Re: [News] [Rival] Dixons Group lost 20 million on Vista - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: [News] [Rival] Dixons Group lost 20 million on Vista - Linux ; ____/ [H]omer on Friday 19 October 2007 13:39 : \____ > PC retailer's hard facts contradicts Microsoft's success claims: > > .---- > | While Microsoft continues to praise the market success of its > | latest operating system, the ...

  1. Re: [News] [Rival] Dixons Group lost 20 million on Vista

    ____/ [H]omer on Friday 19 October 2007 13:39 : \____

    > PC retailer's hard facts contradicts Microsoft's success claims:
    >
    > .----
    > | While Microsoft continues to praise the market success of its
    > | latest operating system, the number of critical voices and negative
    > | comments on sales figures for Vista continues to rise. Now, the
    > | Dixon Store Group (DSG), a British retail chain, has released
    > | specific figures. The firm says that it earned 20 million pounds
    > | less in the first two quarters of the year because sales of Vista
    > | products did not meet expectations.
    > |
    > | The DSG says it has had to write off excess inventory, which
    > | brought down the retailer's gross margin by 2 percent. The Group
    > | says that far fewer Vista computers were sold at its PC World chain
    > | than were put on inventory.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.heise.de/english/newstick...655/from/rss09

    Join the club and start exploring Linux.

    | Financial Times Deutschland on Monday.

    | Lenovo.

    `----

    http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/...SS&NewsID=9579

    A move to Linux worked well for Dell.

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Initially, I was skeptical about Dell's decision to sell selected consumer
    | PCs with Ubuntu Linux pre-installed.
    |
    | But after a few days of testing, I'm a skeptic no more. And I'm not alone.
    | Dell insiders tell me that the Ubuntu PCs, introduced in late May, are
    | selling well -- though they decline to share exact sales figures with
    | me.
    `----

    http://software.seekingalpha.com/article/39413

    It keeps spreading ("like cancer", to use Ballmer's words)

    Linux Rolls On [to other countries]

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    http://direct2dell.com/one2one/archi.../06/20256.aspx

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | chmod a-r *.mbox
    Tasks: 125 total, 1 running, 122 sleeping, 0 stopped, 2 zombie

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Dixons Group lost 20 million on Vista

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ [H]omer on Friday 19 October 2007 13:39 : \____
    >
    >> PC retailer's hard facts contradicts Microsoft's success claims:
    >>
    >> .----
    >> | While Microsoft continues to praise the market success of its
    >> | latest operating system, the number of critical voices and negative
    >> | comments on sales figures for Vista continues to rise. Now, the
    >> | Dixon Store Group (DSG), a British retail chain, has released
    >> | specific figures. The firm says that it earned 20 million pounds
    >> | less in the first two quarters of the year because sales of Vista
    >> | products did not meet expectations.
    >> |
    >> | The DSG says it has had to write off excess inventory, which
    >> | brought down the retailer's gross margin by 2 percent. The Group
    >> | says that far fewer Vista computers were sold at its PC World chain
    >> | than were put on inventory.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.heise.de/english/newstick...655/from/rss09

    > Join the club and start exploring Linux.

    It's not good, is it? Missing sales targets by £20 million in 6 months
    is pretty awful. Clearly, if they're just not selling, then the
    channel-stuffing problem will reveal itself fairly soon.

    I suspect that the price will probably fall quite significantly now, as
    the retailers look for any way of cutting their losses. I can't see
    them doing any such big deals with Microsoft in the future, though.

    > Acer: PC industry 'disappointed' with Vista

    >| Acer president Gianfranco Lanci became the first major PC manufacturer to
    >| openly attack Microsoft over the Windows Vista operating system in the
    >| Financial Times Deutschland on Monday.
    >|
    >| Lanci said the operating system was riddled with problems and gave users and
    >| businesses no reason to buy a new PC, according to the report. Taiwan-based
    >| Acer is the world's fourth-largest PC manufacturer, after HP, Dell and
    >| Lenovo.
    >|
    >| "The whole industry is disappointed with Windows Vista," Lanci said.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/...SS&NewsID=9579
    >
    > A move to Linux worked well for Dell.
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Initially, I was skeptical about Dell's decision to sell selected consumer
    >| PCs with Ubuntu Linux pre-installed.
    >|
    >| But after a few days of testing, I'm a skeptic no more. And I'm not alone.
    >| Dell insiders tell me that the Ubuntu PCs, introduced in late May, are
    >| selling well -- though they decline to share exact sales figures with
    >| me.
    > `----
    >
    > http://software.seekingalpha.com/article/39413
    >
    > It keeps spreading ("like cancer", to use Ballmer's words)
    >
    > Linux Rolls On [to other countries]
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Know some of you saw this in last week's post, but I wanted to be clear that
    >| Dell does have plans to offer Linux to more consumers in additional locations
    >| outside the United States. More details to come later this summer. We will
    >| also offer Ubuntu to small business customers in the future. *
    > `----
    >
    > http://direct2dell.com/one2one/archi.../06/20256.aspx

  3. Re: [News] [Rival] Dixons Group lost 20 million on Vista

    ____/ Mark Kent on Friday 19 October 2007 20:29 : \____

    > I can't see
    > them doing any such big deals with Microsoft in the future, though.

    Maybe they can stock some door wedges (aka Zune) and have Microsoft happy to
    channel-stuff in another department. Oh, wait. Microsoft already
    channel-stuffed Zunes and lied in press releases.

    What else is not new?

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    ..oʍʇ sɐ buıɥʇ ɥɔns ou s,ǝɹǝɥʇ 'ɹǝpuǝq 'ʎɹɹoʍ ʇ,uop :ʎɹɟ
    ..oʍʇ ɐ ʍɐs ı ʇɥbnoɥʇ ı puɐ ...ǝɹǝɥʍʎɹǝʌǝ soɹǝz puɐ sǝuo .ɯɐǝɹp 1nɟʍɐ uɐ
    ʇɐɥʍ 'ɥɥɥɐ :ɹǝpuǝq

+ Reply to Thread