particularly in the context of ODF-EOXML, that same
    | *Microsoft page is revelatory, Microsoft's answer to what the memo meant when
    | *it said that Microsoft could extend standard protocols so as to deny
    | *Linux "entry into the market": * *
    |
    | * *Q: The first document talked about extending standard protocols as a way
    | * *to "deny OSS projects entry into the market." What does this mean?
    |
    | * *A: To better serve customers, Microsoft needs to innovate above standard
    | * *protocols. By innovating above the base protocol, we are able to deliver
    | * *advanced functionality to users. An example of this is adding
    | * *transactional support for DTC over HTTP. This would be a value-add and
    | * *would in no way break the standard or undermine the concept of standards,
    | * *of which Microsoft is a significant supporter. Yet it would allow us to
    | * *solve a class of problems in value chain integration for our Web-based
    | * *customers that are not solved by any public standard today. Microsoft
    | * *recognizes that customers are not served by implementations that are
    | * *different without adding value; we therefore support standards as the
    | * *foundation on which further innovation can be based. * * * * *
    `----

    Microsoft needs REST

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Yaron Goland defended his Microsoft colleague, Dare Objasanjo, as a poor
    | sitting duck. He justifies the decision to scrap APP as tactical and not
    | strategic. He states: “We considered this option but the changes needed to
    | make APP work for our scenarios were so fundamental that it wasn’t clear if
    | the resulting protocol would still be APP… I also have to admit that I was
    | deathly afraid of the political implications of Microsoft messing around with
    | APP.” According to Goland, “we couldn’t figure out how to use APP without
    | putting an unacceptable implementation and performance burden on both our
    | customers and ourselves.” * * *
    |
    | The implications for this APP vs. Web3S debate can potentially be enormous.
    | Just as we are on the brink of creating simple architectures that are
    | interoperable using simple standards, the industry risks splitting into
    | separate, incompatible camps again. It is probably no coincidence that we
    | have Microsoft on one side and Google, IBM and Sun on the other. This will be
    | a fundamental problem for enterprise customers if Microsoft extends this
    | strategy into any REST architectures that it introduces into the enterprise.
    | Any enterprise systems that expose their data using APP, which is likely in
    | the near future, will be incompatible with any Microsoft system that expose
    | their data with Web3S. * * * *
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/Newton/?p=14

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Plans to Do Things its Own Way on the Web

    > Microsoft plans smaller deals, 'independent' path
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Speaking to the Web 2.0 Summit in San Francisco, Ballmer would not comment
    > | directly on any potential acquisitions, but he said Microsoft's current focus
    > | is the "independent path."
    > |
    > | "If at some point it makes sense, maybe then it makes sense. But that's not
    > | where we are going. We are driving in an independent direction," said Ballmer
    > | in a question-and-answer session.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.reuters.com/article/marke...0071018?rpc=44

    "Shares of Microsoft rose 8 cents to $31.16 in Nasdaq trade." (on
    page 3)

    Fester is festering.

+ Reply to Thread