Is my kernel too old? 2.4.20-31.9 - Linux

This is a discussion on Is my kernel too old? 2.4.20-31.9 - Linux ; I have a redhat 9 server/gateway/firewall for my home LAN and I am quite tickled with it. I use rp-pppoe-3.5-1 to connect to my ISP on a Westell Wirespeed 2100 ADSL modem, run in bridged ethernet mode to allow the ...

  1. Is my kernel too old? 2.4.20-31.9

    I have a redhat 9 server/gateway/firewall for my home LAN and I am quite
    tickled with it. I use rp-pppoe-3.5-1 to connect to my ISP on a Westell
    Wirespeed 2100 ADSL modem, run in bridged ethernet mode to allow the rp
    script to login (PPPoE, I know that sucks but it works and is quite fast.
    Keeps a steady and constant 3Mbps down/380Kbps up bandwidth.). Have 3
    FQDNs on the machine.

    Anyway, I was seeing someone in the newsgroup reporting a problem and
    most of the newsgroup agreed that he should update his kernel. Mine is:

    [ohmster@ohmster ohmster]$ uname -a
    Linux ohmster.com 2.4.20-31.9 #1 Tue Apr 13 18:04:23 EDT 2004 i686 i686
    i386 GNU/Linux

    Last night I did an "apt-get upgrade" and pulled in about 70 packages, I
    assumed that I would get a new kernel with this upgrade and had the
    nvidia driver all set to run again when this happened. After the upgrade
    and rebooting, no more Internet. Ack! My girl was pissed (QUITE pissed!)
    and I was moaning. I could not get the rp script to login at all, kept
    getting "Chap authentication failed" Chap? Who uses chap? I use PAP
    Secrets. I could not get it to work, no way, and after about 3 hours gave
    up when memory served me well, not to upgrade the rp script. I took out
    rp-pppoe-3.5-2 and went back to rp-pppoe-3.5-1 and got right back online
    again.

    After all of this, still no new kernel, is it on an exclude list
    somewhere? I think so, back in the redhat up2date launcher days, the
    kernel was in an exclude list but I don't remember where that might be.

    Anyway, all is well and things are working just fine, do you all think
    that I should upgrade to a newer kernel, if so, how to make apt-get "get
    me one"? Or should I just keep the "If it ain't broke, then don't fix it
    point of view"? Comments please.

    Thanks.

    --
    ~Ohmster
    ohmster at newsguy dot com

  2. Re: Is my kernel too old? 2.4.20-31.9

    Ohmster wrote:

    > Anyway, all is well and things are working just fine, do you all think
    > that I should upgrade to a newer kernel, if so, how to make apt-get
    > "get me one"? Or should I just keep the "If it ain't broke, then don't
    > fix it point of view"? Comments please.

    Well the latest available one is; kernel-2.4.20-42.9.legacy 20-Feb-2005

    Since you have a highspeed connection from the console or xterm session
    try something like(assuming you do use the i686 kernels);

    rpm -ivh
    http://download.fedoralegacy.org/red...egacy.i686.rpm

    The above is one line with a space after '-ivh' and before 'http'

    Visit; http://fedoralegacy.org/download/

    Modify your apt configuration as described here;
    http://fedoralegacy.org/docs/apt-rh9.php

  3. Re: Is my kernel too old? 2.4.20-31.9

    Lenard scribbled on the stall wall:
    > Ohmster wrote:
    >
    >> Anyway, all is well and things are working just fine, do you all think
    >> that I should upgrade to a newer kernel, if so, how to make apt-get
    >> "get me one"? Or should I just keep the "If it ain't broke, then don't
    >> fix it point of view"? Comments please.

    > Well the latest available one is; kernel-2.4.20-42.9.legacy 20-Feb-2005

    Actually the latest 2.4.x is more like 2.4.29 but he'd have to build his
    kernel from source. That's the problem with distros. Questions start
    to become distro specific instead of beaing addressable as (linux issues).

    If it ain't broke...don't fix it. Unless there is a real reason to
    upgrade just keep on using 2.4.20.

  4. Re: Is my kernel too old? 2.4.20-31.9

    noone@uber.usachoice.net (Wiseguy) wrote in news:42405d42$1_1@127.0.0.1:

    > If it ain't broke...don't fix it. Unless there is a real reason to
    > upgrade just keep on using 2.4.20.

    Hmmm, kewl. Thanks bud!

    --
    ~Ohmster
    ohmster at newsguy dot com

  5. Re: Is my kernel too old? 2.4.20-31.9

    Lenard wrote in
    news:KdV%d.23326$hU7.6563@newssvr33.news.prodigy.c om:

    > Well the latest available one is; kernel-2.4.20-42.9.legacy
    > 20-Feb-2005
    >
    > Since you have a highspeed connection from the console or xterm
    > session try something like(assuming you do use the i686 kernels);
    >
    > rpm -ivh
    > http://download.fedoralegacy.org/red...rnel-2.4.20-42
    > .9.legacy.i686.rpm
    >
    > The above is one line with a space after '-ivh' and before 'http'
    >
    > Visit; http://fedoralegacy.org/download/
    >
    > Modify your apt configuration as described here;
    > http://fedoralegacy.org/docs/apt-rh9.php

    Very useful info, thanks Lenard.

    --
    ~Ohmster