[News] Tesco Preinstalls GNU/Linux on PCs! - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Tesco Preinstalls GNU/Linux on PCs! - Linux ; Tesco, Every little helps... ,----[ Quote ] | Tesco are selling computers with Ubuntu pre-installed. `---- http://daviey.mooo.com/uncategorized...tle-helps.html Recent: Currys group blames Vista for poor sales ,----[ Quote ] | DSG, the group behind Currys and PC World, has warned that ...

  1. [News] Tesco Preinstalls GNU/Linux on PCs!

    `----

    http://daviey.mooo.com/uncategorized...tle-helps.html

    Recent:

    Currys group blames Vista for poor sales

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | DSG, the group behind Currys and PC World, has warned that poor sales of
    | Vista could slash its profits by around £20 million.
    `----

    http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/131507/c...oor-sales.html

    DSG continues retailer woes

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | DSG, the company formerly known as Dixons, became the latest British retailer
    | to report a drop in profits for the summer months today. But it wasn’t all
    | down to the rotten weather – this time it was also Microsoft’s fault.
    `----

    http://www.managementtoday.co.uk/new...retailer-woes/

    Related:

    | Financial Times Deutschland on Monday. *

    | Lenovo.

    `----

    http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/...SS&NewsID=9579

    Microsoft admits Vista screwed - report

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Vista SP1 is code named "Fiji", presumably after a pretty looking
    | island which is paralysed by coups.
    |
    | In a statement regarding the service pack Microsoft admits that
    | Vista has "high impact" problems.
    `----

    Microsoft Vista Waster

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Computer and software manufacturers have turned computers from a convenient
    | tool to a means of dictating to us what to buy next.
    `----

    http://flyingimam.blogspot.com/2007/...ta-waster.html

    Why the Unbundling Windows Sceptics are Wrong

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft has introduced a number of measures in recent versions of Windows
    | which are designed to stop piracy of Windows. In effect, they have provided
    | their own answer to this question.
    `----

    http://www.cybersource.com.au/users/...are_wrong.html

  2. Re: [News] Tesco Preinstalls GNU/Linux on PCs!

    [H]omer wrote:

    >> Tesco, Every little helps...
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> Tesco are selling computers with Ubuntu pre-installed.

    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://daviey.mooo.com/uncategorized...tle-helps.html

    > YES!!!
    >
    > I predicted this is conversation with Mark some time ago, although I
    > was talking about media boxes IIRC.
    >
    > Yup, when you start seeing Linux boxen sold by British supermarket
    > chains, that's when you know it's reached standard commodity status.

    Unfortunately it requires an adult to sign for upon delivery, so many Linux
    developers will have to get Moms to sign...

    http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.200-3224...t.y%3d291.aspx

  3. Re: [News] Tesco Preinstalls GNU/Linux on PCs!

    On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 19:45:39 +0100, [H]omer wrote:

    >> Tesco, Every little helps...
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | Tesco are selling computers with Ubuntu pre-installed.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://daviey.mooo.com/uncategorized...tle-helps.html

    > YES!!!
    >
    > I predicted this is conversation with Mark some time ago, although I was
    > talking about media boxes IIRC.
    >
    > Yup, when you start seeing Linux boxen sold by British supermarket
    > chains, that's when you know it's reached standard commodity status.

    This will mean more to the general English man than the Dell thing.

    But I can't help wondering if Tescos is the right vendor. There are bound
    to be people buying a Linux machine and pick up some PC game or something
    on the way to the tills. People will buy Linux and not have the faintest
    idea of what they have bought, do we really want this?

    The only saving grace there is that Tescos are amazingly good when it
    comes to taking software back. All of those people who bought software for
    their Vista's only to have to take it back for a refund, have all learnt
    that Tescos customers services are much better than PC World, Curries and
    {that other one, I've forgotten its name}.

    Personally I think it might help if Tesco selected Linspire as the default
    distro, including a years access to the Gold Linspire account (if they
    still do that).

  4. Re: [News] Tesco Preinstalls GNU/Linux on PCs!

    Micoshaft Asstroturfer DFS wrote:

    > [H]omer wrote:
    >>
    >>> Tesco, Every little helps...
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://daviey.mooo.com/uncategorized...tle-helps.html

    >> YES!!!
    >>
    >> I predicted this is conversation with Mark some time ago, although I
    >> was talking about media boxes IIRC.
    >>
    >> Yup, when you start seeing Linux boxen sold by British supermarket
    >> chains, that's when you know it's reached standard commodity status.

    > Unfortunately it requires an adult to sign for upon delivery, so many
    > Linux developers will have to get Moms to sign...

    You purile pratt!! Go to your teacher and preach some Linux now!
    http://www.livecdlist.com
    http://www.distrowatch.com

    > http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.200-3224.../btnResultSort.

    %3d291.aspx

  5. Re: [News] Tesco Preinstalls GNU/Linux on PCs!

    ____/ [H]omer on Monday 22 October 2007 11:07 : \____

    > Verily I say unto thee, that BearItAll spake thusly:
    >> On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 19:45:39 +0100, [H]omer wrote:

    >>> Yup, when you start seeing Linux boxen sold by British supermarket
    >>> chains, that's when you know it's reached standard commodity
    >>> status.

    >> This will mean more to the general English man than the Dell thing.

    > Yes, when you mention Dell to the average British punter, I'd be willing
    > to bet many couldn't even tell you exactly what it is, and of those who
    > could, you'd likely just get a scathing comment and a look of disdain
    > (IME).
    >
    >> But I can't help wondering if Tescos is the right vendor.

    > Well they are Britain's /biggest/ retailer. You can't get much more
    > exposure than /that/ in Blighty.
    >
    >> There are bound to be people buying a Linux machine and pick up some
    >> PC game or something on the way to the tills. People will buy Linux
    >> and not have the faintest idea of what they have bought, do we really
    >> want this?

    > IME few of the kind of people who buy PCs in high-street shops have a
    > clue about PCs or operating systems of /any/ kind. If you're going to
    > get your feet wet, you may as well do it with a /real/ OS like Linux.
    >
    >> Tescos customers services are much better than PC World, Curries and
    >> {that other one, I've forgotten its name}.

    > Three more ... The Link, Mastercare and Dixons (all part of the Dixons
    > Stores Group: DSG). Although IIRC they sold The Link to o2, or BT
    > Cellnet as they used to be known, before they changed the name to try to
    > hide from their horrendous reputation.
    >
    >> Personally I think it might help if Tesco selected Linspire as the
    >> default distro, including a years access to the Gold Linspire account
    >> (if they still do that).

    > Egads no! I'd sooner they were given Slowlaris than be subjected to one
    > of the Monkey-Club distros.
    >
    > I just tried Fedora 8 test 3, and even though I'm bound to be a little
    > biased when it comes to Fedora, I have to say that it surprised even me.
    > It is very, /very/ slick indeed, and it's not even /ready/ yet. Tesco
    > could do worse ... much worse. Failing that, Mandriva is gorgeous and
    > just as easy. Heck ... give them Slackware 12 ... have you seen /that/
    > baby recently? I'll stop short at recommending Gentoo though ...

    Not to mention the fact that Linspire's days appear to be numbered.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | HTML is for page layout, not for textual messages
    run-level 2 2007-10-16 15:14 last=

  6. Re: [News] Tesco Preinstalls GNU/Linux on PCs!

    ____/ [H]omer on Monday 22 October 2007 12:09 : \____

    > Verily I say unto thee, that 7 spake thusly:
    >> Micoshaft Asstroturfer DFS wrote:

    >>> Unfortunately it requires an adult to sign for upon delivery, so
    >>> many Linux developers will have to get Moms to sign...

    > At least they /can/ write. I hear that delivery of Windows boxen merely
    > requires the recipient to drool on the invoice.
    >
    >> You purile pratt!!

    > Nonsense. DooFy isn't old enough to be puerile. Wait until he outgrows
    > his crayons and Microsoft embroidered security blanket, /then/ you can
    > call him puerile.
    >
    >> Go to your teacher and preach some Linux now!

    > Teaching assumes that one's pupil has the ability to learn, and I'm
    > afraid DooFy lacks that capacity. Just give him a soft toy, and some
    > paste ... he likes paste.

    Don't get 7 started in "Pista".

    >> http://www.livecdlist.com http://www.distrowatch.com

    > Oh dear God, don't send him there ... he'll die of a brain haemorrhage
    > induced by being forced to make an actual /decision/. Choice confuses
    > people like DooFy. Choice is bad. Choice is evil. Just let Uncle Sweaty
    > make DooFy's choices for him, it's safer. See, you almost made him cry.
    >
    >>> http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.200-3224.../btnResultSort

    %3d291.aspx

    > Oops, too late.
    >
    > Oh well. Maybe we could just stick him in a cupboard 'till he stops
    > crying. Now, stop making DooFy cry, and help me find his dummy ... no
    > /not/ Hadron ... the /other/ dummy.

    The other dummy is a quack. Good riddance (for now).

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Modern man is the missing link between Neanderthals and the civilised man
    Cpu(s): 26.4%us, 4.4%sy, 1.0%ni, 64.1%id, 3.7%wa, 0.2%hi, 0.1%si, 0.0%st

  7. Re: [News] Tesco Preinstalls GNU/Linux on PCs!

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ [H]omer on Monday 22 October 2007 11:07 : \____
    >
    >> Verily I say unto thee, that BearItAll spake thusly:

    >>> This will mean more to the general English man than the Dell thing.

    >> Yes, when you mention Dell to the average British punter, I'd be willing
    >> to bet many couldn't even tell you exactly what it is, and of those who
    >> could, you'd likely just get a scathing comment and a look of disdain
    >> (IME).
    >>
    >>> But I can't help wondering if Tescos is the right vendor.

    >> Well they are Britain's /biggest/ retailer. You can't get much more
    >> exposure than /that/ in Blighty.
    >>
    >>> There are bound to be people buying a Linux machine and pick up some
    >>> PC game or something on the way to the tills. People will buy Linux
    >>> and not have the faintest idea of what they have bought, do we really
    >>> want this?

    >> IME few of the kind of people who buy PCs in high-street shops have a
    >> clue about PCs or operating systems of /any/ kind. If you're going to
    >> get your feet wet, you may as well do it with a /real/ OS like Linux.
    >>
    >>> Tescos customers services are much better than PC World, Curries and
    >>> {that other one, I've forgotten its name}.

    >> Three more ... The Link, Mastercare and Dixons (all part of the Dixons
    >> Stores Group: DSG). Although IIRC they sold The Link to o2, or BT
    >> Cellnet as they used to be known, before they changed the name to try to
    >> hide from their horrendous reputation.
    >>
    >>> Personally I think it might help if Tesco selected Linspire as the
    >>> default distro, including a years access to the Gold Linspire account
    >>> (if they still do that).

    >> Egads no! I'd sooner they were given Slowlaris than be subjected to one
    >> of the Monkey-Club distros.
    >>
    >> I just tried Fedora 8 test 3, and even though I'm bound to be a little
    >> biased when it comes to Fedora, I have to say that it surprised even me.
    >> It is very, /very/ slick indeed, and it's not even /ready/ yet. Tesco
    >> could do worse ... much worse. Failing that, Mandriva is gorgeous and
    >> just as easy. Heck ... give them Slackware 12 ... have you seen /that/
    >> baby recently? I'll stop short at recommending Gentoo though ...
    >>

    > Not to mention the fact that Linspire's days appear to be numbered.

    Putting the Linspire-MS thing asside (and I personally wouldn't put that
    agreement in the same class as Novell-MS, because it was for different
    reasons). Even before that agreement Linspire users paid so that Linspire
    could licence media stuff as part of the package, in that sence I have no
    problem with a Linspire-MS agreement.

    But Linspire the product is extraordinarily easy for home users who want a
    computer but don't want to learn linux. They just want to use a computer,
    browse the internet, play a tune, watch a video write a letter etc.

    All the user does is pop in or boot the small download. Let it take over the
    machine, the defaults of the install are fine, for a client, then they get
    the browser page to sign up to Linspire. Select the software and can
    guarentee that what ever they select off the Linspire site will work, with
    no effort on their part, oh sorry, they have to click a button, so people
    without fingers might have difficulty.

    If at some time the PC dies, or just a drive goes, then once the user is
    back online, he logs into Linspire and everything he has ever bought from
    the commercial packages or selected from the free packages is brought back
    onboard and set up for him. It really is a distro where everything is done
    for you.

    All of that does have a down side obviously, I've mentioned here before,
    such as:-
    It is very much a client, many services we might now take for granted are
    not part of Linspire. Is that good or bad? Well it is simple, if you have a
    home server then you have lost nothing from using Linspire. Also, I suppose
    that if the users don't know what services are missing, then chances are
    they wouldn't miss them

    I said on here (just looked it up to see how long ago it was now) just over
    a year ago, that I put someone on Linspire, he is still on it. He has a
    different PC now and had done what I said above, minimum install - connect
    to the internet - log into Linspire - let it install all of his software.

    Isn't that how easy we would like computing to be for people? Some on here
    like the oily rags, I used to myself, but not now, now all I do at a
    computer is use it. My choice is openSuse, but I wouldn't feel the least
    abashed putting Linspire in it's place.

  8. Re: [News] Tesco Preinstalls GNU/Linux on PCs!

    [H]omer espoused:
    > Verily I say unto thee, that BearItAll spake thusly:
    >> On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 19:45:39 +0100, [H]omer wrote:

    >>> Yup, when you start seeing Linux boxen sold by British supermarket
    >>> chains, that's when you know it's reached standard commodity
    >>> status.

    >> This will mean more to the general English man than the Dell thing.

    > Yes, when you mention Dell to the average British punter, I'd be willing
    > to bet many couldn't even tell you exactly what it is, and of those who
    > could, you'd likely just get a scathing comment and a look of disdain
    > (IME).
    >
    >> But I can't help wondering if Tescos is the right vendor.

    > Well they are Britain's /biggest/ retailer. You can't get much more
    > exposure than /that/ in Blighty.

    They're *all* the right vendor. Tesco, in particular, are the ultimate
    commodity sales channel in the UK, and also have significant presence
    outside the UK, too.

    >> There are bound to be people buying a Linux machine and pick up some
    >> PC game or something on the way to the tills. People will buy Linux
    >> and not have the faintest idea of what they have bought, do we really
    >> want this?

    > IME few of the kind of people who buy PCs in high-street shops have a
    > clue about PCs or operating systems of /any/ kind. If you're going to
    > get your feet wet, you may as well do it with a /real/ OS like Linux.

    People make mistakes, but it won't matter. Tescos will take returns as
    normal, and people will learn.

    Most people do *not* buy a computer to play games, they buy a games
    console, because making games work on PCs is notoriously difficult,
    whereas on consoles, you plug in the cartridge or disk and they just
    work.

    >> Tescos customers services are much better than PC World, Curries and
    >> {that other one, I've forgotten its name}.

    > Three more ... The Link, Mastercare and Dixons (all part of the Dixons
    > Stores Group: DSG). Although IIRC they sold The Link to o2, or BT
    > Cellnet as they used to be known, before they changed the name to try to
    > hide from their horrendous reputation.

    The Link was a joint-venture between BT and DSG.

    O2 is now Telefonica.

    >> Personally I think it might help if Tesco selected Linspire as the
    >> default distro, including a years access to the Gold Linspire account
    >> (if they still do that).

    > Egads no! I'd sooner they were given Slowlaris than be subjected to one
    > of the Monkey-Club distros.

    Some people have highly negotiable values...

    > I just tried Fedora 8 test 3, and even though I'm bound to be a little
    > biased when it comes to Fedora, I have to say that it surprised even me.
    > It is very, /very/ slick indeed, and it's not even /ready/ yet. Tesco
    > could do worse ... much worse. Failing that, Mandriva is gorgeous and
    > just as easy. Heck ... give them Slackware 12 ... have you seen /that/
    > baby recently? I'll stop short at recommending Gentoo though ...

    For a pre-install, though, it won't matter all that much. Most people
    only ever do email, web-surfing, maybe playing some MP3s or a video, a
    bit of IM, maybe access facebook, google, youtube, and perhaps write the
    occasional document or spreadsheet.

    So long as you have a pre-install which covers all of the above, for 99%
    of real users, they will be fine.

  9. Re: [News] Tesco Preinstalls GNU/Linux on PCs!

    ____/ Mark Kent on Wednesday 24 October 2007 08:26 : \____

    >> IME few of the kind of people who buy PCs in high-street shops have a
    >> clue about PCs or operating systems of any kind. If you're going to
    >> get your feet wet, you may as well do it with a real OS like Linux.

    > People make mistakes, but it won't matter. *Tescos will take returns as
    > normal, and people will learn.

    Do remember that "Linux PC won't run people games" is an argument that's passe.
    With Vista becoming the only other options, many games will meet the **grave**
    anyway.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Proprietary cripples communication
    Tasks: 112 total, 1 running, 111 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie

  10. Re: [News] Tesco Preinstalls GNU/Linux on PCs!

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ Mark Kent on Wednesday 24 October 2007 08:26 : \____
    >
    >>> IME few of the kind of people who buy PCs in high-street shops have a
    >>> clue about PCs or operating systems of any kind. If you're going to
    >>> get your feet wet, you may as well do it with a real OS like Linux.

    >> People make mistakes, but it won't matter. *Tescos will take returns as
    >> normal, and people will learn.

    > Do remember that "Linux PC won't run people games" is an argument that's passe.
    > With Vista becoming the only other options, many games will meet the **grave**
    > anyway.

    It does illustrate how badly wrong Microsoft have gone with Windows, but
    if you consider the complexity of their code-base, their badly broken
    internal politics, their despite for their own customers, and their
    arrogance, then I think the final result was completely inevitable.

    I've been saying here for a few years that proprietary software is
    essentially dead, indeed, as is the desktop PC. Consider usage like
    this:

    When home computers were first born, they were little 8-bit affairs,
    which displayed on a domestic television, probably had a rom basic, and
    a cassette drive for saving and loading software. Some later machines
    had diskette drives, but they were tiny and very slow.

    For most owners, they were toys & tools for specific jobs. We would
    write software, or type it in laboriously from a listing, hoping to save
    it to cassette before the machine crashed in some way. There were early
    word processors for driving dot-matrix printers, but the results were
    not that great. First generation games were almost entirely text based,
    because the graphics engines were just not up to the job.

    However, the most popular usage for the real "enthusiasts" was getting
    online, with a modem, and connecting to BBSs, perhaps by radio or
    perhaps by telephone.

    So, where did it end up? Facebook now has 47 Million *active* users.
    That's an enormous population, and they do not care one jot about /how/
    they access facebook, they just want to access it. It could be using a
    PS3 running linux, a library PC running anything at all, a Nokia 810, an
    Ubuntu desktop. It doesn't matter at all.

    Same thing for IM, email, mp3 playing, and so on.

    Real people couldn't give a monkey's what the technology is, so long as
    they can do what they want to do. The argument that the world "wants
    Windows", so beloved of our Microsoft shilcosystem in cola, is quite
    wrong; the world wants Facebook and Google and so on.

    Next generation televisions are almost certain to start including
    linux-based computers. Once that happens, coupled with the PS3-like
    console-come-PCs, and web tablets, and smartphones, what would most
    people even want a PC for?

  11. Re: [News] Tesco Preinstalls GNU/Linux on PCs!

    Mark Kent wrote:

    > I've been saying here for a few years that proprietary software is
    > essentially dead, indeed, as is the desktop PC.

    I'm sure you have. You're absolutely clueless.

    > Real people couldn't give a monkey's what the technology is, so long
    > as they can do what they want to do. The argument that the world
    > "wants Windows", so beloved of our Microsoft shilcosystem in cola, is
    > quite wrong; the world wants Facebook and Google and so on.

    Then the Linux systems at Tesco will sell as well as the Windows systems
    (and when they don't - and they won't - your ilk will make up a dozen more
    excuses and keep blaming MS).

    > Next generation televisions are almost certain to start including
    > linux-based computers. Once that happens, coupled with the PS3-like
    > console-come-PCs, and web tablets, and smartphones, what would most
    > people even want a PC for?

    For work and recreation. duh.

+ Reply to Thread