Who uses Linux here, seriously? - Linux

    I won't insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe
    what you just said. --William F. Buckley, Jr.

  2. Re: Who uses Linux here, seriously?

    On Oct 20, 3:28 pm, Richard Rasker wrote:

    > Sounds like an invitation to feed the troll, but here ya go.

    Don't feed the troll Bichard.

    > I've been using Linux as a desktop OS for the past ten years, for both

    > programming in anything from assembly (PIC controllers) to C++.
    > And it all works.

    Uhh, ok. Sounds like a "real" (paid) testimonial. Since I hobby
    program, pls feel free to tell me which distro and what program will
    allow me to do console C++ in Linux. I have an old 2GB HD Pentium 2
    machine that I can convert into LinuxOS, though frankly last I checked
    nearly no Linux distro will support such meager hardware.

    > And I could go on and on, with details about how this mother-on-welfare or
    > that lawyer is happy with his or her Linux machine. I must've past the 100
    > installations quite some time ago, and the majority of those people are
    > still using their Linux machines. Because they simply work, and keep on
    > working -- ususally until the hardware starts failing.

    Ahh. Now I get it. You get paid to do Linux distros. OK. Another Roy
    essentially.

    Next? Anybody for real out there?

    RL

  3. Re: Who uses Linux here, seriously?

    On Oct 20, 3:46 pm, AZ Nomad wrote:

    > The mere act of following a web link, inserting a CD, or opening an email can
    > destroy a windows system when the user is logged in as administrator and working
    > as a limited user is for the most part unusable.

    Good point--just yesterday I caught a virus (took 30 minutes to clean
    it up) when surfing the net from the Admin account (was a bad idea I
    know, but I was too lazy to switch to a User account, since it takes
    so long to change back and forth with the bootup)

    > It might have seemed like a good idea on 1mhz 8 bit processors not to protect
    > the OS, but with today's software complexity, it is insane.

    Perhaps, though you can argue that MSFT's OS is attacked more because
    of MSFT's huge OS market share.

    RL

  4. Re: Who uses Linux here, seriously?

    On Oct 21, 2:09 am, raylopez99 wrote:

    > Since I hobby
    > program, pls feel free to tell me which distro and what program will
    > allow me to do console C++ in Linux. I have an old 2GB HD Pentium 2
    > machine that I can convert into LinuxOS, though frankly last I checked
    > nearly no Linux distro will support such meager hardware.

    Update: I have a 40 GB HD I can also install, if that helps.

    I'll repost this in a seperate thread.

    RL

  5. Re: Who uses Linux here, seriously?

    raylopez99 wrote:

    > On Oct 20, 3:46 pm, AZ Nomad wrote:
    >>
    >> The mere act of following a web link, inserting a CD, or opening an email
    >> can destroy a windows system when the user is logged in as administrator
    >> and working as a limited user is for the most part unusable.

    > Good point--just yesterday I caught a virus (took 30 minutes to clean
    > it up) when surfing the net from the Admin account (was a bad idea I
    > know, but I was too lazy to switch to a User account, since it takes
    > so long to change back and forth with the bootup)
    >

    >> It might have seemed like a good idea on 1mhz 8 bit processors not to
    >> protect the OS, but with today's software complexity, it is insane.

    > Perhaps, though you can argue that MSFT's OS is attacked more because
    > of MSFT's huge OS market share.

    No, one can not argue that.

    It is attacked because it is so incredibly easy

    If your "argument" would be true, why then are the many linux servers not
    cracked by the millions? After all, cracking a server returns much more
    than having a desktop machine.

    The truth is, there is not a single linux virus in the wild. Not one
    --
    Microsoft's Guide To System Design:
    Form follows malfunction.

  6. Re: Who uses Linux here, seriously?

    raylopez99 wrote:

    > On Oct 21, 2:09 am, raylopez99 wrote:
    >
    >> Since I hobby
    >> program, pls feel free to tell me which distro and what program will
    >> allow me to do console C++ in Linux. I have an old 2GB HD Pentium 2
    >> machine that I can convert into LinuxOS, though frankly last I checked
    >> nearly no Linux distro will support such meager hardware.
    >>

    > Update: I have a 40 GB HD I can also install, if that helps.
    >
    > I'll repost this in a seperate thread.
    >
    > RL

    Because you want to annoy as much as possible, naturally
    --
    Ignorance is a condition. Stupidity is a way of life.

  7. Re: Who uses Linux here, seriously?

    Rick wrote:

    > On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 23:17:30 +0100, William Poaster wrote:
    >
    >> Rick wrote:

    >>> Of course you doubt it. You don't want it to be true. I have used Linux
    >>> for my main desktop OS for almost 10 years. I do wp, ss, graphics
    >>> editing, scanning, web page editing, printing all in Linux.

    >> Same here, used it for about 10 years. All my personal PCs run either
    >> *BSD or a linux distro.

    > I am trying to decide whether to stay with PCLINUXOS for the classroom
    > servers at work, or switch to something like CentOS.

    I don't know what PCLinuxOS would be like as a server, as a desktop though,
    it's very good.
    IMHO for a server you wouldn't want to be upgrading every six months (or
    so) to a new version release. Debian uses "tried & tested" software, it's
    *very* stable & is widely used in servers.
    OTOH you could try Ubuntu LTS (Long Term Support) "Ubuntu is freely
    available, including security updates for five years on servers, with no
    restrictions on usage and no requirement to purchase support contracts or
    subscriptions per deployment" The present LTS version is supported to 2011.
    http://www.ubuntu.com/news/606released
    http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whati.../serveredition

    I *believe* the next Ubuntu LTS version will be released in 2009

    A review is here:-
    http://www.itreviews.co.uk/software/s384.htm

    --
    Operating systems: FreeBSD 6.2, PCBSD 1.4,
    Linux systems: Debian 4.0, PCLinuxOS 2007,

  8. Re: Who uses Linux here, seriously?

    On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 13:43:15 -0700, raylopez99 wrote:

    > Seriously, is anybody really using Linux for personal use? From the
    > posts here most people seem to be posting from work, and, like our
    > fiend/freinds "Toy" and [H]omo, are getting paid for it.

    Enough with the stupid insults.

    Some people here may use it at work as well as at home. So what? It's the
    same for many Windows users. In fact, using Linux at work would tend to
    encourage people to also use it at home.

    > But is anybody seriously using Linux at home? Not Apache, but Linux
    > OS.

    Yes. I am, my brother is, his friends are, a workmate of mine is, and an
    acuaintance of mine (she used it even before I did, several years ago).
    For the past year I've used Linux only, and before that I rarely used my
    Windows box. I am seriously thinking of getting rid of Windows on that
    box, since it's never used.

    So much for your 'nobody uses it' theory.

    --
    Kier

    > Somehow I doubt it.

    That's because you're a stupid troll.

  9. Re: Who uses Linux here, seriously?

    On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 02:09:56 -0700, raylopez99 wrote:

    > On Oct 20, 3:28 pm, Richard Rasker wrote:
    >>
    >> Sounds like an invitation to feed the troll, but here ya go.

    > Don't feed the troll Bichard.
    >
    >> I've been using Linux as a desktop OS for the past ten years, for both

    >> programming in anything from assembly (PIC controllers) to C++.
    >> And it all works.

    > Uhh, ok. Sounds like a "real" (paid) testimonial. Since I hobby
    > program, pls feel free to tell me which distro and what program will
    > allow me to do console C++ in Linux. I have an old 2GB HD Pentium 2
    > machine that I can convert into LinuxOS, though frankly last I checked
    > nearly no Linux distro will support such meager hardware.

    How much RAM do you have available? If you don't need a GUI, there are a
    number of versions of Linux that would be usable.

    >> And I could go on and on, with details about how this mother-on-welfare or
    >> that lawyer is happy with his or her Linux machine. I must've past the 100
    >> installations quite some time ago, and the majority of those people are
    >> still using their Linux machines. Because they simply work, and keep on
    >> working -- ususally until the hardware starts failing.

    > Ahh. Now I get it. You get paid to do Linux distros. OK. Another Roy
    > essentially.

    Where is your evidence that Roy is paid to use Linux?

    > Next? Anybody for real out there?

    You've managed to ignore just about everyone who replied that they did and
    do use Linux at home. Why is that?

    Since you're stupid, I'll repeat, I DO. I have never used it at work,
    either. I use it exclusively at home.

    --
    Kier

  10. Re: Who uses Linux here, seriously?

    After takin' a swig o' grog, raylopez99 belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > Seriously, is anybody really using Linux for personal use? From the
    > posts here most people seem to be posting from work, and, like our
    > fiend/freinds "Toy" and [H]omo, are getting paid for it.
    >
    > But is anybody seriously using Linux at home? Not Apache, but Linux
    > OS.
    >
    > Somehow I doubt it.

    Idiot.

  11. Re: Who uses Linux here, seriously?

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Jim Richardson belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > Why would I need to run MSWindows for anything at home?
    >
    > I mean, I very occasionally use MSWindows at work, because I am fixing a
    > problem with that particular machine and it's software but other than
    > that. nothing there either.

    I spent a few hours Friday debugging on XP. What a piece of crap!

    > --
    > Jim Richardson http://www.eskimo.com/~warlock
    > "If you choke a smurf, what color does it turn?"

    You're a sick man!

    --
    Tux rox!

  12. Re: Who uses Linux here, seriously?

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Richard Rasker belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > Frankly, what I find almost inbelievable, is that Microsoft expects people
    > to buy a computer dozens of times more powerful than what was previously
    > needed, in order to run an utterly crappy, bloated hog of an overpriced OS,
    > in order to do the same things they were used to, with way less privacy and
    > user control, and more restrictions.

    It is hard to believe, isn't it?

    --
    Tux rox!

  13. Re: Who uses Linux here, seriously?

    After takin' a swig o' grog, raylopez99 belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > program, pls feel free to tell me which distro and what program will
    > allow me to do console C++ in Linux. I have an old 2GB HD Pentium 2
    > machine that I can convert into LinuxOS, though frankly last I checked
    > nearly no Linux distro will support such meager hardware.

    Any distro.

    > Ahh. Now I get it. You get paid to do Linux distros. OK. Another Roy
    > essentially.
    >
    > Next? Anybody for real out there?

    Oh, I forgot. You're an IDIOT.

  14. Re: Who uses Linux here, seriously?

    Linonut wrote:

    > After takin' a swig o' grog, raylopez99 belched out this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> program, pls feel free to tell me which distro and what program will
    >> allow me to do console C++ in Linux. I have an old 2GB HD Pentium 2
    >> machine that I can convert into LinuxOS, though frankly last I checked
    >> nearly no Linux distro will support such meager hardware.

    > Any distro.

    Yup. He didn't check very hard did he....well that's if you believe him in
    the *first* place.

    >> Ahh. Now I get it. You get paid to do Linux distros. OK. Another Roy
    >> essentially.
    >>
    >> Next? Anybody for real out there?

    > Oh, I forgot. You're an IDIOT.

    tsk, tsk! You forgot he's an idiot, and yet he proves it with every post?
    "Wake up at teh back there!"

    --
    Operating systems: FreeBSD 6.2, PC-BSD 1.4,
    Testing: FreeBSD 7.0
    Linux systems: Debian 4.0, PCLinuxOS 2007,
    Kubuntu 7.10 "Gutsy"

  15. Re: Who uses Linux here, seriously?

    On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 22:11:56 -0700, Jim Richardson wrote:

    > On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 00:27:08 -0000,
    > Rick wrote:

    >>> Same here, used it for about 10 years. All my personal PCs run either
    >>> *BSD or a linux distro.

    >> I am trying to decide whether to stay with PCLINUXOS for the classroom
    >> servers at work, or switch to something like CentOS.
    >>

    > Personally, given the choice, I go Debian for servers. If RHism's are
    > needed, then CentOS. I have no experience with PCLinuxOS so can't
    > comment there.

    Thanks, but why Debian for servers?

    --
    Rick

  16. Re: Who uses Linux here, seriously?

    On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 11:49:54 +0100, William Poaster wrote:

    > Rick wrote:

    >>> Same here, used it for about 10 years. All my personal PCs run either
    >>> *BSD or a linux distro.

    >> I am trying to decide whether to stay with PCLINUXOS for the classroom
    >> servers at work, or switch to something like CentOS.

    > I don't know what PCLinuxOS would be like as a server, as a desktop
    > though,
    > it's very good.
    > IMHO for a server you wouldn't want to be upgrading every six months
    > (or
    > so) to a new version release. Debian uses "tried & tested" software,
    > it's *very* stable & is widely used in servers.
    > OTOH you could try Ubuntu LTS (Long Term Support) "Ubuntu is freely
    > available, including security updates for five years on servers, with no
    > restrictions on usage and no requirement to purchase support contracts
    > or subscriptions per deployment" The present LTS version is supported to
    > 2011. http://www.ubuntu.com/news/606released
    > http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whati.../serveredition
    >
    > I *believe* the next Ubuntu LTS version will be released in 2009
    >
    > A review is here:-
    > http://www.itreviews.co.uk/software/s384.htm

    I have some nits with PCLOS as a server. For one, PCLOS2007 seems to lose
    its static DNS information after a re-boot, hard or soft. ProFTPD also
    seems to stop running every now an then, even though it is shown running
    in services. I am not sure if PCLOS is doing something, there is a bug in
    pftpd, or I have it configured incorrectly. PCLOS is coming out with a
    serve version soon (it may be out), so I need to consider that, but I
    also need to show some differences in Linux distros.

    --
    Rick

  17. Re: Who uses Linux here, seriously?

    Rick wrote:

    > On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 11:49:54 +0100, William Poaster wrote:
    >
    >> Rick wrote:

    >>> I am trying to decide whether to stay with PCLINUXOS for the classroom
    >>> servers at work, or switch to something like CentOS.

    >> I don't know what PCLinuxOS would be like as a server, as a desktop
    >> though,
    >> it's very good.
    >> IMHO for a server you wouldn't want to be upgrading every six months
    >> (or
    >> so) to a new version release. Debian uses "tried & tested" software,
    >> it's *very* stable & is widely used in servers.
    >> OTOH you could try Ubuntu LTS (Long Term Support) "Ubuntu is freely
    >> available, including security updates for five years on servers, with no
    >> restrictions on usage and no requirement to purchase support contracts
    >> or subscriptions per deployment" The present LTS version is supported to
    >> 2011. http://www.ubuntu.com/news/606released
    >> http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whati.../serveredition
    >>
    >> I *believe* the next Ubuntu LTS version will be released in 2009
    >>
    >> A review is here:-
    >> http://www.itreviews.co.uk/software/s384.htm

    > I have some nits with PCLOS as a server. For one, PCLOS2007 seems to lose
    > its static DNS information after a re-boot, hard or soft. ProFTPD also
    > seems to stop running every now an then, even though it is shown running
    > in services. I am not sure if PCLOS is doing something, there is a bug in
    > pftpd, or I have it configured incorrectly.

    I see, though I wouldn't have thought it was the best distro to use as a
    server....although I've never tried using it as such, so I really can't
    say.

    > PCLOS is coming out with a server version soon (it may be out), so I need
    > to consider that, but I also need to show some differences in Linux

    distros.

    What kind of differences? Are you talking about differences in how they
    work,(like rpm distros, .deb, mdk.rpm, etc..) or differences in distros
    such as Gentoo, Slackware, OpenSuSE, Debian, or even how linux can be
    configured & built from scratch into speciality distros?

    --
    Operating systems: FreeBSD 6.2, PC-BSD 1.4,
    Testing: FreeBSD 7.0
    Linux systems: Debian 4.0, PCLinuxOS 2007,
    Kubuntu 7.10 "Gutsy"

  18. Re: Who uses Linux here, seriously?

    On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 15:40:21 +0100, William Poaster wrote:

    > Rick wrote:

    >>> I don't know what PCLinuxOS would be like as a server, as a desktop
    >>> though,
    >>> it's very good.
    >>> IMHO for a server you wouldn't want to be upgrading every six months
    >>> (or
    >>> so) to a new version release. Debian uses "tried & tested" software,
    >>> it's *very* stable & is widely used in servers.
    >>> OTOH you could try Ubuntu LTS (Long Term Support) "Ubuntu is freely
    >>> available, including security updates for five years on servers, with
    >>> no restrictions on usage and no requirement to purchase support
    >>> contracts or subscriptions per deployment" The present LTS version is
    >>> supported to 2011. http://www.ubuntu.com/news/606released
    >>> http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whati.../serveredition
    >>>
    >>> I *believe* the next Ubuntu LTS version will be released in 2009
    >>>
    >>> A review is here:-
    >>> http://www.itreviews.co.uk/software/s384.htm

    >> I have some nits with PCLOS as a server. For one, PCLOS2007 seems to
    >> lose its static DNS information after a re-boot, hard or soft. ProFTPD
    >> also seems to stop running every now an then, even though it is shown
    >> running in services. I am not sure if PCLOS is doing something, there
    >> is a bug in pftpd, or I have it configured incorrectly.

    > I see, though I wouldn't have thought it was the best distro to use as a
    > server....although I've never tried using it as such, so I really can't
    > say.
    >
    >> PCLOS is coming out with a server version soon (it may be out), so I
    >> need to consider that, but I also need to show some differences in
    >> Linux

    > distros.
    >
    > What kind of differences? Are you talking about differences in how they
    > work,(like rpm distros, .deb, mdk.rpm, etc..) or differences in distros
    > such as Gentoo, Slackware, OpenSuSE, Debian, or even how linux can be
    > configured & built from scratch into speciality distros?

    Various distros arrange menus differently. Package managers differ.
    Default apps differ. Windowing environments differ... those kinds of
    things.

    --
    Rick

  19. Re: Who uses Linux here, seriously?

    On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 02:19:01 -0700, raylopez99 wrote:

    >On Oct 20, 3:46 pm, AZ Nomad wrote:
    >>
    >> The mere act of following a web link, inserting a CD, or opening an email can
    >> destroy a windows system when the user is logged in as administrator and working
    >> as a limited user is for the most part unusable.

    >Good point--just yesterday I caught a virus (took 30 minutes to clean
    >it up) when surfing the net from the Admin account (was a bad idea I
    >know, but I was too lazy to switch to a User account, since it takes
    >so long to change back and forth with the bootup)

    >> It might have seemed like a good idea on 1mhz 8 bit processors not to protect
    >> the OS, but with today's software complexity, it is insane.

    >Perhaps, though you can argue that MSFT's OS is attacked more because
    >of MSFT's huge OS market share.

    Then there would be a percentage of non-microsoft worms and malware floating
    around. There aren't for one simple reason: nobody but microsoft users
    routinely run their system as admin/root. Nowhere but on a windows box can
    any process write to any part of the system at any time.

  20. Re: Who uses Linux here, seriously?

    On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 13:43:15 -0700, raylopez99 wrote:

    > Seriously, is anybody really using Linux for personal use?

    Yes.

    --
    -| Bob Hauck
    -| "Reality has a well-known liberal bias." -- Stephen Colbert

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast