Processing and forwarding packets - Linux

This is a discussion on Processing and forwarding packets - Linux ; All, I have a daemon listening on a specific port, accepting incoming connections from dozens of clients. I want to create a test environment with virtually the same load of my production box. The idea is to continue receiving connections ...

  1. Processing and forwarding packets

    All,

    I have a daemon listening on a specific port, accepting incoming
    connections from dozens of clients. I want to create a test
    environment with virtually the same load of my production box.

    The idea is to continue receiving connections on my production
    machine, process them, and *also* forward the packages to my test
    machine. I do not need a simple iptables redirect (because I still
    need the packages processed by the main machine). I need something
    like receive and process/forward at the same time.

    Does anyone know whether this is possible using iptables?

    Thanks for any help.

  2. Re: Processing and forwarding packets

    Michel Esber wrote:

    > All,
    >
    > I have a daemon listening on a specific port, accepting incoming
    > connections from dozens of clients. I want to create a test
    > environment with virtually the same load of my production box.
    >
    > The idea is to continue receiving connections on my production
    > machine, process them, and *also* forward the packages to my test
    > machine. I do not need a simple iptables redirect (because I still
    > need the packages processed by the main machine). I need something
    > like receive and process/forward at the same time.
    >
    > Does anyone know whether this is possible using iptables?

    Random question: what are you going to do with the output of the test
    server? For example, your production server will send an ACK if it receives
    a SYN and accepts the connection. Where will the ACK from the test machine
    go???

    I'm afraid this isn't going to work as expected :-)

    --
    Ruurd
    ..o.

  3. Re: Processing and forwarding packets

    michel@us.automatos.com (Michel Esber) scribbled on the stall wall:
    > All,
    >
    > I have a daemon listening on a specific port, accepting incoming
    > connections from dozens of clients. I want to create a test
    > environment with virtually the same load of my production box.
    >
    > The idea is to continue receiving connections on my production
    > machine, process them, and *also* forward the packages to my test
    > machine. I do not need a simple iptables redirect (because I still
    > need the packages processed by the main machine). I need something
    > like receive and process/forward at the same time.
    >
    > Does anyone know whether this is possible using iptables?

    Probably not. the connections are going to be machine specific
    so the secondary machine will ignore them...unless you do something
    crafy with multi-cast. TCP is connection oriented it expects
    a one-to-one correlation between sender and receiver.