Re: [News] Eric Raymond secretly dumps Linspire - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: [News] Eric Raymond secretly dumps Linspire - Linux ; ____/ [H]omer on Saturday 20 October 2007 10:52 : \____ > Eric Raymond Has Left Linspire’s Board > > .---- > | Shane once asked himself what Eric Raymond would do after > | Linspire’s deal with Microsoft. It turns ...

  1. Re: [News] Eric Raymond secretly dumps Linspire

    ____/ [H]omer on Saturday 20 October 2007 10:52 : \____

    > Eric Raymond Has Left Linspire’s Board
    >
    > .----
    > | Shane once asked himself what Eric Raymond would do after
    > | Linspire’s deal with Microsoft. It turns out that shortly after
    > | Kevin Carmony had left Linspire, Eric left as well. The press did
    > | not report any of this, despite the fact that the press did make a
    > | lot of noise when Eric dumped Fedora for Ubuntu Linux.
    > `----
    >
    > http://boycottnovell.com/2007/10/19/...mond-linspire/
    >
    > Actually it was /Raymond/ that made all the fuss, the Press just
    > reported the story that Raymond went to so much effort to spread around
    > the Internet in such a spiteful fashion,

    I /did/ point that out. He sent Brian, Stephen and a few other editors copies
    of the E-mail.

    > after his highly melodramatic
    > departure from Fedora. Of course we soon discovered the real agenda,
    > which was the promotion of Linspire ... his new paymaster.
    >
    > It's quite intriguing to discover that he subsequently left Linspire
    > too. It's even /more/ intriguing to discover that he did so covertly.

    From the source that had me aware that ESR had left, it is also confirmed that
    Linspire is a *ahem* going nowhere fast. Recall what PJ said...

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Mr. Carmony asked a question, will Linux split in two factions? The answer
    | is no. Some Linux distros will limp along a while and then die off,
    | because they misunderstood what folks want when they choose GNU/Linux
    | and FOSS. You can see that already. Red Hat, which refused to sign any
    | such deal, is flourishing, for example. It's not about code that "just
    | works". Apple offers that already. It's the freedom. And we've proven
    | willing to put up with some temporary frustration in order to get it.
    | In time, FOSS will win, and all those proprietary codecs and everything
    | else will be made available on pleasanter terms, because market share
    | does that.
    `----

    They call it evolution. The weak ones die and the strong one survive and
    thrive. Now, help spread the seed (Ubuntu 7.10, that is!). They could use the
    torrents, esp. now that Ubuntu Studio is down due to heavy loads.

    > Perhaps the Linspire board, ever mindful of Raymond's drama-queen
    > tendencies, had the foresight to pay for his silence in advance of his
    > departure. Of course the question remains, what changed at Linspire
    > during Raymond's tenure, that made him want to leave? He didn't join
    > until /after/ the Protection Racket deal, so it wasn't that. Hmm.

    Not true. It was /before/ deal. :-)

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "My signature is never intended to be offensive"
    Swap: 1510068k total, 690784k used, 819284k free, 64660k cached

  2. Re: [News] Eric Raymond secretly dumps Linspire

    [H]omer wrote:

    > Still, it does seem odd that he kept this so quiet, knowing as we do what a motormouth he is. Maybe Sweaty gave him a Ferrari laptop as a leaving "gift".

    How did he attempt to keep it quite, by emailing Steven J.
    Vaughan-Nichols and the editors of Linuxtoday.com ..
    -------

    # From: esr thyrsus com (Eric S. Raymond)
    # To: fedora-devel-list redhat com
    # Cc: lwn lwn net, editors newsforge com, sjvn vna1 com, editors
    linuxtoday com

    "After thirteen years as a loyal Red Hat and Fedora user, I reached my
    limit today"

    "Fedora, you had every advantage, and you had my loyalty, and you blew
    it. And that is a damn, dirty shame"

    http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedor.../msg01006.html

  3. Re: [News] Eric Raymond secretly dumps Linspire

    ____/ Doug Mentohl on Saturday 20 October 2007 15:11 : \____

    > [H]omer wrote:
    >
    >> Still, it does seem odd that he kept this so quiet, knowing as we do what a
    >> motormouth he is. Maybe Sweaty gave him a Ferrari laptop as a leaving
    >> "gift".

    > How did he attempt to keep it quite, by emailing Steven J.
    > Vaughan-Nichols and the editors of Linuxtoday.com ..
    > -------
    >
    > # From: esr thyrsus com (Eric S. Raymond)
    > # To: fedora-devel-list redhat com
    > # Cc: lwn lwn net, editors newsforge com, sjvn vna1 com, editors
    > linuxtoday com
    >
    > "After thirteen years as a loyal Red Hat and Fedora user, I reached my
    > limit today"
    >
    > "Fedora, you had every advantage, and you had my loyalty, and you blew
    > it. And that is a damn, dirty shame"
    >
    > http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedor.../msg01006.html

    [H]omer was referring to Linspire departure, not "goodbye Fedora".

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Linux is like a girlfriend; try to stick to one distribution for a lifetime
    18:20:04 up 4 days, 3:05, 3 users, load average: 2.16, 1.71, 1.55

  4. Re: [News] Eric Raymond secretly dumps Linspire

    ____/ [H]omer on Saturday 20 October 2007 15:37 : \____

    > Verily I say unto thee, that Doug Mentohl spake thusly:
    >> [H]omer wrote:
    >>
    >>> Still, it does seem odd that he kept this so quiet, knowing as we do
    >>> what a motormouth he is. Maybe Sweaty gave him a Ferrari laptop as a
    >>> leaving "gift".

    >> How did he attempt to keep it quite

    > Keeping quiet about leaving /Linspire/ ... /not/ about when he left Fedora.

    Oops. You replied already.