[News] New Fedora Distro - Vixta - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] New Fedora Distro - Vixta - Linux ; http://sourceforge.net/projects/vixta/ Vixta.org is a Fedora-based Linux distribution designed to be: 0. Absolutly free, in every sense 1. spread linux to the "masses". 2.ABN - Absolutly No Config 3.User-Frendly. 4.Eye-catching. 5. Familiar look and Feel. http://digg.com/linux_unix/Vixta_The_Vista_Nemesis Vixta:The Vista Nemesis! Vixta.org is ...

  1. [News] New Fedora Distro - Vixta

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/vixta/

    Vixta.org is a Fedora-based Linux distribution designed to be: 0.
    Absolutly free, in every sense 1. spread linux to the "masses".
    2.ABN - Absolutly No Config 3.User-Frendly. 4.Eye-catching. 5.
    Familiar look and Feel.
    http://digg.com/linux_unix/Vixta_The_Vista_Nemesis

    Vixta:The Vista Nemesis!

    Vixta.org is a Fedora-based Linux distribution designed to be
    user-friendly and eye-catching, similar in look and feel to
    Windows Vista. Trying to bring linux to the “masses”, not just
    sysadmins
    --
    HPT

  2. Re: [News] New Fedora Distro - Vixta

    ____/ [H]omer on Saturday 20 October 2007 09:54 : \____

    > Verily I say unto thee, that High Plains Thumper spake thusly:
    >

    >> Vixta:The Vista Nemesis!
    >>
    >> Vixta.org is a Fedora-based Linux distribution designed to be
    >> user-friendly and eye-catching, similar in look and feel to Windows
    >> Vista. Trying to bring linux to the “masses”, not just sysadmins
    >>

    > Yes, it's easy to make a GNU/Linux desktop look like pretty much
    > anything you want. I showed how easy it was to change the look of /my/
    > Fedora desktop to look like Vista last year, not that I especially
    > /want/ my desktop to look like Vista - IMHO it's rather gaudy:
    >
    > http://media.slated.org/albums/userp...vista-look.png
    >
    > But each to his own, I guess.

    The Mono guys even work on Ribbons.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Run a Linux server, sit on your hands all day

  3. Re: [News] New Fedora Distro - Vixta

    On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 09:54:05 +0100, [H]omer wrote:

    > Yes, it's easy to make a GNU/Linux desktop look like pretty much
    > anything you want. I showed how easy it was to change the look of /my/
    > Fedora desktop to look like Vista last year, not that I especially
    > /want/ my desktop to look like Vista - IMHO it's rather gaudy:
    >
    > http://media.slated.org/albums/userp...vista-look.png
    >
    > But each to his own, I guess.

    That really doesn't look very much like Vista. The window decorations look
    similar (though they don't have the right glow to them), but the taskbar is
    totally wrong, and your attempt to mimic the sidebar is pretty silly, since
    the purpose of the sidebar is to not only hold gadgets, but also narrow the
    desktop area (if the users so wishes) so that the gadets are always visible
    without ovlaying on top of the windows.

    The taskbar isn't translucent, it doesn't have the same shadowing or
    highlighting, the status area icons aren't grouped.

    I'm really not sure what your point was. Saying you can make the desktop
    *LOOK* like vista or osx or whatever is pointless if it doesn't *ACT* like
    said desktop. And every attempt i've seen to make Linux look like any
    other desktop hasn't been accurate enough to fool even a casual user.

  4. Re: [News] New Fedora Distro - Vixta

    On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 11:44:40 -0500, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

    > I'm really not sure what your point was. Saying you can make the desktop
    > *LOOK* like vista or osx or whatever is pointless if it doesn't *ACT* like
    > said desktop. And every attempt i've seen to make Linux look like any
    > other desktop hasn't been accurate enough to fool even a casual user.

    This one looks pretty damn close.

    --
    Kier

  5. Re: [News] New Fedora Distro - Vixta

    Erik Funkenbusch :

    > I'm really not sure what your point was. Saying you can make the desktop
    > *LOOK* like vista or osx or whatever is pointless if it doesn't *ACT* like
    > said desktop. And every attempt i've seen to make Linux look like any
    > other desktop hasn't been accurate enough to fool even a casual user.

    Several years ago I ran an Internet cafe that had a few Linux desktop
    system among the Windows systems. I made them look and act windowsy
    enough that many folks sat down and used the computers without ever
    questioning which operating system they were using. This was back in
    '03, so I think nowadays the same thing could be achieved even easier.

    --
    UNDERSTAND

    http://www.websterscafe.com

  6. Re: [News] New Fedora Distro - Vixta

    [H]omer wrote:
    > Handover Phist spake thusly:
    >> Erik Funkenbusch schreef:
    >>
    >>> I'm really not sure what your point was. Saying you can
    >>> make the desktop *LOOK* like vista or osx or whatever is
    >>> pointless if it doesn't *ACT* like said desktop. And
    >>> every attempt i've seen to make Linux look like any other
    >>> desktop hasn't been accurate enough to fool even a casual
    >>> user.

    >> Several years ago I ran an Internet cafe that had a few
    >> Linux desktop system among the Windows systems. I made them
    >> look and act windowsy enough that many folks sat down and
    >> used the computers without ever questioning which operating
    >> system they were using. This was back in '03, so I think
    >> nowadays the same thing could be achieved even easier.

    > Yes, the point that Fuddy fails to grasp is that /some/ people
    > make a big deal over how apparently beautiful Vista looks (I
    > don't agree though), but ignore the fact that GNU/Linux can be
    > made to look virtually identical. The fact that it may or may
    > not be an exact clone, or how the underlying OS actually
    > works, is irrelevant from the POV of those who make such a big
    > deal out of /appearances/.
    >
    > WRT how the underlying OS /works/, well no - GNU/Linux is
    > /not/ Vista ... much to the relief of GNU/Linux users, no
    > doubt.

    My kids were weaned on SuSE 6.4. My then 7 YO daughter and 12 YO
    son had a blast with playing games in Linux. For my daughter,
    there are plenty of children's games to entertain, sound and all.
    With my son, Loki Games games ported from Windows were much
    smoother in video action and did not crash (in contrast to
    Windows 98). Just as one IT school administrator stated, it took
    the students about 10 minutes to get acquainted with Linux.

    KDE is very windows like and Gnome is easily navigated also. Add
    Beryl and now we have 3D desktop without bloat. It works
    beautifully.

    --
    HPT

  7. Re: [News] New Fedora Distro - Vixta

    ____/ High Plains Thumper on Monday 22 October 2007 12:53 : \____

    > [H]omer wrote:
    >> Handover Phist spake thusly:

    >>> Several years ago I ran an Internet cafe that had a few
    >>> Linux desktop system among the Windows systems. I made them
    >>> look and act windowsy enough that many folks sat down and
    >>> used the computers without ever questioning which operating
    >>> system they were using. This was back in '03, so I think
    >>> nowadays the same thing could be achieved even easier.

    >> Yes, the point that Fuddy fails to grasp is that /some/ people
    >> make a big deal over how apparently beautiful Vista looks (I
    >> don't agree though), but ignore the fact that GNU/Linux can be
    >> made to look virtually identical. The fact that it may or may
    >> not be an exact clone, or how the underlying OS actually
    >> works, is irrelevant from the POV of those who make such a big
    >> deal out of /appearances/.
    >>
    >> WRT how the underlying OS /works/, well no - GNU/Linux is
    >> /not/ Vista ... much to the relief of GNU/Linux users, no
    >> doubt.

    > My kids were weaned on SuSE 6.4. My then 7 YO daughter and 12 YO
    > son had a blast with playing games in Linux. For my daughter,
    > there are plenty of children's games to entertain, sound and all.
    > With my son, Loki Games games ported from Windows were much
    > smoother in video action and did not crash (in contrast to
    > Windows 98). Just as one IT school administrator stated, it took
    > the students about 10 minutes to get acquainted with Linux.
    >
    > KDE is very windows like and Gnome is easily navigated also. Add
    > Beryl and now we have 3D desktop without bloat. It works
    > beautifully.

    These kids are lucky to have been raised in a family where they get valuable
    computing skills. They won't become typists and boot booters and their skills
    will not revolve around AV software. Sadly, they won't have many coffee breaks
    either. The PC will always be there in front of them, working uninterruptedly
    for months.

    /partly sarcastic, of course.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    For governments that eavesdrop, here is a quick list of tags: Communism,
    Hawaiian shirts, China, Suitcase, Martha Stewart, Encryption, Prison, Stalin.
    Thanks for tuning in.

  8. Re: [News] New Fedora Distro - Vixta

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > High Plains Thumper on Monday:
    >
    >> My kids were weaned on SuSE 6.4. My then 7 YO daughter and
    >> 12 YO son had a blast with playing games in Linux. For my
    >> daughter, there are plenty of children's games to entertain,
    >> sound and all. With my son, Loki Games games ported from
    >> Windows were much smoother in video action and did not crash
    >> (in contrast to Windows 98). Just as one IT school
    >> administrator stated, it took the students about 10 minutes
    >> to get acquainted with Linux.
    >>
    >> KDE is very windows like and Gnome is easily navigated also.
    >> Add Beryl and now we have 3D desktop without bloat. It
    >> works beautifully.

    > These kids are lucky to have been raised in a family where
    > they get valuable computing skills. They won't become typists
    > and boot booters and their skills will not revolve around AV
    > software. Sadly, they won't have many coffee breaks either.
    > The PC will always be there in front of them, working
    > uninterruptedly for months.
    >
    > /partly sarcastic, of course.

    My son will graduate with a degree in IT business administration.
    I am encouraging him to graduate school (MBA). My daughter is
    aspiring to be an MD. She has wanted to be that since she was small.

    I am glad they are aspiring to be more than just Windows gaming
    fanatics.

    --
    HPT

+ Reply to Thread