What distro, what hardware, for C++ programming? - Linux

This is a discussion on What distro, what hardware, for C++ programming? - Linux ; For fun I code. I have this hardware below. Please advise, as I might, just for kicks, try installing Linux in an old machine. RL > Since I hobby > program, pls feel free to tell me which distro and ...

  1. What distro, what hardware, for C++ programming?

    For fun I code. I have this hardware below. Please advise, as I
    might, just for kicks, try installing Linux in an old machine.

    RL

    > Since I hobby
    > program, pls feel free to tell me which distro and what program will
    > allow me to do console C++ in Linux. I have an old 2GB HD Pentium 2
    > machine that I can convert into LinuxOS, though frankly last I checked
    > nearly no Linux distro will support such meager hardware.

    Update: I have a 40 GB HD I can also install, if that helps.

    I'll repost this in a seperate thread.

    RL

  2. Re: What distro, what hardware, for C++ programming?

    raylopez99 did eloquently scribble:
    > For fun I code. I have this hardware below. Please advise, as I
    > might, just for kicks, try installing Linux in an old machine.

    > RL

    >> Since I hobby
    >> program, pls feel free to tell me which distro and what program will
    >> allow me to do console C++ in Linux. I have an old 2GB HD Pentium 2
    >> machine that I can convert into LinuxOS, though frankly last I checked
    >> nearly no Linux distro will support such meager hardware.
    >>

    > Update: I have a 40 GB HD I can also install, if that helps.

    > I'll repost this in a seperate thread.

    Um, my first linux managed to fit on a 400 MEG hard drive. (and that
    included X)

    All you have to do is pick and choose packages. If you're planning on C++
    programming on the console, you don't need X, which means KDE/Gnome aren't
    taking up space.

    You could easily fit gcc plus all the usual non-X support stuff on a 1Gig
    partition and still have plenty to play with.

    Distros DO still offer various package sets at install y'know.
    (Such as minimal install, Basic X install, etc)
    | in |good to you so far... |

  3. Re: What distro, what hardware, for C++ programming?

    raylopez99 wrote:

    < snip cretins garbage >

    .:\:/:.
    .:\:\:/:/:.
    :.:\:\:/:/:.: DO
    :=.' - - '.=: NOT
    '=(\ 9 9 /)=' FEED
    ( (_) ) THE
    /-vvv-'\ TROLLS!
    / \
    / /|,,,,,|\ \
    /_// /^\ \\_\
    WW( ( ) )WW
    __\,,\ /,,/__
    (______Y______)

  4. Re: What distro, what hardware, for C++ programming?

    On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 02:24:26 -0700, raylopez99 wrote:

    > For fun I code. I have this hardware below. Please advise, as I
    > might, just for kicks, try installing Linux in an old machine.
    >
    > RL
    >
    >> Since I hobby
    >> program, pls feel free to tell me which distro and what program will
    >> allow me to do console C++ in Linux. I have an old 2GB HD Pentium 2
    >> machine that I can convert into LinuxOS, though frankly last I checked
    >> nearly no Linux distro will support such meager hardware.
    >>

    > Update: I have a 40 GB HD I can also install, if that helps.
    >
    > I'll repost this in a seperate thread.

    Debian would be a reasonable choice, IMO, since you can install just what
    you want (try their net install. Or Slackware.

    --
    Kier

  5. Re: What distro, what hardware, for C++ programming?

    On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 02:24:26 -0700, raylopez99 wrote:

    > For fun I code. I have this hardware below. Please advise, as I
    > might, just for kicks, try installing Linux in an old machine.
    >
    > RL
    >
    >> Since I hobby
    >> program, pls feel free to tell me which distro and what program will
    >> allow me to do console C++ in Linux. I have an old 2GB HD Pentium 2
    >> machine that I can convert into LinuxOS, though frankly last I checked
    >> nearly no Linux distro will support such meager hardware.
    >>

    > Update: I have a 40 GB HD I can also install, if that helps.
    >
    > I'll repost this in a seperate thread.
    >
    > RL

    Visit distrowatch.com and pick one.

  6. Re: What distro, what hardware, for C++ programming?

    On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 02:24:26 -0700, raylopez99 wrote:

    > For fun I code. I have this hardware below. Please advise, as I
    > might, just for kicks, try installing Linux in an old machine.
    >
    > RL
    >
    >> Since I hobby
    >> program, pls feel free to tell me which distro and what program will
    >> allow me to do console C++ in Linux. I have an old 2GB HD Pentium 2
    >> machine that I can convert into LinuxOS, though frankly last I checked
    >> nearly no Linux distro will support such meager hardware.
    >>

    > Update: I have a 40 GB HD I can also install, if that helps.
    >
    > I'll repost this in a seperate thread.
    >
    > RL

    What rubbish, you can't have checked with anyone who knows anything about
    Linux, because you would have been told that Linux can be ran on very
    'meagre' hardware.

    Now, lets try that sentence with the word Vista or XP in it shall we.

  7. Re: What distro, what hardware, for C++ programming?

    On Oct 21, 2:34 am, spi...@freenet.co.uk wrote:

    Thanks. I've archived this thread for future reference.

    Apparently "gcc" is the C++ front end compiler of choice. And it's
    interesting that they do have a "Linux emulation" mode for Windows:
    http://gcc.gnu.org/install/specific.html#windows called "Cygwin".

    So I think I'll not bother with switching to Linux OS, instead I'll
    try coding C++ for Linux from inside of Cygwin program while using the
    gcc compiler.

    Or, since I have a lot of serious coding to do, I'll just stick the
    the gold standard: MS Visual Studio for Windows, using the MSFT
    proprietary but supposedly in theory platform-neutral programming
    language of choice, managed C#.NET using the Forms library, which is
    pretty awesome.

    Why play ball in the minor leagues if you're already in the major
    league?

    RL

  8. Re: What distro, what hardware, for C++ programming?

    raylopez99 did eloquently scribble:
    > On Oct 21, 2:34 am, spi...@freenet.co.uk wrote:

    > Thanks. I've archived this thread for future reference.

    > Apparently "gcc" is the C++ front end compiler of choice. And it's
    > interesting that they do have a "Linux emulation" mode for Windows:
    > http://gcc.gnu.org/install/specific.html#windows called "Cygwin".

    > So I think I'll not bother with switching to Linux OS, instead I'll
    > try coding C++ for Linux from inside of Cygwin program while using the
    > gcc compiler.

    > Or, since I have a lot of serious coding to do, I'll just stick the
    > the gold standard: MS Visual Studio for Windows,

    Oh, WHAT a surprise.

    using the MSFT
    > proprietary but supposedly in theory platform-neutral programming
    > language of choice, managed C#.NET

    At least you used the word "supposedly" there.

    > Why play ball in the minor leagues if you're already in the major
    > league?

    Because the team your playing for is the most hated team in the world, known
    for cheating, swindling and corruption, even forcing minor league teams out
    of business by dirty business practices (such as buying their baseball court
    amd turning it into a car park or attempting to patent common baseball
    moves?)

  9. Re: What distro, what hardware, for C++ programming?

    On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 20:41:09 -0700, raylopez99 wrote:

    > So I think I'll not bother with switching to Linux OS, instead I'll
    > try coding C++ for Linux from inside of Cygwin program while using the
    > gcc compiler.
    >
    > Or, since I have a lot of serious coding to do, I'll just stick the
    > the gold standard: MS Visual Studio for Windows, using the MSFT
    > proprietary but supposedly in theory platform-neutral programming
    > language of choice, managed C#.NET using the Forms library, which is
    > pretty awesome.
    >
    > Why play ball in the minor leagues if you're already in the major
    > league?

    Why bother to ask about switching to Linux when you had no intention
    whatever of doing so? In future, just stick to your pathetic trolling and
    don't waste the time of the genuine advocates who made an effort to try
    to help you.

    --
    Kier

+ Reply to Thread