[News] More Open Source Finds Its Way in Hardware - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] More Open Source Finds Its Way in Hardware - Linux ; Open-Source Hardware ,----[ Quote ] | A reconfigurable handheld device could foster a community of hardware | hackers. `---- http://www.technologyreview.com/Info.../?nlid=604&a=f Expanded open source support for FPGAs ,----[ Quote ] | Lattice Semiconductor recently announced expanded support for its | LatticeMico32 ...

  1. [News] More Open Source Finds Its Way in Hardware

    `----

    http://www.technologyreview.com/Info.../?nlid=604&a=f

    Expanded open source support for FPGAs

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Lattice Semiconductor recently announced expanded support for its
    | LatticeMico32 32-bit embedded RISC microprocessor, an open source, soft IP
    | core optimised for Lattice field programmable gate arrays (FPGAs).
    `----

    http://dataweek.co.za/news.aspx?pklN...lCategoryID=35

    Related:

    The Future of Hardware is Open Source

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Open Hardware is the future of technology, and all we need to kick off this
    | next great revolution in technology is to have the right tools in the right *
    | place at the right time. *After that, the sky’s the limit! *
    `----

    http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=315

    Open Source Hardware: Birth Of A Long Tail Market?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | And when there is unrestricted collaboration, nearly anything is possible.
    | Buglabs, the open source hardware movement and other yet-to-be discovered
    | frontiers have the same opportunity here. *
    `----

    http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osr...le.php/3700366

    Do we need an open hardware license?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Still, Hicks says that it's possible to use open source hardware designs with
    | field-programmable gate arrays, "which are quite affordable," and points to
    | OpenSPARC and the OPENCORES community of open hardware designers as examples
    | of real-world usage of open hardware. *
    |
    | Phipps says that he sees open hardware following in the footsteps of FOSS,
    | though he says mainstreaming of open hardware "will take much longer ... to
    | get a foothold." *
    `----

    http://www.linux.com/feature/118198

    Perens set to tackle open-source hardware

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | On Monday, Perens plans to announce the TAPR Open Hardware
    | License, a document written by John Ackerman designed
    | specifically to govern hardware designs that can be
    | modified and redistrubuted. Perens plans to submit the
    | license to the Open Source Initiative for its as an
    | open-source license.
    `----

    http://news.com.com/2061-10795_3-615...0-20&subj=news
    http://tinyurl.com/2noydh

    Boot Linux Faster With An Open BIOS

    | Another interesting approach involves using Linux itself to initialize the
    | hardware. The LinuxBIOS takes the approach of loading a small Linux kernel
    | directly into the boot ROM. This approach is increasingly practical now that
    | boards have 1-2MB of flash ROM onboard, according to Seebach. *
    `----

    http://www.lockergnome.com/nexus/kni...h-an-open-bios

    First desktop motherboard supported by LinuxBIOS: GIGABYTE M57SLI-S4

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The GIGABYTE M57SLI-S4 [1] is the first-ever desktop motherboard
    | supported by a Free & Open Source BIOS, thanks to AMD engineer
    | Yinghai Lu who released GPL-licensed code last month.
    `----

    http://www.uwsg.indiana.edu/hypermai...02.2/2347.html

    LinuxBIOS: The Forgotten Hero

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This begs the question: is anyone currently using LinuxBIOS on
    | their machines? You bet they are. According to one recent report,
    | LinuxBIOS was installed on about one million machines and that
    | existing number is expected to rise significantly, assuming the
    | rate of growth remains constant.
    `----

    http://www.madpenguin.org/cms/?m=show&id=7694

    Google Sponsors the LinuxBIOS project

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The LinuxBIOS project aims to take down the last barrier in Open
    | Source systems by providing a free firmware (BIOS) implementation.
    `----

    http://addict3d.org/index.php?page=v...=news&ID=31343

    LinuxBIOS ready to go mainstream

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | LinuxBIOS is intended to provide a philosophically free replacement
    | for proprietary firmware in chipsets.
    `----

    http://enterprise.linux.com/article....99208&from=rss

  2. Re: [News] More Open Source Finds Its Way in Hardware

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > Open-Source Hardware
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| A reconfigurable handheld device could foster a community of hardware
    >| hackers.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.technologyreview.com/Info.../?nlid=604&a=f

    This is a fantastically cool device - it will be incredibly popular with
    hobbiests, secondary schools, research labs (for making custom devices),
    and perhaps even commercial usage for 1-off hardware combinations for
    particular functions.

    I can see this being as important as Veroboard was in the 1970s/80s in
    terms of making electronics construction to a commercial standard
    available to anyone with a soldering iron and a few quid.