[News] 'Hobbyists' May be More Skilled Than 'Certified' Professionals - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] 'Hobbyists' May be More Skilled Than 'Certified' Professionals - Linux ; Noncertified IT pros make more than those with certified skills, report shows ,----[ Quote ] | A new report from industry research firm Foote Partners LLC finds that the | average pay for noncertified IT skills topped that for certified ...

  1. [News] 'Hobbyists' May be More Skilled Than 'Certified' Professionals

    Noncertified IT pros make more than those with certified skills, report shows

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A new report from industry research firm Foote Partners LLC finds that the
    | average pay for noncertified IT skills topped that for certified
    | professionals while compensation for IT jobs increased again in the third
    | quarter of 2007. CEO and Chief Research Officer, David Foote calls this “a
    | significant event” that has not occurred in the industry since 2000.
    `----

    http://enterpriselinuxlog.blogs.tech...-report-shows/

  2. Re: [News] 'Monkeys' May be more skilled than 'linux' idiots

  3. Re: [News] 'Hobbyists' May be More Skilled Than 'Certified' Professionals

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > Noncertified IT pros make more than those with certified skills, report shows
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| A new report from industry research firm Foote Partners LLC finds that the
    >| average pay for noncertified IT skills topped that for certified
    >| professionals while compensation for IT jobs increased again in the third
    >| quarter of 2007. CEO and Chief Research Officer, David Foote calls this ?a
    >| significant event? that has not occurred in the industry since 2000.
    > `----
    >
    > http://enterpriselinuxlog.blogs.tech...-report-shows/

    Interesting - experience more valuable than paper...

  4. Re: [News] 'Hobbyists' May be More Skilled Than 'Certified' Professionals

    Mark Kent wrote:
    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >
    >> Noncertified IT pros make more than those with certified
    >> skills, report shows
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> A new report from industry research firm Foote Partners LLC
    >> finds that the average pay for noncertified IT skills topped
    >> that for certified professionals while compensation for IT
    >> jobs increased again in the third quarter of 2007. CEO and
    >> Chief Research Officer, David Foote calls this ?a
    >> significant event? that has not occurred in the industry
    >> since 2000.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://enterpriselinuxlog.blogs.tech...-report-shows/

    > Interesting - experience more valuable than paper...

    IMHO, it has always been that way. Certification allows one to
    get his/her foot in the door, if they have no experience or want
    to change career fields.

    I have seen my share of so-called certified experts who are not.
    Just because an engineer carries the letters "P.E." after their
    nym doesn't mean they are competent, only that they could
    academically pass the test. Certification is a national fetish
    (at least in US).

    --
    HPT

  5. Re: [News] 'Hobbyists' May be More Skilled Than 'Certified' Professionals

    ____/ High Plains Thumper on Saturday 20 October 2007 03:15 : \____

    > Mark Kent wrote:
    >> Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >>
    >>> Noncertified IT pros make more than those with certified
    >>> skills, report shows
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> A new report from industry research firm Foote Partners LLC
    >>> finds that the average pay for noncertified IT skills topped
    >>> that for certified professionals while compensation for IT
    >>> jobs increased again in the third quarter of 2007. CEO and
    >>> Chief Research Officer, David Foote calls this ?a
    >>> significant event? that has not occurred in the industry
    >>> since 2000.
    >>> `----

    http://enterpriselinuxlog.blogs.tech...-report-shows/

    >> Interesting - experience more valuable than paper...

    > IMHO, it has always been that way. Certification allows one to
    > get his/her foot in the door, if they have no experience or want
    > to change career fields.
    >
    > I have seen my share of so-called certified experts who are not.
    > Just because an engineer carries the letters "P.E." after their
    > nym doesn't mean they are competent, only that they could
    > academically pass the test. Certification is a national fetish
    > (at least in US).

    It's a visible discriminant, but it means almost nothing in practice
    (experience is more valuable). Certifications are a way of telling apart
    people who bluff and people who proved some level of knowledge.

    The co-founder of WordPress studies history and dropped out when he was about
    19. He is a very talented programmer and he understands computing very well.
    The same goes to many technical writers and Web programmers that came from a
    literature background.

    Stallman never studies CS. He studies biology and he too insists that
    certifications mean little or nothing. There's a recent short interviews I can
    find for you... he complains about new laws in Brasil that forbid access to
    some computer unless you have some degree, IIRC.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | #ff0000 Hot Chilli Peppers
    Cpu(s): 26.8%us, 4.5%sy, 1.0%ni, 63.5%id, 3.8%wa, 0.3%hi, 0.1%si, 0.0%st

  6. Re: 'Hobbyists' May be More Skilled Than 'Certified' Professionals

    On Oct 20, 3:15 pm, High Plains Thumper
    wrote:

    > I have seen my share of so-called certified experts who are not.
    > Just because an engineer carries the letters "P.E." after their
    > nym doesn't mean they are competent, only that they could
    > academically pass the test. Certification is a national fetish
    > (at least in US).

    But see:
    http://www.ncees.org/licensure/licensure_for_engineers/

    with respect to P.E's. Note that step 3 requires work experience.

    You just cannot do a P.E. course as such and sit one exam. The whole
    P.E. program from Freshman to P.E. would take at least seven years and
    most probably longer. Where I come from (not USA), you have to attend
    a minimum number of hours in training courses each year and submit to
    a five yearly review in order to continue calling yourself the local
    version of a P.E.

+ Reply to Thread