[News] Linux is a Better Windows Than Windows, Sometimes - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Linux is a Better Windows Than Windows, Sometimes - Linux ; Windows Programs Sometimes Run Faster On Linux Than XP ,----[ Quote ] | A popular myth among old linux users is that they need to dual-boot because | their fav windows program does not work in Linux. I tell them, ...

  1. [News] Linux is a Better Windows Than Windows, Sometimes

    Windows Programs Sometimes Run Faster On Linux Than XP

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A popular myth among old linux users is that they need to dual-boot because
    | their fav windows program does not work in Linux. I tell them, there's wine
    | and cadega and they tell me the performance of these are slower than
    | Windows... and this post is to break this myth!!
    `----

    http://sunnytalkstech.blogspot.com/2...faster-on.html

    Related:

    SL Speed Showdown: Linux Tops Windoze

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This was not a scientific study - only a small test which confirmed what I
    | thought I had "felt" already while using Second Life on my new PC.
    `----

    http://www.secondlifeherald.com/slh/...ed-showdo.html

    [MS MVP] Foray into Feisty Fawn helped me take back my MIPS

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Long story short - World of Warcraft runs faster under Ubuntu/Wine than
    | natively under Windows XP Professional.
    `----

    http://msmvps.com/blogs/plenderj/arc...k-my-mips.aspx

    Quake 4 On XP, Vista, & Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | However, I spent the extra time and while I was at it had run three
    | Quake 4 v1.3 benchmarks in XP, Vista, and Fedora Core 6 (2.6.20 kernel).
    | The hardware used was a modest AMD Sempron setup with a NVIDIA GeForce
    | 6150 and the NVIDIA 1.0-9755 drivers (the hardware chosen was to
    | represent the more common Linux user rather than using an octal-core
    | setup). The NVIDIA driver on Vista was 100.65 while the XP version
    | was 93.71. Below is the average frame-rate from each test on each
    | operating system.
    `----

    http://www.michaellarabel.com/index.php?k=blog&i=164

  2. Re: [News] Linux is a Better Windows Than Windows, Sometimes

    wrote
    on Fri, 19 Oct 2007 19:03:12 +0100
    <1436364.OZMZIySn6q@schestowitz.com>:
    > Windows Programs Sometimes Run Faster On Linux Than XP
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | A popular myth among old linux users is that they need to dual-boot because
    > | their fav windows program does not work in Linux. I tell them, there's wine
    > | and cadega and they tell me the performance of these are slower than
    > | Windows... and this post is to break this myth!!
    > `----
    >
    > http://sunnytalkstech.blogspot.com/2...faster-on.html

    I'll admit to some curiosity here as to what's slowing
    down Windows programs within the Windows OS, and how to
    determine it. The best I can do is a variant of QEMU or
    VmWare that can simulate physical hardware and monitor
    such things as disk accesses while doing so. There's also
    the question of "bit rot", which in my opinion is caused
    by that stupid stinking auto-extension paging file. Lock
    down the size of that paging file, and the performance
    shouldn't vary nearly as much over the course of a few
    years, as long as the machine is kept reasonably clean
    of malware.

    Of course there's still the registry. ;-) Plus, one has
    issues such as display drivers and DirectX/OpenGL to worry
    about -- and neither QEMU nor VmWare can handle those very
    well yet.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C++ Programming Idea #12995733:
    bool f(bool g, bool h) { if(g) h = true; else h = false; return h;}