Who uses Linux here, seriously? - Linux

This is a discussion on Who uses Linux here, seriously? - Linux ; Seriously, is anybody really using Linux for personal use? From the posts here most people seem to be posting from work, and, like our fiend/freinds "Toy" and [H]omo, are getting paid for it. But is anybody seriously using Linux at ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 47

  1. Who uses Linux here, seriously?

    Seriously, is anybody really using Linux for personal use? From the
    posts here most people seem to be posting from work, and, like our
    fiend/freinds "Toy" and [H]omo, are getting paid for it.

    But is anybody seriously using Linux at home? Not Apache, but Linux
    OS.

    Somehow I doubt it.

    RL

  2. Re: Who uses Linux here, seriously?

    On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 13:43:15 -0700, raylopez99 wrote:

    > Seriously, is anybody really using Linux for personal use? From the
    > posts here most people seem to be posting from work, and, like our
    > fiend/freinds "Toy" and [H]omo, are getting paid for it.
    >
    > But is anybody seriously using Linux at home? Not Apache, but Linux OS.
    >
    > Somehow I doubt it.

    Of course you doubt it. You don't want it to be true. I have used Linux
    for my main desktop OS for almost 10 years. I do wp, ss, graphics
    editing, scanning, web page editing, printing all in Linux.

    --
    Rick

  3. Re: Who uses Linux here, seriously?

    raylopez99 did eloquently scribble:
    > Seriously, is anybody really using Linux for personal use? From the
    > posts here most people seem to be posting from work, and, like our
    > fiend/freinds "Toy" and [H]omo, are getting paid for it.

    > But is anybody seriously using Linux at home? Not Apache, but Linux
    > OS.

    > Somehow I doubt it.

    Idiot.
    |Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)| |

  4. Re: Micoshaft Asstroturfer asks Who uses windopws here, seriously?

    Micoshaft Asstorturfer raylopez99 wrote on behalf of Micoshaft Corporation:

    Seriously, is anybody really using Windopws for personal use? From the
    posts here most people seem to be posting from work, and, like our
    fiend/freinds "Doofy" and Flat foot, are getting paid for it.

    But is anybody seriously using Windopws viri infected OS at home? Not just
    Apache, but Linux OS for their firewall and then pretend to use windopws as
    well; fully infected and openly connected to the net?!

    Somehow I doubt it.

    > RL

  5. Re: Who uses Linux here, seriously?

    Rick did eloquently scribble:
    > On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 13:43:15 -0700, raylopez99 wrote:

    >> Seriously, is anybody really using Linux for personal use? From the
    >> posts here most people seem to be posting from work, and, like our
    >> fiend/freinds "Toy" and [H]omo, are getting paid for it.
    >>
    >> But is anybody seriously using Linux at home? Not Apache, but Linux OS.
    >>
    >> Somehow I doubt it.
    >>

    > Of course you doubt it. You don't want it to be true. I have used Linux
    > for my main desktop OS for almost 10 years. I do wp, ss, graphics
    > editing, scanning, web page editing, printing all in Linux.

    You've beaten me by 2 years.
    1999 here... hmmm, getting close to 9 years actually.
    What's more, I've NEVER had a windows machine... for more than 2 hours.
    (first PC I got had windows 3.1 on it... Well, I had to have a poke
    around before I formatted it didn't I?)

    Before that, I'd been using my trusty QL for years...
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  6. Re: Who uses Linux here, seriously?

    raylopez99 schrieb:
    > Seriously, is anybody really using Linux for personal use? From the
    > posts here most people seem to be posting from work, and, like our
    > fiend/freinds "Toy" and [H]omo, are getting paid for it.

    Huh? Getting paid for it? Where do I sign up?

    > But is anybody seriously using Linux at home? Not Apache, but Linux
    > OS.

    Well, yes. Since 1997. And since 2005 for my work, too, as I know work at
    home in my own Linux based company (with profit at last!).

    Regards

    Jan

  7. Re: Who uses Linux here, seriously?

    --
    PeKaJe
    Damn you beer!

  8. Re: Who uses Linux here, seriously?

    Rick wrote:

    > On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 13:43:15 -0700, raylopez99 wrote:
    >
    >> Seriously, is anybody really using Linux for personal use? From the
    >> posts here most people seem to be posting from work, and, like our
    >> fiend/freinds "Toy" and [H]omo, are getting paid for it.
    >>
    >> But is anybody seriously using Linux at home? Not Apache, but Linux OS.
    >>
    >> Somehow I doubt it.
    >>

    > Of course you doubt it. You don't want it to be true. I have used Linux
    > for my main desktop OS for almost 10 years. I do wp, ss, graphics
    > editing, scanning, web page editing, printing all in Linux.

    Same here, used it for about 10 years. All my personal PCs run either *BSD
    or a linux distro.

    --
    Operating systems: FreeBSD 6.2, PC-BSD 1.4,
    Testing: FreeBSD 7.0

  9. Re: Who uses Linux here, seriously?

    On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 13:43:15 -0700, raylopez99 wrote:

    > Seriously, is anybody really using Linux for personal use? From the
    > posts here most people seem to be posting from work, and, like our
    > fiend/freinds "Toy" and [H]omo, are getting paid for it.
    >
    > But is anybody seriously using Linux at home? Not Apache, but Linux
    > OS.
    >
    > Somehow I doubt it.
    >
    > RL

    I use it fairly seriously. Before I retired, I used it for several years
    at work - I did scientific software support and development for a major
    DOD test facility - we could not trust the software and processing to MS.
    I've also been using it exclusively at home for about four years - running
    Linux on five home computers currently. I also admin the internet access
    computers at the local library - nine of the eleven systems run Linux.
    And, BTW, I am posting from one of my home computers - my 'main' desktop.
    I also have a development machine on which I load various distros, a
    laptop, my wife's machine and my wife's former machine which still has
    some data on it - all runing Linux - mostly Ubuntu, but my 'main' machine
    runs Gentoo on a mini-itx box.

  10. Re: Who uses Linux here, seriously?

    raylopez99 wrote:

    > Seriously, is anybody really using Linux for personal use? From the
    > posts here most people seem to be posting from work, and, like our
    > fiend/freinds "Toy" and [H]omo, are getting paid for it.
    >
    > But is anybody seriously using Linux at home? Not Apache, but Linux
    > OS.

    Sounds like an invitation to feed the troll, but here ya go.
    I've been using Linux as a desktop OS for the past ten years, for both
    personal and professional purposes, performing tasks ranging from simple
    word processing (including producing thousands of pages of translations,
    making extensive use of macros and scripting to make my work even easier),
    web browsing, e-mailing, and doing anything thinkable with music (MP3
    ripping & burning, MIDI editing with Rosegarden, recording with Ardour),
    and editing videos, to schematics & PCB design, electronics simulation,
    programming in anything from assembly (PIC controllers) to C++.
    And it all works. Until a few years ago, it could be a bit of a pain to get
    the more exotic apps working, but these days, almost everything works first
    go, and it works very well indeed.

    My partner has been using Linux as a desktop OS for the past seven years,
    mostly for personal use (she uses Windows in her place of work). She
    actually hates computers in general, yet she has no problems whatsoever
    managing digital photographs, working on text documents, browsing the
    Internet, using e-mail and ripping and managing music for her MP3 player on
    our Linux boxes.

    My stepdaughter has been using Linux for the past seven years for both
    personal use and school. Without any problems whatsoever she browses the
    Web, uses e-mail and MSN, manages digital photographs and MP3's, creates
    documents for school (with pictures, indexes and all), and uses KDEEdu to
    learn het German, French and English words. Plus she just found out about
    KmPlot for math graphs (although I think the automatic scale grid unit
    settings suck utterly).

    Then there's this good friend of mine who has been using Linux for the past
    three years, for the usual stuff (web browsing, e-mail, word processing,
    MP3, digital photography etcetera), plus some quite serious video editing
    with Kino and Cinelerra.

    And this acquaintance of this latter man, who has, let's just say, certain
    mental problems, and couldn't keep a Windows box running for more than a
    month or so without wrecking it through poor security and maintenance
    practices. He's be using Linux for six months now, without any problems,
    mostly for digital photography, and for writing and recording poems. He's
    not particularly interested in computers at all, and he's very happy
    that "everything simply works". For him, the computer should be just a
    simple tool, and Linux indeed makes it easy for him: no worries about
    viruses, licenses or other crap. His computer is just a machine that does
    whatever he wants whenever he wants it.

    And I could go on and on, with details about how this mother-on-welfare or
    that lawyer is happy with his or her Linux machine. I must've past the 100
    installations quite some time ago, and the majority of those people are
    still using their Linux machines. Because they simply work, and keep on
    working -- ususally until the hardware starts failing.

    > Somehow I doubt it.
    >
    > RL

    You may doubt that there are "ordinary" Linux users out there. Fine with me,
    but you're wrong.
    Frankly, what I find almost inbelievable, is that Microsoft expects people
    to buy a computer dozens of times more powerful than what was previously
    needed, in order to run an utterly crappy, bloated hog of an overpriced OS,
    in order to do the same things they were used to, with way less privacy and
    user control, and more restrictions.

    The fact that this is actually happening, is a sure sign that Microsoft is a
    malicious monopoly, that should be cut out of our society as fast as
    possible.
    All those 100+ Linux using people I mentioned, plus all those millions of
    other Linux users around the world, are smart people. In all probability,
    they'll enjoy the use of an open and free OS, open and free applications
    and open and free standards for the rest of their computer-using days.

    Richard Rasker
    --
    http://www.linetec.nl/

  11. Re: Who uses Linux here, seriously?

    On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 13:43:15 -0700, raylopez99 wrote:

    >Seriously, is anybody really using Linux for personal use? From the
    >posts here most people seem to be posting from work, and, like our
    >fiend/freinds "Toy" and [H]omo, are getting paid for it.

    >But is anybody seriously using Linux at home? Not Apache, but Linux
    >OS.

    >Somehow I doubt it.

    I've never seen a microsoft operating system that I'd trust to hold data
    for a whole day.

    I went to OS/2 and a 32 protected mode operating system while the microsoft
    idiots were still using DOS and windows 3.1 and it's lovely 16 bit unprotected
    model, and went to linux in '99 after OS/2 was finally killed off by microsoft's
    underhanded tactics.

    Microsoft operating systems for the home user are in many ways 40 years behind
    in their technology. To this day, they still have failed to differentiate
    normal system use and administrative/root use. Any process can totally
    obliterate the system at any time. Microsoft has added nag layers and piles
    of checks, but they can all be disabled by the knowledgeable malware writer.
    Microsoft thinks that security through obscurity is reasonable whereas anybody
    with a first year college education knows that is ludicrous.

    The mere act of following a web link, inserting a CD, or opening an email can
    destroy a windows system when the user is logged in as administrator and working
    as a limited user is for the most part unusable.

    It might have seemed like a good idea on 1mhz 8 bit processors not to protect
    the OS, but with today's software complexity, it is insane.

  12. Re: Who uses Linux here, seriously?

    On 2007-10-20, raylopez99 wrote:
    > Seriously, is anybody really using Linux for personal use? From the
    > posts here most people seem to be posting from work, and, like our
    > fiend/freinds "Toy" and [H]omo, are getting paid for it.
    >
    > But is anybody seriously using Linux at home? Not Apache, but Linux
    > OS.
    >
    > Somehow I doubt it.

    Linux has been my sole personal desktop OS since 1996.

    I've only come to use it at work quite recently. Although
    I've been a computing professional (using Unix at work for the
    same reasons I use it at home) since before '96.

    Bad IDE support is the only thing that prevented me from
    adopting Solaris x86 the first time around.

    I also have a nice MythTV setup. That gets quite a bit of
    use. Anytime I turn on my TV I am using a macintosh that runs
    Ubuntu 7.10.

    --

    My macintosh runs Ubuntu. |||
    / | \

    http://www.usenet.com

  13. Re: Who uses Linux here, seriously?

    spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:

    > raylopez99 did eloquently scribble:
    >> Seriously, is anybody really using Linux for personal use? From the
    >> posts here most people seem to be posting from work, and, like our
    >> fiend/freinds "Toy" and [H]omo, are getting paid for it.

    >> But is anybody seriously using Linux at home? Not Apache, but Linux
    >> OS.

    >> Somehow I doubt it.

    > Idiot.

    He's a moron. I've used GNU/Linux on all my machines at home for years,
    since 1997 in fact.

    --
    Operating systems: FreeBSD 6.2, PC-BSD 1.4,
    Testing: FreeBSD 7.0
    Linux systems: Debian 4.0, PCLinuxOS 2007,
    Kubuntu 7.10 "Gutsy"

  14. Re: Who uses Linux here, seriously?

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, AZ Nomad

    wrote
    on Sat, 20 Oct 2007 22:46:10 GMT
    :
    > On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 13:43:15 -0700, raylopez99 wrote:
    >

    >>Seriously, is anybody really using Linux for personal use? From the
    >>posts here most people seem to be posting from work, and, like our
    >>fiend/freinds "Toy" and [H]omo, are getting paid for it.

    >>But is anybody seriously using Linux at home? Not Apache, but Linux
    >>OS.

    >>Somehow I doubt it.

    > I've never seen a microsoft operating system that I'd trust
    > to hold data for a whole day.

    Win95 was dreadfully easy to crash. Win2k and WinXP
    are a little harder, but still nicely crashable from all
    accounts. I don't have Vista. (Not sure I *want* Vista.)

    > I went to OS/2 and a 32 protected mode operating system
    > while the microsoft idiots were still using DOS and
    > windows 3.1 and it's lovely 16 bit unprotected model,

    The 80286 was released 1982-02-01, and could address up
    to 1 GB of virtual memory. Windows 3.1 wasn't released
    until a decade later. The 80386 was released 1985-10-17.

    OS/2 1.0 was released 1987-12, but did not support 32-bit
    (though it was protected); OS/2 2.0 ("Cruiser") 1992-04.

    http://trillian.randomstuff.org.uk/~.../timeline.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microso...ne_of_releases
    http://pages.prodigy.net/michaln/history/timeline.html

    Wonder what took Microsoft so long. :-)

    > and went to linux in '99 after OS/2 was finally killed off by microsoft's
    > underhanded tactics.

    The last release was "Merlin" (OS/2 Warp 4.0) in 1996-09.

    > Microsoft operating systems for the home user are in
    > many ways 40 years behind in their technology. To this
    > day, they still have failed to differentiate normal system
    > use and administrative/root use.

    It's not that hard to do on single-user systems (Linux
    being a nice example thereof); of course one might ask
    "what's the point?". However, Linux has the advantage
    that, since it's inherently *designed* for (from?) big
    iron (or at least bigger -- Unix was traditionally used
    in minicomputers), it solves many of the problems that big
    iron had to deal with in the 70's and 80's -- among them,
    intrusions -- and therefore is well-equipped to fend
    off the stupider malware. It's not perfect, of course
    (what is, really?).

    Contrast this to Windows' model, apparently, of treating
    the computer as more of an appliance -- push button, up
    pops toast. Never mind whether the user has his fingers
    in the mechanism at the time; cooked fingers apparently
    were acceptable to QA. (The user might have a slightly
    different opinion.)

    And then there's the question of which user. Infants can
    easily push toaster buttons -- and probably singe their
    nose or fingers if they poke either in the wrong place.
    The black hats have worked out how to push the button
    remotely, in many cases -- Back Orifice 95 comes to mind.

    > Any process can totally obliterate the system at any
    > time. Microsoft has added nag layers and piles of checks,
    > but they can all be disabled by the knowledgeable malware
    > writer. Microsoft thinks that security through obscurity
    > is reasonable whereas anybody with a first year college
    > education knows that is ludicrous.
    >
    > The mere act of following a web link, inserting a CD, or
    > opening an email can destroy a windows system when the user
    > is logged in as administrator and working as a limited user
    > is for the most part unusable.
    >
    > It might have seemed like a good idea on 1mhz 8 bit processors
    > not to protect the OS, but with today's software complexity,
    > it is insane.

    Aye.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    fortune: not found

  15. Re: Who uses Linux here, seriously?

    "If you choke a smurf, what color does it turn?"

  16. Re: Who uses Linux here, seriously?

    The United States of America: Screwing with the
    English Language for over 200 years.
    --Mike Sphar

  17. Re: Who uses Linux here, seriously?

    On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 23:17:30 +0100, William Poaster wrote:

    > Rick wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 13:43:15 -0700, raylopez99 wrote:
    >>
    >>> Seriously, is anybody really using Linux for personal use? From the
    >>> posts here most people seem to be posting from work, and, like our
    >>> fiend/freinds "Toy" and [H]omo, are getting paid for it.
    >>>
    >>> But is anybody seriously using Linux at home? Not Apache, but Linux
    >>> OS.
    >>>
    >>> Somehow I doubt it.
    >>>

    >> Of course you doubt it. You don't want it to be true. I have used Linux
    >> for my main desktop OS for almost 10 years. I do wp, ss, graphics
    >> editing, scanning, web page editing, printing all in Linux.

    > Same here, used it for about 10 years. All my personal PCs run either
    > *BSD or a linux distro.

    I am trying to decide whether to stay with PCLINUXOS for the classroom
    servers at work, or switch to something like CentOS.

    --
    Rick

  18. Re: Who uses Linux here, seriously?

    raylopez99 :
    > Seriously, is anybody really using Linux for personal use? From the
    > posts here most people seem to be posting from work, and, like our
    > fiend/freinds "Toy" and [H]omo, are getting paid for it.
    >
    > But is anybody seriously using Linux at home? Not Apache, but Linux
    > OS.
    >
    > Somehow I doubt it.
    >
    > RL

    I use Linux on all my boxen, including my personal home PC. It Just
    Works.

    --
    Give him an evasive answer.

    http://www.websterscafe.com

  19. Re: Who uses Linux here, seriously?

    raylopez99 wrote:
    > Seriously, is anybody really using Linux for personal use? From the
    > posts here most people seem to be posting from work, and, like our
    > fiend/freinds "Toy" and [H]omo, are getting paid for it.
    >
    > But is anybody seriously using Linux at home? Not Apache, but Linux
    > OS.

    My desktop is a dual boot, but my laptop (which I use more often) is
    Linux-only. But, that's for doing work, not playing.

  20. Re: Who uses Linux here, seriously?

    William Poaster schreef:
    > Rick wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 13:43:15 -0700, raylopez99 wrote:
    >>
    >>> Seriously, is anybody really using Linux for personal use? From the
    >>> posts here most people seem to be posting from work, and, like our
    >>> fiend/freinds "Toy" and [H]omo, are getting paid for it.
    >>>
    >>> But is anybody seriously using Linux at home? Not Apache, but Linux OS.
    >>>
    >>> Somehow I doubt it.
    >>>

    >> Of course you doubt it. You don't want it to be true. I have used Linux
    >> for my main desktop OS for almost 10 years. I do wp, ss, graphics
    >> editing, scanning, web page editing, printing all in Linux.

    > Same here, used it for about 10 years. All my personal PCs run either *BSD
    > or a linux distro.

    Same here too, using it for about 9 years on all my PC's, a FreeDOS
    machine and a good ol' Commodore-Amiga (which a I barely use by now).

    No dualboot, no Microsoft Windows, the latter is obsolete in my
    situation. And yes, beside the obvious, I love to play FPS ;-)

    --
    |_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin
    |_|_|0| http://ml2mst.googlepages.com
    |0|0|0| http://osgeex.blogspot.com