[News] Thai Company Unveils New Linux-based Thin Client (Just 40 Quid!) - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Thai Company Unveils New Linux-based Thin Client (Just 40 Quid!) - Linux ; World's lowest cost Linux thin client? ,----[ Quote ] | Bangkok-based Norhtec has unveiled a sub-$85 mini-PC claimed to be the most | affordable Linux thin client system to date. The "ultra-low-power" | MicroClient JrSX is based on a 300MHz ...

  1. [News] Thai Company Unveils New Linux-based Thin Client (Just 40 Quid!)

    World's lowest cost Linux thin client?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Bangkok-based Norhtec has unveiled a sub-$85 mini-PC claimed to be the most
    | affordable Linux thin client system to date. The "ultra-low-power"
    | MicroClient JrSX is based on a 300MHz x86-compatible SoC (system-on-chip) and
    | includes both CompactFlash and 2.5-inch hard drive storage options, along
    | with 10/100Mbps Ethernet networking.
    `----

    Related:

    Can Linux stop global warming?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A privately held German company with offices in the U.K., U.S., Cyprus, and
    | Malta is touting its Linux-based thin-client technology as a climate change
    | remediant. "2X Ltd" says businesses can halve computer-related electrical
    | consumption by replacing PCs with Linux-based thin clients and its
    | centralized management software.
    `----

    http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS5277050440.html

    GNU/Linux thin-clients

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I've been looking for a good GNU/Linux thin-client for my employer,
    | a school district in the US. We have scores of aging desktops
    | (primarily Intel PII 350 MHz and PIII 800 MHz systems) and looking
    | more into the mobile arena for most computing needs.
    `----

    http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/...x_thin-clients

    CLI Announces a $199 Thin Client

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Yesterday, Computer Lab International (CLI), a leading provider of
    | thin client and text terminal products, announced a promotional
    | offer that lowers the pricing barrier to entry on CLI thin clients.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Product features include:
    | - Cost-effective, easy-to-use, and highly reliable, stable,
    | and secure Mandrake Linux operating system
    `----

    http://opensourceblog.itproportal.com/?p=245

  2. Re: [News] Thai Company Unveils New Linux-based Thin Client (Just 40 Quid!)

    [H]omer espoused:

    >> World's lowest cost Linux thin client?
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | Bangkok-based Norhtec has unveiled a sub-$85 mini-PC

    > The way things are going, it'll soon be cheaper to buy a PC than a
    > packet of /fags/. Mind you, the rate at which the price of /those/
    > buggers are going up, it'll soon be cheaper to buy a /car/.

    Argos were advertising a DVD player, with remote, mains lead and moulded
    plug, for 14 quid last week. Even the batteries in the remote must cost
    at least a couple of quid to replace.

    This is going on against a backdrop of increasing commodity prices.
    Soon, it really is likely to be less expensive to buy a TV every week
    than your food and fuel.