Learning Linux - Linux

This is a discussion on Learning Linux - Linux ; Hi all, I'm really wanting to *learn* Linux, could you reccomend any books/resouces to learn from? And what si the most important to learn first? TIA Eddie ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==---- http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service ...

  1. Learning Linux

    Hi all,

    I'm really wanting to *learn* Linux, could you reccomend any books/resouces
    to learn from? And what si the most important to learn first?

    TIA
    Eddie

  2. Re: Learning Linux

    I'm also pretty new to linux (just 4 months). I found this site to be
    pretty helpful when I started out.

    http://www.comptechdoc.org/os/linux/..._ugbasics.html

    That is just the basic commands there, but on the left hand side you
    will see more links to othe r options. They are kind of long reads,
    but written good enough to get a basic understanding of linux.

  3. Re: Learning Linux

    Very good source - thank you.

    wrote in message
    news:1111637701.012380.181810@o13g2000cwo.googlegr oups.com...
    > I'm also pretty new to linux (just 4 months). I found this site to be
    > pretty helpful when I started out.
    >
    > http://www.comptechdoc.org/os/linux/..._ugbasics.html
    >
    > That is just the basic commands there, but on the left hand side you
    > will see more links to othe r options. They are kind of long reads,
    > but written good enough to get a basic understanding of linux.

  4. Re: Learning Linux

    wrote in message
    news:1111637701.012380.181810@o13g2000cwo.googlegr oups.com...
    > I'm also pretty new to linux (just 4 months). I found this site to be
    > pretty helpful when I started out.
    >
    > http://www.comptechdoc.org/os/linux/..._ugbasics.html
    >
    > That is just the basic commands there, but on the left hand side you
    > will see more links to othe r options. They are kind of long reads,
    > but written good enough to get a basic understanding of linux.

    Thanks a lot. Great resource. I'm also looking for a good beginner's book
    (which also deals with the command line.) Anyone got any favourites?

    Eddie

  5. Re: Learning Linux

    * Eddie wrote in comp.os.linux:
    > wrote in message
    > news:1111637701.012380.181810@o13g2000cwo.googlegr oups.com...
    >> I'm also pretty new to linux (just 4 months). I found this site to be
    >> pretty helpful when I started out.

    >> http://www.comptechdoc.org/os/linux/..._ugbasics.html

    >> That is just the basic commands there, but on the left hand side you
    >> will see more links to othe r options. They are kind of long reads,
    >> but written good enough to get a basic understanding of linux.

    > Thanks a lot. Great resource. I'm also looking for a good beginner's book
    > (which also deals with the command line.) Anyone got any favourites?

    http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/cli.html

    If the below is intended to be a signature please precede it with
    DASHDASHSPACE "-- "

    David
    Why my thoughts are my own, when they are in, but when they are out they
    are another's.
    -- Susanna Martin, executed for witchcraft, 1681

  6. Re: Learning Linux

    Eddie wrote:
    > Thanks a lot. Great resource. I'm also looking for a good beginner's book
    > (which also deals with the command line.) Anyone got any favourites?

    I've suggested this to a few other starters, and they've mentioned it's
    quite useful:

    http://www.icon.co.za/~psheer/book/index.html.gz

    It's a little old, but where it comes from, not much has changed. A more
    up to date version (I believe) can be purchased from bookstores.

    HTH,

    ....Ric
    --
    Send email to Ric using: rdefrance_NO_SPAM_@_NO_SPAM_gmail.com
    Just remove both instances of "_NO_SPAM_"

  7. Re: Learning Linux

    Spake ric_man:
    > http://www.icon.co.za/~psheer/book/index.html.gz

    Awesome book. Thanks for the reference.

    --
    Trent Buck, Student Errant
    "Look, PHB, if you go for *NIX, you'll have to hire a *NIX admin, and

+ Reply to Thread