Who uses Linux here, seriously? - Linux

This is a discussion on Who uses Linux here, seriously? - Linux ; Bob Hauck wrote: > raylopez99 > wrote: > >> Seriously, is anybody really using Linux for personal use? > > Yes. Of course....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 47 of 47

  1. Re: Who uses Linux here, seriously?

    Bob Hauck wrote:

    > raylopez99
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Seriously, is anybody really using Linux for personal use?

    > Yes.

    Of course.

  2. Re: Who uses Linux here, seriously?

    On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 14:20:17 -0000,
    Rick wrote:
    > On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 22:11:56 -0700, Jim Richardson wrote:

    Dorothy Parker's reply to her editor who was bugging her for her belated
    work while she was on her honeymoon: "Too ****ing busy, and vice versa."

  3. Re: Who uses Linux here, seriously?

    raylopez99 wrote:

    > On Oct 20, 3:28 pm, Richard Rasker wrote:
    > >
    > > Sounds like an invitation to feed the troll, but here ya go.

    > Don't feed the troll Bichard.
    >
    > > I've been using Linux as a desktop OS for the past ten years, for
    > > both

    > > programming in anything from assembly (PIC controllers) to C++.
    > > And it all works.

    > Uhh, ok. Sounds like a "real" (paid) testimonial. Since I hobby
    > program, pls feel free to tell me which distro and what program will
    > allow me to do console C++ in Linux.

    The standard GCC package that comes with *every* common distribution.
    And it's not even a broken, dumbed down version of whatever Windows
    crapola you're using to "hobby program". The Gnu Compiler Package is a
    full blown set of professional grade tools. For free.

    > I have an old 2GB HD Pentium 2
    > machine that I can convert into LinuxOS, though frankly last I checked
    > nearly no Linux distro will support such meager hardware.

    Any distro will run on that hardware. You may have to futz around with
    window managers and what not, but since your caterwauling about console
    based programming it's not an issue. Just don't load one. You'll still
    have use of multiple workspaces on a stable, professional, platform.

  4. Re: Who uses Linux here, seriously?

    After takin' a swig o' grog, chrisv belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > Bob Hauck wrote:
    >
    >> raylopez99
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Seriously, is anybody really using Linux for personal use?

    >> Yes.

    > Of course.

    I enjoy it even more for personal use than I do for work. And I love
    using it at work.

    --
    Tux rox!

  5. Re: Who uses Linux here, seriously?

    raylopez99 wrote:

    > Seriously, is anybody really using Linux for personal use? From the
    > posts here most people seem to be posting from work, and, like our
    > fiend/freinds "Toy" and [H]omo, are getting paid for it.
    >
    > But is anybody seriously using Linux at home? Not Apache, but Linux
    > OS.

    100% Linux for 10+ years now. Internet, games, three hard copy community
    newsletters published, holiday/event mail merges and letters with
    pretty printed envelopes, two e-mailing lists for hobbyist
    organizations, managing and sharing photos and short movies with
    friends, home security/X10, GPS chart plotting complete with voice
    directions both in my car AND on my boat... all of it pure Linux. Even
    my consumer grade Linksys router is upgraded to run Linux. Not a speck
    of anything Microslop in the house at all.

    Won't even allow visiting friends and family members to put their
    buggy Wintard of crap on my network. They use the LiveCD's I supply, my
    machines, install Linux/BSD on their own machines, or they have no use
    of my Internet here at the house.

    > Somehow I doubt it.

    But then, you're a knuckle dragging imbecile so your doubts are
    irrelevant... *shrug*

  6. Re: Who uses Linux here, seriously?

    On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 13:43:15 -0700, raylopez99 wrote:

    > Seriously, is anybody really using Linux for personal use? From the
    > posts here most people seem to be posting from work, and, like our
    > fiend/freinds "Toy" and [H]omo, are getting paid for it.
    >
    > But is anybody seriously using Linux at home? Not Apache, but Linux
    > OS.
    >
    > Somehow I doubt it.

    Somehow, inevitably, you're wrong.

  7. Re: Who uses Linux here, seriously?

    Linonut wrote:

    > After takin' a swig o' grog, chrisv belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    >> Bob Hauck wrote:

    > I enjoy it even more for personal use than I do for work. And I love using it at work.

    Ubuntu does the job .. browsing, full office suite, media player and DVD
    burning ..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3