Re: [News] [Rival] Interpreting Microsoft's meaning of the word "value" - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: [News] [Rival] Interpreting Microsoft's meaning of the word "value" - Linux ; On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 11:43:04 +0100, [H]omer wrote: > One of Sweaty's favourite words, but in the context of Microsoft, does > it actually mean anything, or is it just marketing gibberish? > > Microsoft: Buy from us because ...

  1. Re: [News] [Rival] Interpreting Microsoft's meaning of the word "value"

    On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 11:43:04 +0100, [H]omer wrote:

    > One of Sweaty's favourite words, but in the context of Microsoft, does
    > it actually mean anything, or is it just marketing gibberish?
    >
    > Microsoft: Buy from us because we are Really Big
    >
    > .----
    > | When did Microsoft lose its way and forget that customers look
    > | to it for value, with value being defined as "software solutions
    > | that solve business problems"? Of course Microsoft continues to
    > | push such customer value, but it feels to me that the company
    > | increasingly dilutes this core message with other, specious
    > | measures of value.
    > |
    > | Microsoft hawks intellectual property value ("We probably won't
    > | sue you!"). Now, as Glyn Moody points out, the company is pitching
    > | "bigness" value.
    > |
    > | What's that? Basically, it's value that derives from being big.
    > `----
    >
    > http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9800260-16.html
    >

    > It's like saying "Windows is everywhere, therefore it's the best".
    >
    > Coincidentally, ****roaches are everywhere also. Are they the best too?

    You could say they are the best insects, them or flies, because both are
    a successful. Wasps, they are maybe more successfull than both, because
    the family of wasps includes ants, and anyone who has seen Antz knows that
    ants are remarkably intelligent.

    As for weeds, We have a saying up norf, 'weeds are just flowers that have
    learnt to be very successfull'. They can grow more quickly in a greater
    variety of situations.

    Therefore up norf we do not mow our lawns or unweed our borders. Some
    people would call us wise, but mostly they just call us lazy sods.

    > And this "value" mantra that Sweaty keeps repeating like a broken
    > record, is utter bull****. "We bring value...", yeah - the "value" of
    > DRM. The "value" of stealth updates. The "value" of no Vista drivers, or
    > even compatible software. It's 10 billion dollars worth of "value" down
    > the toilet if you ask me. It sounds like Sweaty is trying to convince
    > /himself/. He certainly hasn't convinced /me/.

    Maths, its just a matter of maths.

    Master Ballmer earns approximately $1,200,000 per anum. So if Sir Ballmer
    sells one million copies of Vista, then each person only needs to pay
    1.2M/1M = 1.2 dallars per copy to pay Lord Ballmer's wages. If only one
    person bought it, he would have to pay $1,200,000 for it.

    So volume of sales does change the value and Ballmer looks quite big on
    his photograph therefore hence, big and value must be the same thing.

    Now we have that sorted out lets have another look at how we determin
    that a person is a witch, we will need one ducking stool and a pond for
    this little experiment, oh, and a female volunteer or two.

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Interpreting Microsoft's meaning of the word "value"

    ____/ BearItAll on Friday 19 October 2007 12:35 : \____

    > if Sir Ballmer
    > sells

    The patent terrorist was knighted too? When did /that/ happen? And when will
    that scummy Gates have his knighthood retracted? Iowa has shown his real
    fraudulent mind and that should suffice.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Oracle: Linux adoption to accelerate