Re: [News] Custom Linux PCs Push Energy Efficiency to the Limit - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: [News] Custom Linux PCs Push Energy Efficiency to the Limit - Linux ; Roy Schestowitz espoused: > Open Source Software, OLPC, and the Importance of Being Green > > ,----[ Quote ] >| I'm referring to the need for the OLPC XO laptop to be extremely efficient in >| its power consumption. The ...

  1. Re: [News] Custom Linux PCs Push Energy Efficiency to the Limit

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > Open Source Software, OLPC, and the Importance of Being Green
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| I'm referring to the need for the OLPC XO laptop to be extremely efficient in
    >| its power consumption. The OLPC laptop is designed to be used in places where
    >| there is no reliable power grid, or, in many cases, no power grid at all.
    >| This has challenged the OLPC Project is be very creative in how power is
    >| generated, stored and conserved.
    > `----
    >
    > http://jmbuser.livejournal.com/6764.html

    I still feel very much that these devices could be fantastic to roll-out
    in British primary schools. You could kit every child in a classroom
    for less power consumption than the existing one or two machines in most
    current primary classrooms. That's a fantastic carbon footprint.

  2. Re: [News] Custom Linux PCs Push Energy Efficiency to the Limit

    ____/ Mark Kent on Friday 19 October 2007 21:00 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >> Open Source Software, OLPC, and the Importance of Being Green
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| I'm referring to the need for the OLPC XO laptop to be extremely efficient
    >>| in its power consumption. The OLPC laptop is designed to be used in places
    >>| where there is no reliable power grid, or, in many cases, no power grid at
    >>| all. This has challenged the OLPC Project is be very creative in how power
    >>| is generated, stored and conserved.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://jmbuser.livejournal.com/6764.html
    >>

    > I still feel very much that these devices could be fantastic to roll-out
    > in British primary schools. You could kit every child in a classroom
    > for less power consumption than the existing one or two machines in most
    > current primary classrooms. That's a fantastic carbon footprint.

    I think they are happier with the Xandrosoft-based Eee(k!), but the
    considerations here are different. In the UK, classrooms have very decent
    electricity.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | $> sudo root; cd /; rm -rf *.doc
    run-level 2 2007-10-16 15:14 last=