Office 2007 downgraded to 2003

,----[ Quote ]
| It seems that there are people who really do not like the new interface and
| find it more limiting that what Vole was turning out four years ago.

Partners Fix Up Office 2007 and Windows Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| On Friday, Addintools, based in Hai-nan, China released Classic Menu for
| Office 2007, after more than six months of beta testing. The user interface
| enhancement does what Office 2007 can't: Revert to the Office 2003 look and
| feel. *

Why Microsoft's ribbon sucks

,----[ Quote ]
| Bottom line, I have a lot of respect for Microsoft and many of the
| outstanding people that work there (e.g. Bill Buxton).
| But the new ribbon sucks.
| I've been using it daily for months (Word, Powerpoint, Excel), and I
| consistently stumble on the same functions over and over again. I doubt I
| will ever master it. And I'm an interface designer! *

July 1: No more Office 2003 for OEMs

,----[ Quote ]
| It’s only been six months since Microsoft launched Office 2007 at retail. But
| as of July 1, 2007, *Microsoft won’t be making the OEM version of Office 2003
| to its PC partners, a k a “OEMs.” *
| [...]
| Microsoft has told OEMs that they must stop selling Windows XP preloaded on
| machines as of January 29, 2008. Retailers also are required to stop selling
| XP on that date. *

Poor Design by Microsoft - "Save As" Button in 2007 Excel has been located!

,----[ Quote ]
| In an experiment 4 out of 5 users took longer than 2 minutes to find
| the SAVE AS button. And 3 of those users needed to use the PAPER CLIP
| (CLIPPY). This is clearly poor design upon Microsoft. They never think
| about the end user. The menu structure is horrific and it has been
| proven inefficient!

Bold Redesign Improves Office 2007 But Learning Curve May Be Too Steep for
Some Users

,----[ Quote ]
| "it requires a steep learning curve that many people might rather avoid.
| In my own tests, I was cursing the program for weeks"

Office 2007 may be Microsoft's Titanic: former Government IT boss

,----[ Quote ]
| Bill Gates has been talking up Office 2007 ahead of its business launch
| on November 30. However, the recently departed deputy CIO of one of
| Australia's biggest government Microsoft sites believes introducing
| the new version of Microsoft Office may be the company's biggest
| ever disaster.

Question: why do I need to upgrade to Office 2007?

,----[ Quote ]
| Much has been said and written about Microsoft's "bold", "gutsy",
| and "innovative" initiative of releasing Office 2007, an office
| productivity suite with a totally new user interface. However, the
| question that is bound to be on the lips of every user will be: "why
| do I need to upgrade?" Microsoft doesn't really have a good answer.
| [...]
| Microsoft, however, claims to have come up with something better
| and more intuitive - the Ribbon. Such a claim begs the question:
| "If the new user interface of Office 2007 is so intuitive, why does
| it have a learning curve?" And it does have a learning curve - a
| very steep learning curve.

Office 2007 Review: One Step Forward, Two Steps Back - Part 1

,----[ Quote ]
| I've been using Office 2007 for a couple of weeks and I'm convinced
| that Microsoft missed an opportunity to change the way we relate to
| software by taking one step toward radical change, but ultimately
| failing when it came to implementation.

Vole redesigns our Office space

,----[ Quote ]
| It's hard to define, but the new office suite feels good and is
| comfortable to use. That said if your requirements don't stretch
| beyond the normal usage of the odd letter, a spreadsheet to
| balance your budget and some email then there isn't a lot to
| recommend forking over cash for Office 2007, when there are
| several free options out there are increasingly attractive
| and compatible with Office documents.
| The Good
| Ribbon interface quite intuitive
| Interface is attractive and easy to use
| The Bad
| Quite expensive
| Free applications available that can perform the same tasks
| No major improvements over previous versions
| The Ugly
| Too many components seem solely designed to leverage synergies or something
| No option to revert to old interface

Is Imitation The Sincerest Form of Flattery?

,----[ Quote ]