Re: [News] [Rival] Dixons Group lost 20 million on Vista - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: [News] [Rival] Dixons Group lost 20 million on Vista - Linux ; [H]omer wrote: >> The DSG says it has had to write off excess inventory, which >> brought down the retailer's gross margin by 2 percent. The Group >> says that far fewer Vista computers were sold at its PC World ...

  1. Re: [News] [Rival] Dixons Group lost 20 million on Vista

    [H]omer wrote:

    >> The DSG says it has had to write off excess inventory, which
    >> brought down the retailer's gross margin by 2 percent. The Group
    >> says that far fewer Vista computers were sold at its PC World chain
    >> than were put on inventory.

    > `----
    >
    > http://www.heise.de/english/newstick...655/from/rss09

    Maybe they should try to sell Linux systems - and take the plunge into
    bankruptcy.

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Dixons Group lost 20 million on Vista

    Micoshaft's Asstroturfer DFS wrote on behalf of Micoshaft Corporation:

    > [H]omer wrote:
    >
    >>> The DSG says it has had to write off excess inventory, which
    >>> brought down the retailer's gross margin by 2 percent. The Group
    >>> says that far fewer Vista computers were sold at its PC World chain
    >>> than were put on inventory.

    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.heise.de/english/newstick...655/from/rss09

    > Maybe they should try to sell Linux systems - and take the plunge into
    > bankruptcy.

    May be they have been selling Linux long before this to eliminate
    the Micoshaft problem altogether.
    May be bundling of an OS into a PC sale should have been made illegal a long
    time ago and this situation would not have arisen.

    May be people buy computers regardless of whatever OS is on them.

    May be the arrogance of micoshaftees asstroturfing
    to sell substandard products is not helping.

  3. Re: [News] [Rival] Dixons Group lost 20 million on Vista

    7 wrote:
    > Micoshaft's Asstroturfer DFS wrote on behalf of Micoshaft Corporation:

    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://www.heise.de/english/newstick...655/from/rss09

    >> Maybe they should try to sell Linux systems - and take the plunge
    >> into bankruptcy.

    > May be they have been selling Linux long before this to eliminate
    > the Micoshaft problem altogether.

    Not sure what MS problem you refer to, but the world got what it wanted: we
    purchased so much MS software that they became totally dominant.

    > May be bundling of an OS into a PC sale should have been made illegal
    > a long time ago and this situation would not have arisen.

    You mean the situation where there is an enormous universe of excellent
    commercial Windows software, and PC hardware is extremely inexpensive?

    > May be people buy computers regardless of whatever OS is on them.

    Definitely not. Or we would see lots of OEMs offering Linux and BSD and
    OS/2, the way we see thousands of OEMs offering Windows.

    > May be the arrogance of micoshaftees asstroturfing
    > to sell substandard products is not helping.

    Maybe Linux lusers should:

    * quit blaming MS for every problem in their lives
    * work on their substandard code until it's not substandard
    * try to understand apps are what drives sales/adoption of operating systems
    * start paying more so vendors can market more so Linux can compete more

  4. Re: [News] [Rival] Dixons Group lost 20 million on Vista

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, DFS

    wrote
    on Fri, 19 Oct 2007 09:08:11 -0400
    :
    > [H]omer wrote:
    >
    >>> The DSG says it has had to write off excess inventory, which
    >>> brought down the retailer's gross margin by 2 percent. The Group
    >>> says that far fewer Vista computers were sold at its PC World chain
    >>> than were put on inventory.

    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.heise.de/english/newstick...655/from/rss09

    > Maybe they should try to sell Linux systems - and take the plunge into
    > bankruptcy.

    Well, clearly, the main problem with Microsoft Windows
    Vista is that they didn't buy any music such as Rolling
    Stones' _Start Me Up_ for it.

    Unfortunately, the best I can do is Lindsay Lohan _A
    Beautiful Life_ (La Bella Vista),

    I don't know the melody offhand, but...

    I'm starting to feel
    All of my bruises imagined all real
    I'll get through each day
    Dip through the bad ones
    To get to the good ones
    Who's keeping score anyway

    Ow.

    Or the even scarier

    I talk in my sleep
    That's the one place I know no one can hear me
    I tell my self things
    Walk in the shadows, there's always tomorrow
    And I'm right where I want to be

    Auto-update, anyone?

    Therefore, Microsoft had better be careful; they've already
    goofed once with "you make a grown man cry". :-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #1123133:
    void f(FILE * fptr, char *p) { fgets(p, sizeof(p), fptr); }