PROOF - Windows more environmentally friendly than linux - Linux

This is a discussion on PROOF - Windows more environmentally friendly than linux - Linux ; http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=880&num=1 Linux vs. Windows Power Usage Published on October 16, 2007. In our "desktop usage" power tests, both Fedora 8 Test 3 and Ubuntu 7.10 had consumed more power than both versions of Microsoft Windows tested (XP & Vista). Fedora ...

  1. PROOF - Windows more environmentally friendly than linux

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=880&num=1

    Linux vs. Windows Power Usage
    Published on October 16, 2007.

    In our "desktop usage" power tests, both Fedora 8 Test 3 and Ubuntu 7.10 had
    consumed more power than both versions of Microsoft Windows tested (XP &
    Vista). Fedora and Ubuntu were consuming 65 Watts while Windows XP had only
    consumed 58 Watts and Windows Vista was in the middle with 62 Watts.

  2. Re: PROOF - Windows shills fake another "test".

    Sue Romer wrote:

    > http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=880&num=1
    >

    > Linux vs. Windows Power Usage
    > Published on October 16, 2007.
    >
    > In our "desktop usage" power tests, both Fedora 8 Test 3 and Ubuntu 7.10
    > had consumed more power than both versions of Microsoft Windows tested (XP
    > & Vista). Fedora and Ubuntu were consuming 65 Watts while Windows XP had
    > only consumed 58 Watts and Windows Vista was in the middle with 62 Watts.

    Linux is responsible for climate change!!!

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  3. Re: PROOF - Windows more environmentally friendly than linux

    Sue Romer :

    > http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=880&num=1
    >

    > Linux vs. Windows Power Usage
    > Published on October 16, 2007.
    >
    > In our "desktop usage" power tests, both Fedora 8 Test 3 and Ubuntu 7.10 had
    > consumed more power than both versions of Microsoft Windows tested (XP &
    > Vista). Fedora and Ubuntu were consuming 65 Watts while Windows XP had only
    > consumed 58 Watts and Windows Vista was in the middle with 62 Watts.

    Yeah, we heard, but you're still a loser.

    I'm totally in a troll mood.

    Tell me how to measure the consumtion of my home desktop box and I'll do
    it. It's Slack 12 on a 3 year old box.

    --
    I deleted this fortune, you'll have top pretend you read something funny
    or relevant.

    http://www.websterscafe.com

  4. Re: PROOF - Windows more environmentally friendly than linux

    In article ,
    jason@jason.websterscafe.com says...
    > Sue Romer :
    > >

    > > http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=880&num=1
    > >

    > > Linux vs. Windows Power Usage
    > > Published on October 16, 2007.
    > >
    > > In our "desktop usage" power tests, both Fedora 8 Test 3 and Ubuntu 7.10 had
    > > consumed more power than both versions of Microsoft Windows tested (XP &
    > > Vista). Fedora and Ubuntu were consuming 65 Watts while Windows XP had only
    > > consumed 58 Watts and Windows Vista was in the middle with 62 Watts.

    > Yeah, we heard, but you're still a loser.
    >
    > I'm totally in a troll mood.
    >
    > Tell me how to measure the consumtion of my home desktop box and I'll do
    > it. It's Slack 12 on a 3 year old box.

    <http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...initialSearch=
    1&url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=watt+meter&Go.x=0&Go.y=0&Go=Go>
    --
    "There are 10 kinds of people in the world:
    those that understand binary and those that don't." - Unknown

  5. Re: PROOF - Windows more environmentally friendly than linux

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Sue Romer belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=880&num=1
    >
    > Linux vs. Windows Power Usage
    > Published on October 16, 2007.
    >
    > In our "desktop usage" power tests, both Fedora 8 Test 3 and Ubuntu 7.10 had
    > consumed more power than both versions of Microsoft Windows tested (XP &
    > Vista). Fedora and Ubuntu were consuming 65 Watts while Windows XP had only
    > consumed 58 Watts and Windows Vista was in the middle with 62 Watts.

    The FUD just gets funnier and funnier!

    Whatever happened to the "fonts" FUD?

    --
    Tux rox!

  6. Linux sent my power bill through the roof!!!

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Gregory Shearman belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > Sue Romer wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=880&num=1
    >>
    >> Linux vs. Windows Power Usage

    > Linux is responsible for climate change!!!

    It's all those god-damn Gnome/KDE daemons!!!!

    Frickin' DBUS! Samba! Font server!

    I better kill all those power-eating getty's, too!

    Spurious interrupts!

    http://www.linuxpowertop.org/known.php

    Known issues, tips and tricks

    Xorg | i915@pci | kernel | GAIM | Firefox | Evolution | dhcdbd | ntp
    | S06cpuspeed | ipw2100 | acpi (ibm_acpi) | mixer_applet2 |
    appletouch | ipw3945 | knotify | hdaps | gvim | gksu | timidity | mpd

    --
    Is it phoronix, or moronix?

  7. Re: PROOF - Windows more environmentally friendly than linux

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Handover Phist

    wrote
    on Fri, 19 Oct 2007 05:23:32 GMT
    :
    > Sue Romer :
    >>

    >> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=880&num=1
    >>

    >> Linux vs. Windows Power Usage
    >> Published on October 16, 2007.
    >>
    >> In our "desktop usage" power tests, both Fedora 8 Test 3 and Ubuntu 7.10 had
    >> consumed more power than both versions of Microsoft Windows tested (XP &
    >> Vista). Fedora and Ubuntu were consuming 65 Watts while Windows XP had only
    >> consumed 58 Watts and Windows Vista was in the middle with 62 Watts.

    > Yeah, we heard, but you're still a loser.
    >
    > I'm totally in a troll mood.
    >
    > Tell me how to measure the consumtion of my home desktop box and I'll do
    > it. It's Slack 12 on a 3 year old box.

    Shouldn't be too difficult.

    http://www.google.com/search?q=porta...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

    coughs up

    http://www.powermeterstore.com/index...oducts_id=4124

    and

    http://www.powercostmonitor.com/c139...wer_meters.php

    among other things.

    A very simple if not all that accurate method for those
    so equipped, however, might be to listen to one's laptop's
    fan. The nx9010, for instance, has a variable-speed fan;
    it goes faster as the CPU gets hotter.

    Whether Linux is properly equipped to handle hibernate,
    suspend, and powersaving modes on a laptop isn't clear to
    me, though.

    (No, I don't have Vista on said laptop.)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    If your CPU can't stand the heat, get another fan.