FYI: How Comcast blocks Bible downloads... - Linux

This is a discussion on FYI: How Comcast blocks Bible downloads... - Linux ; On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 17:22:19 -0400, Leythos wrote: >In article , >dennis@killspam.kicks-ass.net says... >> It will be ignored just like everything else you suggest. > >LOL > >Want to make you life easier? I use to see 300-500 messages ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 28 of 28

  1. Re: How Comcast blocks Bible downloads...

    On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 17:22:19 -0400, Leythos wrote:

    >In article ,
    >dennis@killspam.kicks-ass.net says...
    >> It will be ignored just like everything else you suggest.

    >LOL
    >
    >Want to make you life easier? I use to see 300-500 messages per day in
    >this group, but for the first time in a very LONG time I've implemented
    >a kill filter.
    >
    >I've setup the following filter:
    >
    >Subject contains "Linux"
    >Or
    >Subject contains "Ubuntu"
    >Or
    >Body contains "Ubuntu"
    >Or
    >Body contains "Linux"
    >Or
    >From contains "Adam Albright"
    >
    >Now it's a pleasure to read the group again.

    Proves what a dummy you are. You didn't filter out Frank. The biggest
    whiner here.

  2. Re: How Comcast blocks Bible downloads...

    Adam Albright wrote:

    > On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 17:22:19 -0400, Leythos wrote:
    >

    >>In article ,
    >>dennis@killspam.kicks-ass.net says...
    >>
    >>>It will be ignored just like everything else you suggest.

    >>LOL
    >>
    >>Want to make you life easier? I use to see 300-500 messages per day in
    >>this group, but for the first time in a very LONG time I've implemented
    >>a kill filter.
    >>
    >>I've setup the following filter:
    >>
    >>Subject contains "Linux"
    >>Or
    >>Subject contains "Ubuntu"
    >>Or
    >>Body contains "Ubuntu"
    >>Or
    >>Body contains "Linux"
    >>Or

    >>From contains "Adam Albright"

    >>Now it's a pleasure to read the group again.

    > Proves what a dummy you are. You didn't filter out Frank. The biggest
    > whiner here.

    Nah...he got you...the biggest as*hole ever to post on any ng.
    Frank

  3. Re: How Comcast blocks Bible downloads...

    Adam Albright wrote:

    ---------stupid, ignorant bs deleted-----------------------

    You're blinded by your own ego and stupidity. You can't see that fool
    staring back at you when you look into a mirror.
    You blame all of your inadequacies and failures on someone else. How
    convenient!
    You're a spineless, ball-less pig of a human being who canít even use
    your real name in an ng.
    My advice to you...go fukk yourself as*hole.
    Frank

  4. Re: How Comcast blocks Bible downloads...

    HeyBub wrote:
    > 7 wrote:
    >> Comcast$ astroturfer Robin wrote on behalf of Comcast$:
    >>
    >>> How do you expect Jesus to collect his royalties if we're
    >>> to allow the Bible to be freely distributed on BitTorrent?
    >>>
    >>> Stealing is stealing!

    >> Jesus shares his bible and doesn't call it stealing. Its
    >> called spreading of the word.
    >>
    >> Only heathens worshipping the devil call it stealing. Only
    >> heathens listen to devils and astroturf on behalf of
    >> Comcast$ management pretending it all to be otherwise for
    >> the sake of 30 pieces of silver.

    > It is stealing. Almost all Bible translations are copyrighted.
    > But that shouldn't stop you.

    According to:

    http://www.crosswire.org/sword/index.jsp

    The SWORD Project is the CrossWire Bible Society's free Bible
    software project. Its purpose is to create cross-platform
    open-source tools-- covered by the GNU General Public License--
    that allow programmers and Bible societies to write new Bible
    software more quickly and easily. We also create Bible study
    software for all readers, students, scholars, and translators of
    the Bible, and have a growing collection of over 200 texts in
    over 50 languages.
    downloading these 200 texts is not stealing.

    > For about 300 years, the teaching of Jesus were transmitted
    > orally.* Simply memorize the text and you won't have to
    > violate the law. After all, Jesus said: "Render unto the
    > copyright holders ..."
    >
    > ------ *The earliest written example of NT text is a bit of
    > parchment about 2" square from the Book of John and dated to
    > middle of the third century A.D.

    http://www.crosswire.org/sword/about/index.jsp

    Has a statement regarding its purpose.

    From what I gather, the Sword Project is an Open Source effort
    and has been very careful to not include texts for which they
    cannot obtain copyright permission. Versions that remain
    copyrighted and therefore not included include New American
    Standard Bible (NASB), New International Version (NIV), Revised
    Standard Version (RSV), New King James Version (NKJV), and etc.

    Following is per their "License and Copyright" web page:

    http://www.crosswire.org/sword/about/license.jsp

    Software

    Software produced by the CrossWire Bible Society is released
    under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL). In
    short, this license permits free usage of the software for any
    purpose, provided the source code is made freely available for
    the software and any derivitive is also released under the GNU
    General Public License. The texts distributed with the software
    need not be released under any particular license. Publishers are
    free to distribute this software with their copyrighted texts,
    provided notice that the software is freely available is
    displayed in a conspicuous place. For detailed information about
    the GNU General Public License visit http://www.gnu.org.

    Module Add-ins

    Text Module Add-ins made available for software on our site hold
    differing copyrights. Each module contains About information
    detailing the terms of which each text is released. Many texts
    that have been made compatible with our software are not yet
    distributable by CrossWire Bible Society. If you would like to
    help secure permission from a publisher for a particular text,
    please visit our copyright website,
    http://www.crosswire.org/sword/copyright/, for details on how you
    can help.
    http://www.crosswire.org/sword/modul...modType=Bibles

    These texts are free downloads to use with their software. (Only
    English versions have been shown, there are other selections in
    other languages):

    Language: en
    No. Name Description
    1 AB The Apostle's Bible
    2 ACV A Conservative Version
    3 AKJV American King James Version
    4 ALT Analytical-Literal Translation
    5 ASV American Standard Version (1901)
    6 BBE Bible in Basic English (1949/1964)
    7 BWE Bible in Worldwide English
    8 Common The Common Edition: New Testament
    9 DRC Douay-Rheims Bible, Challoner Revision
    10 Darby Darby Bible (1889)
    11 EMTV English Majority Text Version
    12 ESV English Standard Version
    13 Geneva1599 Geneva Bible (1599)
    14 GodsWord GOD'S WORD Translation
    15 HNV Hebrew Names Version of the World English Bible
    16 ISV International Standard Version
    17 JPS Jewish Publication Society Old Testament
    18 Jubilee2000 English Jubilee 2000 Bible
    19 KJV King James Version (1769) with Strongs Numbers

    and Morphology
    20 LITV Green's Literal Translation
    21 LO The Living Oracles NT
    22 MKJV Green's Modern King James Version
    23 Montgomery Montgomery New Testament
    24 Murdock James Murdock's Translation of the Syriac
    Pe****ta
    25 OrthJBC The Orthodox Jewish Brit Chadasha
    26 RKJNT Revised King James New Testament
    27 RNKJV Restored Name King James Version
    28 RWebster Revised Webster Version (1833)
    29 Rotherham The Emphasized Bible by J. B. Rotherham
    30 Twenty Twentieth Century New Testament
    31 Tyndale William Tyndale Bible (1525/1530)
    32 UKJV Updated King James Version
    33 WEB World English Bible
    34 Webster Webster Bible
    35 Weymouth Weymouth NT (1912)
    36 YLT Young's Literal Translation (1898)

    They have software versions for Linux and Microsoft Windows. In
    Linux there is the choice of a Gnome version called "Gnome Sword"
    and KDE version called "BibleTime".

    --
    HPT

  5. Re: How Comcast blocks Bible downloads...

    High Plains Thumper wrote:
    > HeyBub wrote:
    >> 7 wrote:

    >>> Jesus shares his bible and doesn't call it stealing. Its called
    >>> spreading of the word.
    >>>
    >>> Only heathens worshipping the devil call it stealing. Only heathens
    >>> listen to devils and astroturf on behalf of Comcast$ management
    >>> pretending it all to be otherwise for the sake of 30 pieces of silver.

    >> It is stealing. Almost all Bible translations are copyrighted.
    >> But that shouldn't stop you.

    > According to:
    >
    > http://www.crosswire.org/sword/index.jsp
    >

    > The SWORD Project is the CrossWire Bible Society's free Bible software
    > project. Its purpose is to create cross-platform open-source tools--
    > covered by the GNU General Public License-- that allow programmers and
    > Bible societies to write new Bible software more quickly and easily. We
    > also create Bible study software for all readers, students, scholars,
    > and translators of the Bible, and have a growing collection of over 200
    > texts in over 50 languages.
    >

    > downloading these 200 texts is not stealing.

    It's not stealing. A majority of bible translations currently in use
    are public domain; Commieca$t is just making excuses.

    --
    Nick Ballard

    Registered Linux User #328691
    Student, Activist, Corporate Phone-Jockey
    http://killingus.blogspot.com

  6. Re: How Comcast blocks Bible downloads...

    Silence is one of the most effective forms of communication.

  7. Re: How Comcast blocks Bible downloads...

    Jim Richardson wrote:
    > On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 10:11:18 -0500,
    > HeyBub wrote:

    Actually, if you go to the SWORD website, you can have all the
    translations of the Bible you desire. Plus, there are Strongs
    concordance and word interpretive study guides.

    If you run Linux, SWORD is on all the servers, grab it in Mepis easily,
    as it is listed in Synaptic on the repositories, as are 20+ tools to
    read, look up, research the various Bibles. In Synaptic, the search
    term is Sword or Bible.

    Macs have free access, also.

    Over 50 different translations are at SWORD, for most platforms.

    There, that should keep the beggars busy for awhile!

  8. Re: How Comcast blocks Bible downloads...

    you can download a legally free bible from gutenberg.org

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2