[News] The "Wow" May Finally be Found... in GNU/Linux - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] The "Wow" May Finally be Found... in GNU/Linux - Linux ; I have lost my Wow ,----[ Quote ] | With PCs or laptops at my house now containing Windows, Linux, and Apple | computers, I'm a three-operating system household. | | [...] | | Perhaps, I'll be saying "Wow" when ...

  1. [News] The "Wow" May Finally be Found... in GNU/Linux

    I have lost my Wow

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | With PCs or laptops at my house now containing Windows, Linux, and Apple
    | computers, I'm a three-operating system household.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Perhaps, I'll be saying "Wow" when KDE4 for Linux is released.
    `----

    http://cmsreport.com/node/1269

    Related:

    KDE4 is Very Attractive

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | KDE4 will be a big step towards an enterprise software business based on free
    | software. The software on the big servers is there already, the desktop is
    | next. - kdedevelopers blogs
    `----

    http://linux.wordpress.com/2007/08/0...ry-attractive/

  2. Re: [News] The "Wow" May Finally be Found... in GNU/Linux

    wrote
    on Fri, 19 Oct 2007 13:24:07 +0100
    <1912803.8OWKVUNoPs@schestowitz.com>:
    > I have lost my Wow
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | With PCs or laptops at my house now containing Windows, Linux, and Apple
    > | computers, I'm a three-operating system household.
    > |
    > | [...]
    > |
    > | Perhaps, I'll be saying "Wow" when KDE4 for Linux is released.
    > `----
    >
    > http://cmsreport.com/node/1269

    This is assuming Windows Vista ever had the "wow" to
    begin with, except perhaps the sardonic notion of "Wow.
    I could have installed Linux instead and bought lots of
    extra hardware, and I got *this* junk?". :-)

    It's a saturated market out there, especially with mobiles
    becoming increasingly like computers, and computers
    becoming increasingly mobile.

    "Computers in the future will contain 1,000 vacuum tubes
    and probably weigh more than 1.5 tons".
    - Popular Mechanics, 1949

    (There are a number of variants of this quote flitting
    around the Internet, and I'm not at all sure of its
    accuracy, but I'm too lazy to look up the issue in a public
    library -- assuming such issues are even available in the
    Perodicals section nowadays.)

    A scan for "lightest, sleekest phones" suggests 2.7
    ounces, and include such things as 1.3 megapixel cameras
    and Bluetooth, as contemporary counterexamples to this
    amusing quote.

    http://www.wirelessweek.com/more-thi...ake-debut.aspx

    One might also look at, among other things,

    http://www.thocp.net/timeline/1949.htm

    which shows the BINAC, EDSAC, Manchester Mark I,
    EDVAC, Pilot ACE, IBM CP(e)C, SWAC, Mark III. This is
    approximately the machines in service at the time George
    Orwell's book _1984_ was first being sold -- the book is
    still very eerie, but parts of it such as the transmittal
    of paper slips (New York still has pneumatic tubes, which
    is presumably where he got the idea) are increasingly
    anachronistic, even if one discounts things such as the
    price of commodities such as chocolate :-). 10 cents for
    chocolate?

    (One wonders whatever happened to that
    "DSIR ACE Pilot Model 1950 NPL" placard/masthead/logo sign.
    I don't think that would fit in one's pocket, never mind
    the glowing tubes and plugboard it's attached to. And then
    there's the heat removal/air conditioning...)

    > Related:
    >
    > KDE4 is Very Attractive
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | KDE4 will be a big step towards an enterprise software business based on free
    > | software. The software on the big servers is there already, the desktop is
    > | next. - kdedevelopers blogs
    > `----
    >
    > http://linux.wordpress.com/2007/08/0...ry-attractive/

    A cross platform solution. Hm. I suppose that makes sense
    for MacOSX and Linux, but Vista? Still...some consider
    Windows a challenge worthy of being risen to. (I'm not
    sure I do, but it's all organization and how one deals
    with data, user presentation/UI, etc. However, Windows
    *is* relatively open, if one knows where to stick in the
    crowbar, and efforts such as Cygwin are also available to
    lay down the X foundation KDE 3 currently needs. Also,
    Microsoft may welcome such efforts, to sucker in a new
    generation for later lock-in.)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    If your CPU can't stand the heat, get another fan.