Ubuntu 7.10 - Linux

This is a discussion on Ubuntu 7.10 - Linux ; Just tried out the new release live CD on a Advent Vista laptop. Picks up Usb Mouse and amazingly all the short cut buttons work browser(Firefox), email(Evolution). Also the wireless detection is very good looks like this version of Ubuntu ...

  1. Ubuntu 7.10

    Just tried out the new release live CD on a Advent Vista laptop.
    Picks up Usb Mouse and amazingly all the short cut buttons work
    browser(Firefox), email(Evolution).
    Also the wireless detection is very good looks like this version of
    Ubuntu could really change things in the market place.

    Peter

  2. Re: Ubuntu 7.10

    On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 20:09:26 +0100, peter wrote:

    > Just tried out the new release live CD on a Advent Vista laptop. Picks
    > up Usb Mouse and amazingly all the short cut buttons work
    > browser(Firefox), email(Evolution).
    > Also the wireless detection is very good looks like this version of
    > Ubuntu could really change things in the market place.
    >

    > Peter

    I'm bloody amazed at the speed increase compared to 7.04/6.10. The only
    think I don't like is seeing the CPU pegged because of tracker, so I
    disabled it. I'm not sure what it does, but I'm not seeing any problems
    yet.

  3. Re: Ubuntu 7.10

    ____/ alt on Sunday 21 October 2007 22:13 : \____

    > On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 20:09:26 +0100, peter wrote:
    >
    >> Just tried out the new release live CD on a Advent Vista laptop. Picks
    >> up Usb Mouse and amazingly all the short cut buttons work
    >> browser(Firefox), email(Evolution).
    >> Also the wireless detection is very good looks like this version of
    >> Ubuntu could really change things in the market place.
    >>

    >> Peter

    > I'm bloody amazed at the speed increase compared to 7.04/6.10. The only
    > think I don't like is seeing the CPU pegged because of tracker, so I
    > disabled it. I'm not sure what it does, but I'm not seeing any problems
    > yet.

    I used 4.10 and 7.04 does not appear to offer much more unless you use GNOME.
    Actually, underneath the surface, it's only the update manager that changed a
    lot (new version of software aside) and even /for that/, I suppose logging in
    into GNOME every now and then is needed. The Ubuntu box I have at work uses
    kde-desktop (vanilla) not kubuntu desktop.

    Speaking of Ubuntu 4.10 (the first one), I used its live CD for a week while on
    vacation. It's still very good and picks up all the hardware without
    hesitation. Firefox 0.9.x is a bit of a pain because rendering is not perfect
    in some sites.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Othello for free: http://othellomaster.com
    Swap: 1510068k total, 327116k used, 1182952k free, 43532k cached

  4. Re: Ubuntu 7.10

    "Next week, a doctor with a flashlight shows us where sales projections
    come from."
    - Dogbert

  5. Re: Ubuntu 7.10

    On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 19:15:40 -0700, Jim Richardson wrote:

  6. Re: Ubuntu 7.10

    On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 21:13:22 +0000, alt wrote:

    > On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 20:09:26 +0100, peter wrote:
    >
    >> Just tried out the new release live CD on a Advent Vista laptop. Picks
    >> up Usb Mouse and amazingly all the short cut buttons work
    >> browser(Firefox), email(Evolution).
    >> Also the wireless detection is very good looks like this version of
    >> Ubuntu could really change things in the market place.
    >>

    >> Peter

    > I'm bloody amazed at the speed increase compared to 7.04/6.10. The only
    > think I don't like is seeing the CPU pegged because of tracker, so I
    > disabled it. I'm not sure what it does, but I'm not seeing any problems
    > yet.

    One thing I forgot to note, I was running JFS on 7.04 when I upgraded to
    7.10 (also JFS because it was an upgrade). JFS on its own improved system
    performance.

+ Reply to Thread